Author Topic: Piers Gill question  (Read 2914 times)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Piers Gill question
« on: 09:12:32, 01/03/21 »
Having just booked accommodation in the Lakes for August then obviously I spent yesterday afternoon pouring over maps planning routes. :smitten:

I'm thinking about taking Piers Gill from Sty Head up to Lingmell Col but, having never done it, I wondered if people had any advice and comparisons with other paths I may have walked. Also if I turn right for Lingmell Col, rather than heading all the way up to the top and then on to Scafell Pike, do I miss any fun?
Last time we were on Scafell Pike it was so crowded that I don't feel any compulsion to return. My son, who was 9 I think at the time, complained about 'all the tourists' as obviously living 5 hours drive away we are locals.

Percy

• Veteran Member
Re: Piers Gill question
« Reply #1 on: 09:20:10, 01/03/21 »
I haven’t seen him in here in a while but forum member - Dave - wrote this:

https://www.walkupscafellpike.co.uk/lake-district-walk/scafell-pike-via-piers-gill/

He’s moved to Australia so his UK walking has dried up a bit.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:41:05, 01/03/21 »
The path above Piers Gill is a really good route up, should be quiet, too. There is one short scrambly bit, but this is very easy.

Piers Gill itself is a trap for the unwary in descent.

Edit - and no, you don't miss any of the fun if you branch off for Lingmell rather than plod up the tourist track to Scafell Pike, the place where you would diverge is after the top of Piers Gill.
« Last Edit: 09:44:52, 01/03/21 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:50:03, 01/03/21 »
Thanks both.
Richard, that is as I thought but wanted to check, I remember you saying recently that it was one of your favourites. It is now on the short list.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 10:34:41, 01/03/21 »
Personal opinion is if you're that close to Scafell Pike you might as well top out, however it's a personal thing - if the views aren't there and I don't have the energy in the tank I'd no bother, Corridor Route back to the tarn then save yourself a couple of hours.  That said I'm quite partial to the Scafell Pike - Broad Crag - Great End - Stockley Bridge route back to Seathwaite.   

Lingmell overall is well worth a trip up, has a superb aspect both to the NE and SW, there is one particular spot by a stone cairn you'll recognise when you're up there - but makes for a brilliant early lunch spot with stunning panorama - and better yet you'll often have it to yourself. 

andybr

« Reply #5 on: 10:43:18, 01/03/21 »
Piers Gill is my favourite route up Scafell Pike. As Richard says there is one easy scramble to negotiate but I would add that the path immediately after the scramble is quite exposed on the right and has caused concern to people I have taken that way. Not really dangerous but unsettling for people not used to that type of environment. A plus point is that Peregrines can often be seen on the cliff across the gorge while you are climbing.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 13:41:28, 01/03/21 »
Personal opinion is if you're that close to Scafell Pike you might as well top out, however it's a personal thing - if the views aren't there and I don't have the energy in the tank I'd no bother, Corridor Route back to the tarn then save yourself a couple of hours.

Lingmell overall is well worth a trip up,
Any other hill I would agree with you about going to the top but it was so busy last time we were there it wasn't at all pleasant. Hours saved  on Scafell Pike are just an opportunity to get more walking in somewhere else.
Lingmell is a favourite of ours. I have a great photo of my son by the cairn, I'll see if I can find it.

Piers Gill is my favourite route up Scafell Pike. As Richard says there is one easy scramble to negotiate but I would add that the path immediately after the scramble is quite exposed on the right and has caused concern to people I have taken that way. Not really dangerous but unsettling for people not used to that type of environment.
Thanks Andy. I enjoy a bit of hands-on-rock so long as it is scrambling not climbing. Sharp Edge and Jack's Rake are probably about the limit of my comfortableness. I thought it was worth getting the combined wisdom of the forum for a route I didn't know.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 16:57:07, 01/03/21 »
The scrambling is very easy.

Returning via the Corridor route is a good call, but I would also consider returning via Broad Crag and Great End, avoiding the hordes on top of Scafell Pike if you so desire. A wonderful high level promenade.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 17:16:40, 01/03/21 »
Found the picture of my lad on Lingmell

Returning via the Corridor route is a good call, but I would also consider returning via Broad Crag and Great End, avoiding the hordes on top of Scafell Pike if you so desire. A wonderful high level promenade.
We are staying in Nether Wasdale so we'll be heading that way after descending Lingmell either along the screes or, more likely as I do like tops, via Illgill Head and Whin Rigg.

snaderson

« Reply #9 on: 08:51:27, 02/03/21 »
My top tip would be not to miss the second beck crossing otherwise you might climb 100m up Stand Crag before realising your mistake. As happened to, er, a, er, friend.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 09:00:19, 02/03/21 »
 ;D  Thanks for the heads up, I'll bare it in mind.
Shame your 'friend' didn't have you with them to put them right.

snaderson

« Reply #11 on: 09:39:41, 02/03/21 »
Shame your 'friend' didn't have you with them to put them right.

;D

+1 for Lingmell too. First time I climbed it, a bloke was celebrating his 214th Wainwright. I took a picture of him and his lad on the summit. Most recently at the top an old bloke was telling me he wasn't going to bother with Scafell Pike as it was too busy. I did, it was.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 11:30:43, 02/03/21 »
We are staying in Nether Wasdale so we'll be heading that way after descending Lingmell either along the screes or, more likely as I do like tops, via Illgill Head and Whin Rigg.

Ah, your earlier mention of Sty Head made me assume Borrowdale. But Nether Wasdale is a good place to stay, lots of hills within easy reach, hopefully the pubs will be open!

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 11:57:53, 02/03/21 »
hopefully the pubs will be open!
They better be!  :o
The meat pie at the Strands is the standard against which pies are judged in our family. So far all others have been found wanting.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 18:19:02, 03/03/21 »
Ah, a good steak pie washed down by a pint of Real Ale [/sigh]

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy