Author Topic: Pennine Way advice sought  (Read 5583 times)

stevep

Pennine Way advice sought
« on: 21:47:12, 12/07/07 »
Hi

I'm currently planning my Pennine Way trip and am wondering about the last stage Byrness to Kirk Yetholm.  I'm doing the Way in stages, a few days at at time and am intending to do the last bit of the way in a three or four day stretch (Steel Rigg to KY).  Hopefully, I should be fairly fresh when I get to Byrness but the time of year (probably mid Sept) and my lack of basic speed mean I don't think I'll be able to do the whole thing in a day - or at least I need a contingency plan.

I probably won't know to much in advance of when I'll be able to leave and I won't be able to rely on getting in at Uswayford Farm so I'm thinking of rough camping.  Are there any places that others could recommend for an overnight stop or should I aim for one of the mountain refuge huts  (e.g. the one near Hen Hole) ?  If I go for a camp could I get by with a bivvy bag and sleeping bag?

Any thoughts gratefully received

Red Deb

Re: Pennine Way advice sought
« Reply #1 on: 23:00:35, 12/07/07 »
Hi  The Cicerone guide book "The Pennine Way" is really good. We have the one on "The Cleveland Way". It gives a day to day step and has accommodation and notes of interest and villages that you pass.

stevep

« Reply #2 on: 13:13:35, 16/07/07 »
Thanks for that Rob, I'll go and have a browse in the bookshop

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:54:55, 19/07/07 »
 There are two huts one at Lamb Hill,around 10 miles from Bryness,and a second one near the Henhole,around 24 miles from Bryness.These are okay if the weather bad but its perhaps better to think of a bivvi in the vicinity of Windy Gyle or Clennell Street.I have put a tent up on top of Windy Gyle and also on a patch of grass at Clennell St.Water can be a bit of a problem but if you look at the map you will see a couple of feeder streams running below Windy Gyle.A biviv sack is okay for one night and you could find shelter amongest the rocks on Windy Gyle's summit.

stevep

« Reply #4 on: 20:30:43, 22/07/07 »
Thanks for the useful advice Tony.  Point noted about the water supply (I'll pack some sterilisations tabs)

titaniumdude

« Reply #5 on: 22:58:31, 23/07/07 »
The Cicerone guide is excellent.  I've been using it as the main source to plan our trip in September.  Another good guide is the two volume set by Tony Hopkins, The Pennine Way North/South.  As far as the last leg is concerned I'm keeping open plans.  We're camping all the way and carrying our gear and although I've managed 28 miles in a day backpacking before I would imagine it to be quite challenging as the last day of 16.  If the weather is dire we will use one of the shelters and if it's not we will deffy be wild camping at Windy Gyle.  Though I do seem to remember there is camping a couple of miles off the path, but can't remember the exact location at present.
I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing

stevep

« Reply #6 on: 23:22:37, 23/07/07 »
Thanks dude, I haven't found the Cicerone guide in the shops yet - looks like I'll be logging onto Amazon soon.  Good luck with your September trip - perhaps the weather will dry out by then. 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy