Author Topic: Would you or not...  (Read 1655 times)

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Re: Would you or not...
« Reply #15 on: 20:06:36, 13/01/21 »
Riding Mill??????

Too little, too late, too bad......

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 20:55:56, 13/01/21 »
I'd rather not have to :-\
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

cornwallcoastpathdweller

« Reply #17 on: 11:04:46, 14/01/21 »
Would be a no for me im afraid, i just know id end up falling in and im cold water adverse.
one step then another then another then a bench - please?

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 13:11:52, 14/01/21 »
http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=25431.0
There were some stepping stones several pics along on here.... Submarine, you can't see them.  
Some bods were doing it, without boots.  
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 14:02:13, 14/01/21 »
That`s a good question . :coolsmiley:
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 15:33:02, 14/01/21 »
Not sure what occurred to my follow up post it lost most of it when clicked 'Post', so attempted again.

Hope it is sensible!

I've discovered something rather odd has happened to that post!
Sorry, not going to attempt to change any more.

« Last Edit: 19:45:25, 14/01/21 by Dodgylegs »

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 12:04:08, 15/01/21 »
I definitely would if the river level was lower as I suspect many others here would. I have long thought that the use of stepping stones is a 'lost art' in the development and design of our Access Network. Probably a victim of the too safe interpretation of safety ideals, so that little scope is allowed for the user to exercise personal responsibility.

There some huge stepping stones that cross the River Vyrnwy at Dolanog, which walkers of the Glyndwr's Way may have spotted, though rather hidden and a rather long jump apart. Probably extremely ancient as they are so smooth (water-worn) that even dry they are risky. But the nearby old and near bridge have rendered them obsolete many years ago. It was these that first started me thinking how stepping stones could transform summer walking, making many fords that have lost their right of way status into valuable strategic crossings.

It would be possible to design a hand rope with a collapsible post, using a shear bolt at mean water level, with manufactured stones such as these. Clearly, the coarse aggregate near the surface has been quite skilfully tamped in at the finish so the stepping surface has grip. The other advantage would be that they could all be cast on-site from a well-designed mould.

There would be a wonderful opportunity to avoid a nasty road crossing of the A458 near Llanfair Caereinionion and bring the beautiful Maesmawr Estate into the cross Britain walks, but the potential of this route is too hidden by lostways and other lost opportunities through the lack of creative thinking.

I thank the OP for a picture of an excellent example of a valuable walking asset. Were more of these assets bought to the attention of those who administer our access network and their value studied and evaluated, then some progress might be possible in understanding how access can benefit both user and occupier.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 12:22:50, 15/01/21 »
Barewirewalker An Ultrarunner pointed me in the right direction to find these stepping stones as they had just run across them... not slippy, just get feet wet!
Spoke to a guy who lives nearby who uses them on his way to shops. Tales were told when the water level was about a metre over the top, washed a few of the blocks away! Once access was found, Council came along and replaced them.

NT owned Fountains Abbey & Studley Royal Water Park in N. Yorkshire, took out some of the steps from their stepping stones to stop people using... H & S reasons! Water is usually only a few inches deep.
Don't know if you've ever been there... the river Skell, that flows through, goes down a lovely valley towards Ripon, named Seven Bridges Valley after the old stone arched bridges. This is a very tranquil place, unfortunately it is rather spoilt as the river has found it's way underground near the 2nd bridge!
« Last Edit: 12:39:59, 15/01/21 by Dodgylegs »

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 19:14:51, 15/01/21 »
Not sure you're correct in that matter BWW.
 The council has just put some across the River Aln, before lockdown, as well as the Coquet and the Wabsbeck.

I could imagine that if there are accidents then they may have to rethink matters just as they do with speed limits in accident blackspots.

I think when you see how many people have been fined in the last six months alone for being caught going over 150 mph alone then leaving some things to common sense is pointless.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy