Author Topic: Howgill fells - 3 day route  (Read 5213 times)

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
Howgill fells - 3 day route
« on: 14:11:30, 15/01/08 »
I did this walk in September last year. It took me 3 days, so its quite good for a long weekend, but you could do it quicker, or even a bit slower. The distances I covered were: Sedbergh - Newbiggin 14 miles , Newbiggin - Tebay 13 miles, Tebay - Sedbergh 12 miles..
I think this would be quite a good introduction to multi-day walking for anybody considering doing an LDP but doesnt have much experience of doing such things.
Basically, the route starts at Sedbergh, takes the bridleway above the River Rawthey to Cautley - visits the magic pool (!) - then over more bridleways and  abit of moorland to Ravenstonedale (possible overnight) - then field paths to Newbiggin on Lune.
THe second day  I walked the limestone scarp between Newbiggin and Orton, mostly shadowing and sometimes following the CtoC route, but visiting Nettle Hill on the way (very fine set of nettles there by the way) - then more field paths and lanes to Tebay.
The third day was basically down the Lune Gorge to Crook o'Lune then  the Dalesway for a bit, then a path along the intakes back to Sedbergh.
I used B&Bs at Newbiggin and Tebay, there's also hotels/pubs at Sedbergh, Ravenstonedale, Orton, and Tebay, plus a transport cafe at Tebay and you could wild camp at various points.
If anybody wants a proper write-up with pics and maps (free by the way) - just send me a pm.
A couple of pics below.....

By the way, the walk doesnt have a name - any ideas - or is it best without one?...
« Last Edit: 15:56:31, 15/01/08 by mike knipe »
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

ukmase

• Veteran Member
Re: Howgill fells - 3 day route
« Reply #1 on: 14:53:48, 15/01/08 »
How about Mike's magical mystery tour

;D :D ;D

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:08:00, 15/01/08 »
More like Mike's manic meanderings!!

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:06:55, 15/01/08 »
So did you devise this route on your own?  As you say, it seems like a great introduction to LDPs.  I thought at first that you had followed a set route, but that it doesn't have a name leads me to think otherwise.  (Here in East Yorks, any walk of 3 miles or more has a name slapped on it, and a badge offered at the end for those having completed it.

Hey, maybe, you could set that up .. devise a badge, charge a quid a go - you'd be broke in no time!  O0

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:05:02, 15/01/08 »
I just made it up....but if you look at a map of the Howgills, it sort of jumps out at you. Its a circumnavigation - the main problem was filling the gap between Ravenstonedale and Tebay  because the "grain" of the Howgills in the North is North-South, so walking through the intakes would be desperately rough and with a lot of up and down, and footpaths along the Lune are disconnected with too much road walking- then I noticed the limestone ridge to the North.

The North-South grain of the hills would be quite good for a challenge walk, though - eg Cross Keys at Cautley to the Station Hotel (aka Barnaby Rudge(!!)) at Tebay in as straight a line as possible.....

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 15:23:52, 08/03/08 »
As its a wet Saturday, Ive been playing with my mapping software and Ive managed to produce maps that will actually fit on the forum - so here are maps of the-around-the-Howgills-an-not-through-the-middle walk.
« Last Edit: 15:27:10, 08/03/08 by mike knipe »

Mairi

« Reply #6 on: 05:14:10, 11/03/08 »
That karst + juniper pic is a classic. Mind if I use it as wallpaper for my lil ol' Mac? :crazy2:

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 09:34:57, 11/03/08 »
That karst + juniper pic is a classic. Mind if I use it as wallpaper for my lil ol' Mac? :crazy2:

No problem, 'course you can use the picture - in fact I'm a bit flatterred, really! O0

The only thing is - I don't think the tree is actually a juniper! :-[

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy