Author Topic: Where are folks walking this weekend?  (Read 573154 times)

PatrickJ

Re: Where are folks walking this weekend?
« Reply #3135 on: 18:43:44, 31/08/20 »

Great shots of Dartmoor @BuzyG!!  Home for me though I live a long way away these days.

Today I was at the Ashridge Estate walking up to and across Ivinghoe Beacon in the Chilterns.

Brandywell

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3136 on: 18:49:58, 31/08/20 »
Pillar by a roundabout route for my family and I - parked about half way down Wast Water and headed up the beautiful remote valley of Nether Beck to Scoat Tarn, before gaining the ridge between Red Pike and Scoat Fell, then along the ridge up and over Pillar, returning via Black Sail Pass. Visibility was exceptional - could see Blackpool Tower, Clwyd Hills, Snowdonia, Isle of Man, Mull of Galloway, Merrick and surrounding hills, Criffel and on into the hills beyond Moffat. We certainly dodged the ants crawling up and down the Scafell Pike path - we didn't meet a soul until we were nearing Scoat Tarn.

Finished late so we stopped off for fish and chips in Greenodd on our way home. :smiley6600:

Edit - police had been having a field day slapping parking fines on the windscreens of cars badly parked on the Wasdale Head road.
Sounds like you had a great day Richard. :)   The Ennerdale and Wasdale fells were local to me years ago, I could walk to Pillar from home and back, although it was a long day.  PS The chippy at Greenodd used to be the public toilets before our useless council closed them to save money.  The new owners have made a great success of it. O0
Watch where you are putting your feet : AW

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3137 on: 12:02:24, 01/09/20 »
Another walk in the quiet rurality of the Blackdown Hills.  So few people that anyone you do meet invariably stops for a chat.
Glorious views from the hills though this walk, from Churchstanton, was mainly through woods and some lovely wood pasture with majestic oaks, ash and beech trees.

We only saw one car whose driver stopped to ask the way to a cider farm to which we (inadvertently) gave wrong directions.
Tricky Cider is not at Tricky Warren but at Higher Willand Farm which we passed later. I wonder if he's still looking for his pint :-[
« Last Edit: 14:21:22, 01/09/20 by Jac »
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3138 on: 13:53:52, 01/09/20 »
Sounds like you had a great day Richard. :)   The Ennerdale and Wasdale fells were local to me years ago, I could walk to Pillar from home and back, although it was a long day.  PS The chippy at Greenodd used to be the public toilets before our useless council closed them to save money.  The new owners have made a great success of it. O0

It was a great day thanks Brandywell. And the fish and chips were good!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3139 on: 18:35:51, 06/09/20 »
A weekend of walking on the South Downs.  Yesterday I walked from Woodingdean on the outskirts of Brighton to Rottingdean, taking in Bullock Hill, on which there were plenty of sheep but thankfully no bullocks    :)    Today I walked from the outskirts of Seaford to Bishopstone. I did a short stretch of the South Downs Way but for most of the time was on less frequented paths.  Fine weather both days    :)

PatrickJ

« Reply #3140 on: 19:18:31, 06/09/20 »
Back up to the Chilterns for me this morning, this time a circular walk around Pitstone Hill and the windmill.

Next weekend it's the Chilterns 2 Peaks challenge taking in Whiteleaf Cross and Cooombe hill (both of which will be new to me)

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3141 on: 23:18:15, 08/09/20 »
Well the plan was to enjoy my first walk back in the company of our Ramblers group this coming Sunday. :) Then I heard in the news today that groups over 6 are about to be banned again.  :(

Edit: Confirmed today, that this comes in on Monday. So now very much looking forward to Sunday.  :)
« Last Edit: 19:47:09, 09/09/20 by BuzyG »

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3142 on: 19:41:40, 13/09/20 »
Perfect day for our first Moorland group walk since Covid struck.  Really enjoyed catching up on the gossip, as we wondered around the moor to the South of   Price town for some 14 miles.

PatrickJ

« Reply #3143 on: 19:57:27, 13/09/20 »
Man am I exhausted this evening!

Today I participated in the Chiltern's two peak challenge.  A real wake up call to my overall lack of fitness.

My longest, toughest walk since I started 4 - 5 weeks ago - 13miles, 1500 ft of climbing according to Strava. 

Don't think I've moved from the sofa since I got back home

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3144 on: 20:16:55, 13/09/20 »
Up on part of the Tarka Trail today on Exmoor.  I promised Mrs N that there would only be one climb today - I left out that it would be for 3/4s of the walk  :)
We set off in fog but returning along the ridge running from Mole's Chamber towards Five Burrows Hill we could see from Dartmoor right round to Lundy and the North Devon Coast from Appledore to Hartland Point.
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3145 on: 22:31:12, 13/09/20 »
I promised Mrs N that there would only be one climb today - I left out that it would be for 3/4s of the walk  :)

Happily folks never seem to wise up to that one. O0

Psychology is  strange thing. ???

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3146 on: 22:56:26, 13/09/20 »
I walked today from Friston Church over the downs at Crowlink to the Seven Sisters. At Birling Gap I branched off on to a path to the village of East Dean and then walked on the downs to the outskirts of Eastbourne. A walk that exemplified some of the things I love about walking on the South Downs  -  rolling hills, beautiful valleys, dazzling white cliffs, views of the sea. 

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3147 on: 23:08:29, 13/09/20 »

Happily folks never seem to wise up to that one. O0

Psychology is  strange thing. ???
I always say that on average the walk is flat. I have also been heard to say that half of the walk is downhill.  :)

cornwallcoastpathdweller

« Reply #3148 on: 23:36:16, 13/09/20 »
Chipping Campden to Winchcombe on Saturday for me so 17 miles of the Cotswold Way done.  Superb day.

Resting up in a nice 4* hotel just outside Stratford upon Avon for two days with a few mates afterwards now, could get used to this, beats wild camping hands down 😀
one step then another then another then a bench - please?

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3149 on: 07:10:08, 14/09/20 »
Staying in Manchester...going to do a few rail journeys into Lake District today (Monday) and tomorrow.

Yesterday “plan” was just walk one of canals (Ashton) near hotel I’m staying...just a simple out and back, just turning round when I felt like it.

No need to look at map...I thought...even I can’t get lost pacing up and down a canal tow path.

I had reckoned without city centre thoughtfully closing sections of canal...so soon I was on Rochdale canal rather than Ashton...and not quite sure how I had switched canals.

Scenery was just getting a bit interesting when I decided to turn back. Only an easy 5 miles or so in total, but weather made it pleasant

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy