Author Topic: HELP PLEEEEEAAAASSSSEEE  (Read 5715 times)

jaytheoriginal

HELP PLEEEEEAAAASSSSEEE
« on: 14:41:48, 08/01/08 »
HI all
I'm hoping that someone can help me please?
after spending the last few days searching for all the information that i would need to do the pennine way, i have now found out that you can not do it by bike  :( now looking at the other options of either doing the bridle way or the bike route i have now found my self confused and frustrated as i think all the walkers on here, after seeing all the pictures i had my heart set on going over through the walk way.... i think you know what i mean (stunning) but the bridle way 130 miles mmm i want more... bicycle route at over 355 miles mmm - I'm riding back as well :P also the thing is is that i also wanted to be able to do some wild camping as well as i need to keep the cost down (charity) and also the fact that i am that type of person (arrrggghhh STOP) I'm getting lost again.... anyway is there anybody that can give me any good advice on what routes to take were i can also get to see the type of stunningnas as you would on the walk and include a bit of wild camping.... suggestions would be really appreciated...
all the best and happy walking
jay O0

jaytheoriginal

Re: HELP PLEEEEEAAAASSSSEEE
« Reply #1 on: 14:47:39, 08/01/08 »
P.s i was thinking about the same mileage as the walk
many thanks
jay ;)

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:00:01, 08/01/08 »
It should be possible to work out a cycling route which, more or less shadows the PW - although in the South, most communications are East-West, so you'd be going against the grain. You could use the Pennine bridleway in the South and then there are minor roads either side of Boulsworth Hill which would get you into Craven - around Earby. I think you can use the Leeds-Liverpool canal towpath - various bridleways to Horton - the PW itself to Hawes/Hardraw. The buttertubs road would take you to Keld - then a minor road to tan Hill (getting there!).... the Sleightholme road and a bridleway take you to Bowes - minor roads to Middleton - the B...whatever it is to Garrigill/Alston...., phew.... The South Tyne Trail gets you to Haltwhistle - minor roads to Alwinton then a brodleway over the Border and minor roads to K Yetholm.
Youd miss High Cup Nick, unfortunately, although the path to Garrigill from the W side of Cross fell is a bridleway, and it would be legal to ride on that.
To get there, though, you'd probably miss Teesdale.
Wild camping spots should pose too much of a problem...
What do you think so far?

How are you getting back?
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

jaytheoriginal

« Reply #3 on: 18:36:06, 08/01/08 »
As you said PHEW ha ha,   ;D well that gives me a start, something to get in to anyway. Which ever way i do go will probably be a different way to going back, hence why i wanted about the same mileage as the pennine way because im only planning around 10 days (if i was doig the walk way) so where ever i get to -iv'e got ride back to nottingham, so i think  then it would be easier to just jump on the cycle route back, just a shame to miss the tees and black hill etc, awell i suppose ill just have to come back for that one another time. Anyway thanks for the response REALLY appreciated:
jay O0
P.s if it did come down to it that i end up just doing the cycle route-what would be the best maps to get inc os maps and does any one know what the wild camping situation is and where any good spots are..
many thanks
jay
« Last Edit: 18:51:39, 08/01/08 by jaytheoriginal »

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:57:37, 08/01/08 »
I think you'd have to work out the route first in some detail, with some rough distances , then identify likely camping spots. Its not necessarily an easy thing to do
I had a quick play on Fugawi and I could draw a route from Edale to Airton (where  Fugawi goes on to another disc).  The file is too big to attach and wont shrink without losing definition, though....but its possible to do it.
Look at Landranger Maps 109,110,103,104,98,91,92,86,87,79 and 80.  Borrow them from a big library before investing hard-earned dosh - they're very expensive. This gives you a wide view either side of the PW itself  You can ride on bridleways, white roads, routes (red dots) possibly canal towpaths and there are some useful cycle routes as well (green dots)
As well as wild camping, there's a few bothies - theres a bunch in Kielder forest for instance and one useful one near Hadrians Wall/Pennine Way
Pic of a sneaky wild camp near the M62 attached - I was entertained most of the evening by a kestrel hovering just in front of the tent, and for extra amusement, I counted B&Q delivery vans on the motorway!!

« Last Edit: 22:36:04, 08/01/08 by mike knipe »

jaytheoriginal

« Reply #5 on: 22:30:09, 08/01/08 »
well mike ..
you really know your stuff.. i wish i could give some decent reply to the information that have just given, but the picture that you put on has put the biggest smile on my face :) - its numbed my brain- thats what its all about  ::)- happy days-
thanks again your a star******
jay O0
p.s whats the tent ??  ^-^
« Last Edit: 22:55:26, 08/01/08 by jaytheoriginal »

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 22:54:00, 08/01/08 »
Ah gwan, you'll have a fab trip.   

It'd be much easier if you'd just bloody walk, though....... (only joking)

jaytheoriginal

« Reply #7 on: 22:57:31, 08/01/08 »
 ::) i Know
and thanks again....

kkm

« Reply #8 on: 00:24:42, 09/01/08 »
Ah gwan, you'll have a fab trip.   

It'd be much easier if you'd just bloody walk, though....... (only joking)

he's right you know - just think how bloody arkward its going to be to get your bike over all the styles, not to mention jacobs ladder, pen y ghent and the rocky scrambly bit after middleton.......................! ;D

jaytheoriginal

« Reply #9 on: 11:13:15, 09/01/08 »
 :( Yea i think that im going to have to reside to the fact that im  just going to have to do the cycle route, ( see how far i get) and then come back next year and do the pennine walk (shame) but its a good excuse to come back again :P... does anyone know if theres any spots around for doing wild camping on the cycle route, or any other info about the cycle route, i have been looking but the main site has ceased to be updated, so any one with any info it would be gratfully appreciated.
all the best
j ;)
« Last Edit: 11:21:00, 09/01/08 by jaytheoriginal »

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 07:15:56, 11/01/08 »
Alright, Jay!

I used to do quite a lot of long distance cycling before taking up hiking, and always found wild camping spots easy enough to find.  I've not cycled in the region your attempting, but it's a case of just being aware. Before now, I've even dragged my bike (with two full panniers) through a wood looking for a suitable camp site).

I'm sure other people on here have come across cyclists on walking routes before, and so it is feasible (while a pain) to cycle along walking routes.

Have you done any other long cycling trips of a similar kind? To be fair, when I was doing it, it was all about B roads and back lanes.  I'd pick a destination and then cycle to it.  Let us know how you get on!  O0

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 19:14:14, 13/01/08 »
I am sure we could all help you set up a route, if you wanted.  O0
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy