Author Topic: Are you making your own face masks or anything else?  (Read 4232 times)

strawy

Re: Are you making your own face masks or anything else?
« Reply #15 on: 17:57:19, 30/03/20 »
A few years ago,i worked in a car paint shop,we had standard throw-away masks available,no good at all,depending on the colour/type of paint we sprayed,we still got coloured lips/teeth/hairy nostrils,i always felt like i was suffocating when wearing them,they have probably improved but i cant imagine one of them keeping a virus out..

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 18:01:29, 30/03/20 »
I was glad to be rid of it at the time. but I miss my S10 respirator now
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S10_NBC_Respirator

The current batch are even better - two canisters now so you don't have to hold your breath any more.
Solvitur Ambulando

mountaingal

« Reply #17 on: 18:15:24, 02/04/20 »
At last, they started talking about face masks on TV and radio ;)  Is it a sign that some might become available to general public ::) ? However, silly people are thinking face mask could replace some measures we have been taking. Definitely NOT! Face mask should be worn As Well As doing all other things,,,washing hands, keeping distance from people around etc etc... I am importing a template and the material from abroad ( my sister offered to send one) ;)  Meanwhile, I can wear one of 3 precious disposable ones I have at the moment.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 18:22:53, 02/04/20 »
Not needed yet.  Guidance from WHO remains the same at present.  Best advice remains distancing and washing your hands,  It will make you feel better but benefit to you is marginal at best.
Solvitur Ambulando

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 18:48:31, 02/04/20 »
Agreed, advice at the moment is that it won't help unless you're a health professional used to wearing them and adopting the necessary precautions, social distance and wash hands for the rest of us.
Where there's a will ...

stally

« Reply #20 on: 19:17:15, 02/04/20 »
While walking our JR dog,  strangers  always  ask her where she gets her face masks, she tells them she doesn't wear one.  :-[

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 08:39:06, 03/04/20 »
Could one - or two - be made out of a bra?
Lightweightmike seems to use girls tight to make all sorts of things, including supper.
Better stop now.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 12:50:46, 03/04/20 »
I was glad to be rid of it at the time. but I miss my S10 respirator now
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S10_NBC_Respirator

The current batch are even better - two canisters now so you don't have to hold your breath any more.

I still have my S10 in the garage. 

The care home where MrsG works are now issuing full Hazmat suits in preparation for the worst.  I just hope they never need to use them them. 

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 12:58:35, 03/04/20 »
Was issued with a mask by GP receptionist before appointment, immediately glasses steamed up....

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 13:19:37, 03/04/20 »
I still have my S10 in the garage. 

The care home where MrsG works are now issuing full Hazmat suits in preparation for the worst.  I just hope they never need to use them them.
One morning I turned up for work at a suddenly eerily quiet Kuwaiti Army base to be issued with an S10 (with no red stripe on the filter) with a suit to match to be told to have it with me at all times.  Apparently, we had mobilised overnight as we were expecting a return visit from Saddam at any time and all the people we were working with had gone to man the barricades.  Since we travelled in plain clothes off-base, it made for an odd rucksack load but it was a comforting weight.  God knows what would have happened if I had got it out and put it on the middle of the souk.
Could do with it now though.
Solvitur Ambulando

Toxicbunny

« Reply #25 on: 13:00:40, 30/04/20 »
I have not made any masks as you can buy them. I bought a huge pack of disposable masks and disposable gloves weeks ago. I wear them if I have to go to shops and bin them outside. I have no intention of waiting for the government to tell me to wear them. Judging by the amount of soap and cleaning products sold I can only deduce that some have just discovered what it's for  ^-^ . There are plenty of sewing patterns on the net. But I prefer disposable. The prices have shot up now especially since Scotland have made mask wearing compulsory. 
I suppose mask wearing is a choice and it's down to your circumstances and health.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 13:12:02, 30/04/20 »
There was an interview on BBC telly yesterday saying that "a mask" per se, wasn't necessary and that anything could be used as a face covering ( * buff, handkerchief, etc. ).  She also said that the idea of a mask/face covering was to stop you (the wearer) spreading your potentially contaminated breath particles (coughing, sneezing or just breathing/talking) to the air rather than preventing anyone else's from getting into your lungs.

* So.... gimp mask, anyone?

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 13:13:09, 30/04/20 »
I made mine but have some disposables as well. I use them when entering shops or when I have to make contact with a client. I am still convinced that the reason why our Government is not advising us to wear them is that they 'forgot' to put an order in and are desperate not to be found out! I worked for the NHS for years and was always given face when we had 'bugs and virus' flying around. I never once to my knowledge caught anything so I was either just lucky or they did work? For me, the issue today is not whether they are medically useful or not, they help psychologically, and they are worn extensively in those countries that are enjoying the best success rates as well.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 13:32:44, 30/04/20 »
There was an interview on BBC telly yesterday saying that "a mask" per se, wasn't necessary and that anything could be used as a face covering ( * buff, handkerchief, etc. ).  She also said that the idea of a mask/face covering was to stop you (the wearer) spreading your potentially contaminated breath particles (coughing, sneezing or just breathing/talking) to the air rather than preventing anyone else's from getting into your lungs.

A lot of the masks I have seen people wearing in shops are dust masks rather than medical grade masks.Surely the virus particles would pass through this type of mask and give you a false sense of security? I did notice that some people wearing masks were not alert to what was going on around them,hence the false sense of security.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 13:37:28, 30/04/20 »
There is a good programme about mask wearing here, types, pros cons, how to wear etc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v93rcPkFkZc
Well worth a watch.

In summary, mask wearing affords some protection but only if worn correctly and in conjunction with existing social distancing measures. Single use manufactured masks are best if used properly.  Improvised masks are seen as better than nothing but must be washed at 60C after every use.  Wash hands before fitting mask and after removing mask.  Do not touch mask once it is fitted, if you do so inadvertently, clean hands immediately.  Finally, do not go out any more often than you used to. just because you have a mask.
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy