Author Topic: TR squelching in Chee dale  (Read 3957 times)

treehugger

• Account Closed
TR squelching in Chee dale
« on: 20:38:23, 03/11/13 »
So today after much dithering, and failing to rouse anyone else I went ahead with chee dale, after umpteen viewings of weather forecasts I set off later than intended and rode via Holmfirth n Holme moss, in some lousy driving conditions, through Glossop to Buxton, at which point fuel warning light glowing on dashboard. So finally pulled in to a petrol station in the rain in Buxton..............all pumps with yellow warnings on em. So i goes in and asks the girl......no petrol for some reason!!!  In some fear i ask if theres another in buxton, and bless her she draws me a map to get to Tescos station. So i gets there, fuel getting less n less, n puts £10 worth in tank for now, pays, drives off.................petrol light still on, gauge still low, digital estimate down to 30 miles remaining.....i pull up and stop/start car a few times, still no change, so in disbelief/fear/anger i turn round n head back, ready for an argument about a non-working pump at the tesco place............just before i get there the light/gauge/readout magically change to what they ought to be! :o    Calming myself with 2 dozen valium i drve to chee dale n park on a layby marked on my map, off the A6 road.  Took me 5 mins to lace up me brand new boots in car as the promised showers outside had helpfully merged into steady rain. I had waxed them night before, not thought to lace em up again. After scoffing sarnies it was turned 12.30 when i FINALLY set off into the unknown. Descended nto the famous chee dale n went for the riverside path....oops!  can you spot the problem? this tested me (cheapo) new boots! Previous pic: if you zoom you might see the guy on a rambling group wading on the stepping stone "path" up to his ankles in water, wearing a cream jacket in the background. They decided to turn back a ways to go up to monsal trail proper, cos they had some women (helpless creatures!) in there group, but said i should do it like the old days n take me boots n sox off n go on stones barefoot! And put them on again far side!...............................instead some of the blokes scrambled the quick way up to the proper trail................. so i followed them! up yonder. They were waiting for the women (!) who had gone on a big detour, so i said goodbye to my new pals-from stoke apparantly-n went along trail before soon scrambling down again to rejoin riverside path............oops again! same problem, so back up to monsal trail, down, up, down, twas like a nuns whatsits............... somebody tell me what the metal thing is????????????  I finally got to the A6 n walked along a short way to the church at millers/monks dale, not clear which, going under the impressive bridge I had a quick look at the start of monks dale, looks interesting. Then went back along monsal trail the easy way, was concerned about too much night driving. Some impressive crags by the trail.......................  and what a surprise, when nearly back at car it suddenly fined up....glorius sunshine :(   here endeth my adventures and moaning!  Thankfully i didn't go wrong heading back, this time through chesterfield to m1 north, best option in twilight i thought. Phew! :D

Andy Broadley

• Veteran Member
Re: TR squelching in Chee dale
« Reply #1 on: 20:50:43, 03/11/13 »
Good squelch report there Ed. Good man for braving the conditions.

The answer to your question is.........it's a metal thing ;)
The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step

Country Walking 1000 Mile Challenge 2017  623.5  miles :)

yeti

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:29:49, 03/11/13 »
Nice photos TH O0
R.I.P. Dave.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:22:57, 03/11/13 »
Good TR there TH.  Did you new boots stand up to the challenge then?

And the metal thing?  Can't believe you don't know what it is  :D ::)

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 23:55:02, 03/11/13 »
Good squelch report there Ed. Good man for braving the conditions.

The answer to your question is.........it's a metal thing ;)
Its very clearly a towball off a Citroen.  :o
Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

Andy Broadley

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 08:04:05, 04/11/13 »

Yea, some people...sheesh! ::)

treehugger

• Account Closed
« Reply #6 on: 10:11:24, 04/11/13 »

Yep amazingly kept dry feet! Practically paddling at times, glad i waxed em night before!

treehugger

• Account Closed
« Reply #7 on: 10:11:57, 04/11/13 »
Its very clearly a towball off a Citroen.  :o
Ruddy big Citroen! :o :o

Andy Broadley

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 11:23:14, 04/11/13 »
Ruddy big Citroen! :o :o

Specially made for Webbo :)

Lee in Doncaster

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 17:42:28, 04/11/13 »
Well I've ended up in a few rivers and never taken off my boots. Chee Dale is a challenging walk at any time, but the stepping stones being underwater doesn't help.
Walking every week in the Peak District...or somewhere else   http://peakwalking.blogspot.com

kevilsonlad

« Reply #10 on: 22:17:30, 04/11/13 »
like the pics mate . never bin down there after heavy rain , and I don't think I will neither  ;) ;D

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 05:15:32, 05/11/13 »
Oh dearie me Ed....I did warn you about conditions down there after heavy rain! :D
I'm rather pleased I couldn't make it now! lol

Mebbe try it again in the Spring (I'll join you) and marvel at all the lovely Spring wild flowers and the gently flowing water, with sunshine and blue skies all the way. O0   It's another world entirely! 8)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Andy Broadley

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 10:25:28, 05/11/13 »
Oh dearie me Ed....I did warn you about conditions down there after heavy rain! :D
I'm rather pleased I couldn't make it now! lol

Mebbe try it again in the Spring (I'll join you) and marvel at all the lovely Spring wild flowers and the gently flowing water, with sunshine and blue skies all the way. O0   It's another world entirely! 8)

There's a meet in the making :) I'd be up for that  O0

treehugger

• Account Closed
« Reply #13 on: 11:13:57, 05/11/13 »

There's a meet in the making :) I'd be up for that  O0
The further ahead you make plans, the less likely they are to work out! I would av thought at your advanced age you would realise that....................... ;D ;D ;D

treehugger

• Account Closed
« Reply #14 on: 11:14:36, 05/11/13 »
like the pics mate . never bin down there after heavy rain , and I don't think I will neither  ;) ;D
well it was proper interesting ;D ;D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy