Author Topic: Advice for First Timers to England  (Read 6706 times)

supergirl42

Advice for First Timers to England
« on: 01:57:37, 26/10/07 »
Hi,

I just found your forum today and wondered if anyone might have some advice for me.

My friend and I are planning a walking trip to England for Summer 2008. We are from Texas and neither of us has been to England before. Our initial thought was to do the C2C trip, but we are not sure we'll be able to get enough time off work to do this. Can anyone make suggestions about a good walking trip that is perhaps about a week long?

Also, we'd like to sign up for a group trip with a guide. Any touring groups that you recommend? We are 39 & 40 years old---are there trips by age group or are the groups typically a mixture?

Thanks in advance for any advice you might have!

Snowman

Re: Advice for First Timers to England
« Reply #1 on: 09:11:17, 26/10/07 »
Hi Supergirl,

I know what you mean about the Coast to Coast.    Lovely walk which I want to do one day, but currently the duration is a little too much (time off work, family etc).

If you're looking for a week's walking, the 2 Moors Way is a great walk.    I did it about 8 years ago and loved it.    It crosses 2 of England's National Parks, including Dartmoor which is probably my favourite place to walk.    If you like a bit of history (or rather pre-history) the route takes you past Grimspound which is an old Iron Age settlement, and which unlike most such sites, you can actually walk around.    The route also has diversions, so that you can either stick to the moors and camp out, or take a route to a village for accommodation.

This URL will take you to a 'taster':

http://www.devon.gov.uk/contrast/index/transport/public_rights_of_way/where_to_walk_and_ride/two_moors_way.htm?contrast=2

Good luck,

S.

KIDSTYPIKE

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 10:46:27, 26/10/07 »
Hi,

I just found your forum today and wondered if anyone might have some advice for me.

My friend and I are planning a walking trip to England for Summer 2008. We are from Texas and neither of us has been to England before. Our initial thought was to do the C2C trip, but we are not sure we'll be able to get enough time off work to do this. Can anyone make suggestions about a good walking trip that is perhaps about a week long?

Also, we'd like to sign up for a group trip with a guide. Any touring groups that you recommend? We are 39 & 40 years old---are there trips by age group or are the groups typically a mixture?

Thanks in advance for any advice you might have!

There's the Cumbria Way which runs through the heart of the Lake District about 70 miles in length.
This is a ling to a company that does guided tours but if you "Google" you'll find many more:
http://www.mickledore.co.uk/index.htm

Dave

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:39:16, 26/10/07 »

Hi there,

How many days/nights are you aiming at?  If your trip is a week long, and you have that much time to spend, then I would say aim at 100 mile mark, if you have only, say, 5 nights to spend, then I would look at a walk with slightly less mileage.  For my own part, I'm going to throw the Wolds Way into the ring. 79 miles through the heart of the Yorkshire Wolds, from Hessle to Filey on the East Coast.

http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/yorkshirewoldsway/

I have to say, though, I do like the look of the 2 Moors Way, and it passes through a geuinely lovely area.  As nice as the Wolds Way is, it is a gentle walk, ideal for beginners to walking in the UK, and to walking in general, but it doesn't pass through any national parks.

Good look, and let us know what you decide.  O0

Snowman - thanks for that link, it's something I might consider  ;)

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:37:27, 28/10/07 »
I agree with K/Pike

Cumbrian Way

Really nice walk and great sights   O0
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:24:59, 29/10/07 »
You know, I keep swapping and changing with my next LDP  :-\

I had been considering Hadrians Wall, but have since switched to St. Cuthbert's Way (which I really like the sound of), but then the 2 Moors Way took my fancy - I like the bleak surrounding of open moorland .. and yet the Cumbria Way seems good too!!! 

So many walks, so little time!  :(

supergirl42

« Reply #6 on: 22:43:14, 29/10/07 »
Thanks Everyone! I'm checking out everyone's suggestions. I'll let you know what we choose :)

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 10:06:40, 30/10/07 »
 The Dales Way is a beautiful walk,runs from Ilkley to Bowness and is 83 miles long,kind of thing that can be done over 5-6 days.Routing finding is quite easy and it sticks to the banks of rivers,with only two short sections over open moorland.

There are several companies that organise walks along the Dales Way.Prices vary,but this one seems reasonable.This company does self guided walks,with a guide you would probably pay double.

http://www.mickledore.co.uk/holidays/dalesway.htm

Looking at their prices I doubt if you could do it any cheaper if you organised it yourself.

Organised groups tend to be very mixed.In my opinion its best to avoid them unless you like being herded like cattle.

muymalestado

« Reply #8 on: 09:27:19, 31/10/07 »
And for 2009/10 I hope you'll manage Scotland.  Developed routes like West Highland Way and Great Glen Way link Glasgow to Inverness - bit much for 1 week, so keep coming back.
I think this next one will be the top ...

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 18:20:27, 31/10/07 »
I have two excellent walking books on Scotland i mean excellent books, all though i have never been but hopefully one day, i purchased them from a local carboot sale for ten pence each, so if someone on here would like to use them if your planning a trip to Scotland i would gladly let you use them if you paid the postage,just an idea,probally a daft one but there you go.
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 20:09:25, 04/11/07 »
Think it is a very good idea Darksky

And with that in mind, i have done a bit of walking around Scotland and i have some maps, books and photos, if anybody needs help or ideas.......?     O0

stevep

« Reply #11 on: 22:30:51, 19/11/07 »
Hi Supergirl

The Cicerone book A Tour of the Lake District (ISBN 978 1 85284 496 7) has an attractive circular route timed for seven days.  The flexibility of the route may be attractive to you as there are high and low level alternatives for each day (as well as individual day walks).  So if you're feeling good you could be doing Scafell (highest peak in England) or if you're a bit weary take the low level alternative along old pack horse routes.  It takes in some of the best bits of the Lakes both in terms of scenery and culture.

Another idea is to do the central bit of the Pennine Way (roughly from Gargrave to Dufton).  It is relatively easy in transport terms from Manchester (if that is where you fly into).  For me this middle section is much the best part of the Way.  Highlights include Malham Cove, Malham Tarn, Penyghent, Wensleydale, Upper Teesdale, High Force, Cauldron Snout, High Cup Nick.

Lastly, the Ridgeway in southern England is good for a week's walk.  It goes over an ancient trackway along the chalk ridge running roughly SW-NE.  Some very good pre-historic sites at the southern end (forget Stonehenge go to Avebury!) Also a good alternative if you are flying into Heathrow.

Y'all have a good holiday now!

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 18:58:00, 21/11/07 »
Hello and welcome SteveP  O0

stevep

« Reply #13 on: 19:47:39, 21/11/07 »
Thanks for the kind welcome Summitzero.  (wish I could think up a cool name but had to revert to option 1).  Am currently planning next year's trip so I might be doing some more posts later on ...

supergirl42

« Reply #14 on: 21:50:42, 21/11/07 »
Hi Supergirl

The Cicerone book A Tour of the Lake District (ISBN 978 1 85284 496 7) has an attractive circular route timed for seven days.  The flexibility of the route may be attractive to you as there are high and low level alternatives for each day (as well as individual day walks).  So if you're feeling good you could be doing Scafell (highest peak in England) or if you're a bit weary take the low level alternative along old pack horse routes.  It takes in some of the best bits of the Lakes both in terms of scenery and culture.

Another idea is to do the central bit of the Pennine Way (roughly from Gargrave to Dufton).  It is relatively easy in transport terms from Manchester (if that is where you fly into).  For me this middle section is much the best part of the Way.  Highlights include Malham Cove, Malham Tarn, Penyghent, Wensleydale, Upper Teesdale, High Force, Cauldron Snout, High Cup Nick.

Lastly, the Ridgeway in southern England is good for a week's walk.  It goes over an ancient trackway along the chalk ridge running roughly SW-NE.  Some very good pre-historic sites at the southern end (forget Stonehenge go to Avebury!) Also a good alternative if you are flying into Heathrow.

Y'all have a good holiday now!

Aw, thanks, stevep. I'm a librarian so I love a good ISBN and of course, Texans always love a good "Y'all"

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy