Author Topic: The Canon, Tryfan  (Read 1594 times)

peter60

The Canon, Tryfan
« on: 12:04:31, 11/10/07 »
I have to admit that the guy on the Canon isn't me! I took one look and thought, naah!  :o It's about 1,000 foot above the A5 in the Ogwen valley. You can see it from the road if you know where to look.

Actually, you can only drop about 12 feet (so I'm told), but it sure looks good posing on there!

darksky

• Veteran Member
Re: The Canon, Tryfan
« Reply #1 on: 19:07:48, 11/10/07 »
 :-\ is this a real person stood on edge as it looks like a statue, anyhow great photo mate,got any more? ive just posted some pix of my walk/climb up Helvellyn, go have a look im quite pleased with em, yeh your coming to this get together are'nt you in Great Langdale, should be fun putting faces to posts and quotes.
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

Deerplay

« Reply #2 on: 22:57:33, 11/10/07 »
I've done a lot of the climbs within my capabilities on Tryfan in the past and I've stood on the cannon. If you're into this sort of thing you could also visit the Cantilever Stone on Glyder Fach - not too far from Tryfan. Other notable places to stand on and have your photo taken are The Chioch and Inn Pin (Skye, see the film Highlander), top of the Bridestone (near Todmorden). There must be loads around the country. Others will be able to suggest more, I'm sure. My favourite personally, is a picture some kind soul sent me of me, my wife and dog, silhouetted against the sunset on Blackstone Edge. The dog was one then, now 17. If I think on in the next few days I'll get my ancient scanner going and post it on this forum.
Will this wind be so mighty as to lay low the mountains of the Earth?

peter60

« Reply #3 on: 07:53:19, 12/10/07 »
:-\ is this a real person stood on edge as it looks like a statue

Yes it is a real person D/S! As the Canon is on the North face of Tryfan it hardly ever gets the sun so the chances are you'll have to use a flash to get a decent photo or live with a silhouette.

I saw your photos of Striding Edge, good effort! I did it last year on a really clear day. What's next? Crib Goch perhaps!

If you're into this sort of thing you could also visit the Cantilever Stone on Glyder Fach - not too far from Tryfan.

I have the famous shot of myself standing on the Cantilever. Some places just lend themselves to posing!

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 12:56:38, 12/10/07 »
I like this picture, Peter, it seems to capture a lot of reasons why we walk/climb - the solitude, the adventure, the mystery.

Thanks for sharing it, bro!

Deerplay - yes, please try and find that picture, would be good to see it!  ;)

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 14:40:53, 12/10/07 »
 O0 Thanks Peter60.., and as far as where to walk/climb next Ive nothing definite as theres so many places i want to go but I'm thinking a winter walk hopfully very snowy..,and so far my only definite plans is this meet and walk that WALKINGGIRL has organised and my 1st parachute jump in December, but i would like to do SCAFELL PIKE i suppose i could do that this winter that'd be nice especially as its the lakes highest...MMMmmm maybe.
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy