Author Topic: TR - Fairfield and Great Rigg  (Read 3170 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: TR - Fairfield and Great Rigg
« Reply #15 on: 08:55:11, 05/01/21 »
Thank you for the replies, windyrigg, vghikers, April - my last fell walk for some time, I fear - so glad that I took the opportunity.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

BrionyB

« Reply #16 on: 12:19:16, 08/01/21 »
Beautiful - there's not much better than that combination of snowy hills, clear skies and sunshine.  O0  How different the familiar hills look all covered in snow.

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 12:34:11, 08/01/21 »
Loved these so much Richard went through about 6 times O0

Can smell the fresh air!

As someone who is unlikely to be walking in the hills in snow, just wondering how easy is it to navigate your way?

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 09:45:56, 10/01/21 »
Beautiful - there's not much better than that combination of snowy hills, clear skies and sunshine.  O0  How different the familiar hills look all covered in snow.

Thank you for the reply, Briony - yes, a covering of snow certainly adds to the majesty of the hills. Wonderful.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 09:48:10, 10/01/21 »
Loved these so much Richard went through about 6 times O0
Can smell the fresh air!
As someone who is unlikely to be walking in the hills in snow, just wondering how easy is it to navigate your way?

Thanks Dodgy  :)
Navigation was easy in the clear conditions, but care would be needed on the top of Fairfield in the mist, as the plateau is largely featureless.

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 12:04:34, 10/01/21 »

Thanks Dodgy  :)
Navigation was easy in the clear conditions, but care would be needed on the top of Fairfield in the mist, as the plateau is largely featureless.
I once met a guy whilst walking along Pennine Way from Grassholme to Middleton who was great company, telling me about his walks. He mentioned how he walked in all kinds of weather, including snow. I couldn't get my head around how he'd navigate across similar terrain, with all the ditches etc covered in deep snow. Still cannot! He just laughed and said with a compass!

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 18:37:15, 11/01/21 »
I once met a guy whilst walking along Pennine Way from Grassholme to Middleton who was great company, telling me about his walks. He mentioned how he walked in all kinds of weather, including snow. I couldn't get my head around how he'd navigate across similar terrain, with all the ditches etc covered in deep snow. Still cannot! He just laughed and said with a compass!

On busy hills there is usually a well beaten path through the snow. But it can be tricky in fresh snow, especially in a white out. I've only experienced a true white out once, up on the Munros around Glen Clova - especially dangerous if there are conrniced cliff edges around! In that instance it helped that I had a friend with me - two heads are better than one.

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 12:31:40, 12/01/21 »

On busy hills there is usually a well beaten path through the snow. But it can be tricky in fresh snow, especially in a white out. I've only experienced a true white out once, up on the Munros around Glen Clova - especially dangerous if there are conrniced cliff edges around! In that instance it helped that I had a friend with me - two heads are better than one.
Once worked about 1/2 mile along a small road, when it snowed it frequently blew across from fields causing white outs, blocking the road in minutes. Often walked along, it was unbelievable!

Watched 'The Yorkshire Dales and The Lakes' on More4 last night. Showed a couple of guys going up above Red Tarn to Helvellyn to ski down, Wow! I thought... Must have been very keen to take all that time and effort to walk up for a few minutes ski-ing back down. Than again I have not experienced the thrill of ski-ing.

BrionyB

« Reply #23 on: 22:15:23, 12/01/21 »

White-out is really disorienting. I've only come across it when skiing in the Alps, never on the British hills (but then I don't really do high-level winter walking). I remember falling over for no reason except that I lost all sense of which way was up and which was down   :o .

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 11:40:12, 13/01/21 »
. I remember falling over for no reason except that I lost all sense of which way was up and which was down  :o .

That sounds scary! Although maybe a bit funny now!

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 10:52:42, 15/01/21 »
splendid pics  O0
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 09:27:14, 16/01/21 »
Thanks Pleb - amazing things, smartphone cameras.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 09:30:47, 17/01/21 »
Route on Viwranger HERE, for anyone who is interested.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy