Author Topic: Tehidy Woods-Portreath-Return  (Read 3479 times)

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
Tehidy Woods-Portreath-Return
« on: 14:17:37, 20/07/20 »

Tehidy Woods-Portreath-Return

A stroll through the woods, SWCP, a smelly beach and more woods
Distance: 10.6 km [6.6 miles]
Duration walking: 2 hour
Total Time: 3 Hour
Difficulty: Easy, only one climb
Date: July 18th 2020
Start Temperature: 14°C End Temperature 15°C
This circular walk started at the South entrance to Tehidy Woods where there is a decent sized free car park (take not NT, this is the second most popular destination in Cornwall), and a cafe (open) and toilets (closed ATM).
 The ‘turn’ was at Portreath, which a small town on the North Coast of Cornwall.  It is a strange place these days, but in the past it was a proper working port, shipping out tin and copper ore to South Wales for processing, while shipping in coal for the mines water pumps.  There was a railway line that went directly to the port from Pool where there were a number of mines, including the last working mine in Cornwall.
There are a number of cafes and pubs close to the shore, The Atlantic cafe and bar having a great view of the car park.  But there is another actually under the car park that gets a good battering during a storm.
One thing to always bear in mind is that Portreath stinks so bad there are hardly any seagulls.

The Route

Instead of heading straight into the woods, this time I took the short road up towards the posh houses.  They don’t mind people walking up it.

As usual, the woods are well signposted, I took the red route towards the North Coast.

Once into the woods there is a small garden that is usually well kept, but because of recent events has been rather neglected, but does have these wood carvings in it.

It does not really matter much how one gets to the North Coast from the woods, but I decided to take in this tree.

Just keep heading North West and uphill and you will find a track that lead out into daylight, or drizzle.  I chose the drizzle for most of the walk.

While the track was not that interesting, I did spot this towards the end.

After crossing the B3301 and following a gravel path past a field, there is a small car park right on the edge of the SWCP.

There is a sign about not camping, but this is Cornwall.

Turning right onto the SWCP proper, this little fellow started showing me the way.

I mentioned in the introduction that there was one climb on this easy walk, well this is it, really not a hard one.

Do everyone a favour and follow the signs.

Here is Basset’s Cove.  Sometimes there is a large bull seal hunting here.

There really are parts where the SWCP has vanished.

And here it is.  Must have made a lot of noise when it went.

The coast path section is less than 2 miles and leads to this small path that descends into Portreath.  You can see right into a bedroom of the house.  A very bright architect must have designed it.

But then, a little bit of Cheshire.  Sea View I understand, Royal Love, I am not so sure, has Charlie’s brother been hiding out here.

4 kW of shaded SW facing PV.  A salesman’s dream.

Really.  I told you Portreath was odd.

Derelict beach chalets, they have been like this for 20 years or so.  They were liveable just a few years back, but they have outlasted the property development company.  Such a shame.

Walking shoes and seaweed are not a good mix.

If you fancy a dip, there is this natural swimming pool by the pier.

A £1.20 cuppa at the turn.  This is from the little takeaway with a proper sea view.

There is a cafe without a sea view, and oddly enough, there is one on the other side of the road that is the same.  I would put the cafe above the flat, not below it.

The car park is not free anymore.  When the council put up the barriers and started charging, a local business person unbolted them and hid them away.  They need to do that more often, but even on this quiet Saturday, I saw a bearded traffic warden.  What makes a person want to do that for a job?

I warned you that the town smells even though they have posh new toilets.  I suspect they still discharge to the river right behind them, which then flows another 50 metres to the beach, always fun seeing the collection of cotton buds and famine products, along with small children with buckets and spades.

There is this nice Remembrance Garden on a corner up the road, sadly the wind was blowing inland so it smelt even worse than the beach.  But it does take one’s mind off the traffic noise.

I think this nice old place is going to be pulled down as they have built a new place behind it.  Shame as I like these old places.

Right, enough of slagging off Portreath, back to the walking.

Take the road to Porthtowan/Redruth for about a kilometre and you will find this.  I cannot guarantee that the poppies will always be there.

Then find the side road that leads to Illogan Woods.

You will find this entrance with a bridge over the River (no smell, so no blaming Redruth).

Then just follow the main path.

This is about a mile and a half walk though this shaded woods which leads up to the Mining Trails.

This goes along a road to the farm (best not to bring a dog) that has some lovely, flowering verges.

At the end, turn right to Mary’s Well.  I assume the water is safe to drink.

The road, which is wooded, leads to this entrance to Tehidy Woods.  With this nice thatched cottage.  Not many of these down here.

The path leads alongside the golf course.  This was really busy, and noisy every time they clubbed a ball.  Why ruin a good walk.  And dress up funny.

This is nearing the end, so means that prizes are now left around for people to pick up.

I found this one for third place.

And this one for second place.

Never did find the first place prize, but there will be several new ones by now.
But I did find this, and saw a red eared terrapin in it once, and two teenage girl pole dancing, they even brought a pole along.  Never had the nerve to photograph them, though suspect they would have preferred being videoed.

And that is the end of the walk, now just time for a coffee, with the ducks.  I want china mugs back, I hate these cardboard ones.

When I lived in Hertfordshire, I often went ‘down the canal’ and made friends with a Heron called Hero.  Seem he followed me down, eventually.

All in all, this is a good walk, it can easily be made shorter, or longer by just taking different routes though Tehidy Woods to get to the SWCP.

Then there are different routes to get out of Portreath, and again once exiting Illogan woods.  And the best bit is that you do not need to carry anything to drink as there are loads of cafes on the way.  There is even a cafe/farm shop/ice cream place at the top of Portreath heading towards Hayle, where it does not smell.

« Last Edit: 14:31:11, 20/07/20 by SteamyTea »
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
Re: Tehidy Woods-Portreath-Return
« Reply #1 on: 18:12:12, 20/07/20 »
Lovely pics, like the woodcarving and tree. We once cycled to Portreath and back from Devoran where we were staying. The cycle trail was quite interesting but I wasn’t much taken with Portreath!

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:05:42, 20/07/20 »
Lovely pics, like the woodcarving and tree. We once cycled to Portreath and back from Devoran where we were staying. The cycle trail was quite interesting but I wasn’t much taken with Portreath!
You could have gone to Porthtowan, if nothing else, the sunsets are great.

cornwallcoastpathdweller

« Reply #3 on: 08:07:58, 21/07/20 »
happy to comfirm the beach hut toilets discharge to the local sewer in the street not the little stream, had to inspect them when they constructed the loos a few years ago.

Nice to see some pictures of a few of the sights of the area, have walked past that curly tree, never seen anything like it anywhere else its very strange, and definately right about Portreath it is a very strange place.

one step then another then another then a bench - please?

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 08:17:30, 21/07/20 »
happy to comfirm the beach hut toilets discharge to the local sewer in the street not the little stream, had to inspect them when they constructed the loos a few years ago.

Nice to see some pictures of a few of the sights of the area, have walked past that curly tree, never seen anything like it anywhere else its very strange, and definately right about Portreath it is a very strange place.
Did you put the cover back on too loose.
We should have a challenge to find the strangest town/village down here.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 07:01:40, 27/07/20 »
An enjoyable TR; thanks for posting. O0

I take it that you are not so keen on Portreath?  ;)
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 08:14:13, 27/07/20 »
I take it that you are not so keen on Portreath?  ;)
Portreath, even if you can ignore the smell, is just dull.  I think it is because it does not have any shops, just a few cafes, 3 pubs, bike hire place and a surf shop.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 20:05:15, 03/08/20 »
The twizzle tree is ace  :D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy