Author Topic: Complete novice  (Read 2275 times)

Swty

Complete novice
« on: 16:37:06, 28/12/20 »
Hello all,
            I am hoping to do some wild camping with my dog this year just started purchasing my equipment.
Hoping for plenty of advice from people on here and maybe even the odd meet,where I could spend the night draining people of their experience.😂
Just for the record I live in north wales.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
Re: Complete novice
« Reply #1 on: 16:50:50, 28/12/20 »
Welcome to the forum from Aberdeenshire

Swty

« Reply #2 on: 16:53:10, 28/12/20 »
Thank you sir.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:31:19, 28/12/20 »
Welcome from Devon :)

What breed is your dog?
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Swty

« Reply #4 on: 18:46:39, 28/12/20 »
Thanks for the welcome.I like the Devon area.My dog is a Rottweiler and she loves going on adventures.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:14:47, 28/12/20 »
Welcome from Liverpool - love rotties but, in the words of the film, paraphrased, "you're gonna need a bigger tent".

Paul

Swty

« Reply #6 on: 19:39:38, 28/12/20 »
Thanks for the welcome ,I bought a two man tent an oex evolution lynx 2 after seeing the English woodsman on YouTube use one seemed enough space.My problem will be carrying extra water for her.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:46:08, 28/12/20 »
Thanks for the welcome ,I bought a two man tent an oex evolution lynx 2 after seeing the English woodsman on YouTube use one seemed enough space.My problem will be carrying extra water for her.
Can you get a backpack for the dog, so that she can carry her own water?

Edit: You can. Amazon have a number of saddlebag style packs for different size dogs.

Swty

« Reply #8 on: 20:26:46, 28/12/20 »
That’s why I joined this forum,I never even thought of that.

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 21:15:30, 28/12/20 »
Welcome from Somerset
It's all uphill from here.

Swty

« Reply #10 on: 21:19:19, 28/12/20 »
Thank you.

windyrigg

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 09:51:26, 29/12/20 »
Greetings from Northumberland  :)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 10:17:38, 29/12/20 »
Welcome from Portsmouth. A local farmer I know has a Rottweiler and his dog is a friendly old soul but when I'm hiking (or running) I find that dogs can often be a bit unpredictable, both big and small ones. For me, farmyards are the places to worry about, what's lurking behinds sheds etc? And then, of course, there are cows, geese and ducks to take note of. I've never yet had a problem with sheep or horses, although in 2019 a horse did creep up behind me, took my hat off of my head and then dropped in on the grass a few yards away!

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 10:29:08, 29/12/20 »
My problem will be carrying extra water for her.
Get some way of filtering water for yourself and, if you can stop her drinking straight from the source, for her too. Search for Sawyer Filter and Treaveltap. Not having to carry all your water is worth its weight in gold.

I used to camp with my dog when I was in my teens (a long, long time ago) and he was very restless, wanted to go out a couple of times in the night, which he never did at home, and to be up and out early. He also used to lay on my head during the night, I would wake up suffocating in damp dog undercarriage.
You may want to try with her either in your garden or fairly close to your car and home before venturing out in to the middle of nowhere.

Swty

« Reply #14 on: 10:45:44, 29/12/20 »
Welcome from Portsmouth. A local farmer I know has a Rottweiler.
Thanks for the welcome I live in north wales but work in Chichester so not far from you.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy