Author Topic: Garmin Oregon 700 'Help'  (Read 1178 times)

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
Re: Garmin Oregon 700 'Help'
« Reply #15 on: 20:58:20, 09/02/21 »
I bought the white ones around 10 years ago and they are still going strong but in my Etrex 20 a pair will easily last 3 long days  O0
i had an etrex20 and 20x and as you say battery life for me was generally 2.5 walking days.
It's all uphill from here.

Eyelet

« Reply #16 on: 21:38:04, 09/02/21 »
I bought the white ones around 10 years ago and they are still going strong but in my Etrex 20 a pair will easily last 3 long days  O0
That's an impressive lifespan for a battery and looks to validate their claimed recharge cycles. O0   My black Eneloops give me at least two long days in my GPSMAP 66. I have just replaced mine after about five years as they seemed not to be lasting as long.

colin357

« Reply #17 on: 23:11:25, 09/02/21 »
Some good info. on batteries and charging on Battery university and Candlepower forums. It seems that fast charging is not good even though some of the Panasonic Eneloop chargers are quite fast. One expert reckoned a charging rate of about 0.2C (0.2 X capacity) was about ideal which would equate to a 500mAh charge for about 6 hrs . 30 minute rapid charging is certainly not recommended.I try to keep my cells in pairs and try to avoid mixing them up.I put several through a break in cycle on a Maha Powerex charger analyser a couple of weeks back and there was some variation in capacity but the worst ones were still only about 200 mAh down on the best and some had seen a lot of use.It is the white Eneloops which seem to be the stuff of legend and I tend to use them in all my remote controls, clocks etc.

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 23:25:50, 09/02/21 »
It is the white Eneloops which seem to be the stuff of legend and I tend to use them in all my remote controls, clocks etc.

On recommendation from guy in Maplins, started to use white Eneloops in camera, have given very impressive performance over other rechargable batteries used. Henhouse door opening device also fitted with them, outside in all weathers, again giving impressive results.

Eyelet

« Reply #19 on: 23:33:34, 09/02/21 »

You are right about here being quite a lot of information on charging out there, some of it is contradictory - there's a surprise ;D https://eneloop101.com/charge/ is another good source.

One of the issues with fast charging is that if the charger is not temperature controlled, the cells overheat which shortens their life.

I now have a Panasonic BQ-CC65 charger https://lygte-info.dk/review/Review%20Charger%20Panasonic%20BQ-CC65%20UK.html after my Technoline BL700 charger (which was fine) failed after some 6-7 years frequent use. I have now put my faith in Panasonic to design a decent charger with an appropriate cycle for their own NiMH batteries. This model charges empty black Eneloop Pros in a couple of hours or so and they get warm but not hot, and so far I'm very happy with it.

I agree it is best to pair batteries with the same tested capacity since I believe it is the lower capacity battery which dictates the overall performance of the pair in the device.

Tam911

« Reply #20 on: 18:27:46, 10/02/21 »
 :-\ :-\  Crikey its bad enough trying to learn the Garmin, now I've got to learn about batteries  ;D .  I think i might be getting too old for this! ;D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy