Author Topic: When Will Non-Local Walks Be Allowed Again?  (Read 6476 times)

Jac

• Veteran Member
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Skip

• Veteran Member
Re: When Will Non-Local Walks Be Allowed Again?
« Reply #46 on: 09:39:32, 19/02/21 »

Bored

Me too. But I take heart from my conviction that things will get better, the lockdown will lift, and the hills, coast, and countryside will be there waiting for us. 
Skip

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: 10:21:11, 19/02/21 »

Yep - very bored - the local pavements are getting very very repetitive.

MkPotato

• Veteran Member
« Reply #48 on: 07:51:35, 22/02/21 »
Looks like we’ll be learning tonight wrt relaxation of the rules. The question is whether it’s going to be early or late March.

I’m looking forward to getting back into the Lakes and Peak District. I’m expecting North Wales to be off the menu for longer though.

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #49 on: 12:38:58, 22/02/21 »

From today's Guardian website:
"As part of the first phase, rules will relax from 29 March, when schools break up for the Easter holidays. Guidance telling people to 'stay at home' in their local area will be lifted . . ."

It goes on:
". . .  outdoor gatherings of either six people or two households will be able to take place, and outdoor sports facilities such as tennis or basketball courts will reopen on that date."
Skip

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #50 on: 12:55:12, 22/02/21 »
And from the BBC News website: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56148160

“And from 29 March it is also understood that people will once again be able to travel out of their areas - although guidance will likely still recommend staying local, and overnight stays will not be permitted.”

Hopefully by 29th March The Powers That Be will clarify how we will be able travel out of our areas whilst remaining local…

MkPotato

• Veteran Member
« Reply #51 on: 13:02:19, 22/02/21 »
Yes, looks like end of March for getting out into the hills. Shame it’s not earlier as March can be a great month for walking, but as has been discussed, you can’t assume good behaviour, so it’s probably for the best.

We just have to hope that people are sensible over Easter, as we really don’t want another lockdown in May!

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #52 on: 15:00:14, 22/02/21 »
Soon, very soon, please! At least 7 times today a computer-generated voice keeps telling me I'm going to be prosecuted for a 'criminal offence.' I just press off and they still come back.

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #53 on: 18:31:30, 22/02/21 »
I went for a good long out the door walk yesterday. At Heath common, well known local place, the car park was overflowing, folk walking kids and dogs everywhere. No sign of pc plod bothering anybody.
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

ayjay

« Reply #54 on: 20:40:27, 22/02/21 »
The closest part of the New Forest to me has been heaving all through both lockdowns, it busier than an August Bank Holiday on most days that I'm there now. Car parks are mostly rammed full, when they closed many of them during the first lockdown people just parked in the road outside the car park instead.
I have a few "Bank Holiday" routes  that take me off the main paths, and usually off-path altogether and I'm using those routes nearly every day.

There is a road that runs through the centre of the Inclosure where I often go, there is capacity for about 15 cars to park in the various gateways (without blocking them). At this time of year,normally,  it would be unusual to see more than three or four cars parked in the afternoon (and I'd recognise most of them) but now it's just full up almost every day with strangers.

MkPotato

• Veteran Member
« Reply #55 on: 07:01:59, 23/02/21 »
I suppose, to a greater extent, they’re relying on voluntary compliance and good sense, as enforcement is next-to-impossible. They’ll make an example of the odd idiot who really takes the mick, but on the whole that’s all they can do.

The research seems to point to the chances of transmission outside being low, so I still think walkers aren’t the bad guys here.  

I suspect there will be a lot of full car-parks in the coming weeks, regardless of the strict interpretation of the rules (cough..Barnard Castle..cough), but the recent mountain rescue tragedy shows that you need to be aware of the possible repercussions.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #56 on: 14:45:41, 23/02/21 »
I suspect that now a 'roadmap' has been offered the danger is that people generally will just work out their own irrespective of the Government's suggestions? An easy way I fear for the authorities to lose control of the public. The seafront where I live was heaving with people over the weekend, I don't go there at all anymore, potentially dangerous!

For us no matter what the Government suggests we plan to stay with our present simple routine (wash hands, wear a mask and keep our distance) to when the clocks change, and then we'll review our situation.

I'm ok because I run off-road every day and it gives me a purpose. I'm now on my third stint of running 100 runs in 100 days. I ran my forty-second run today, not missed one day this year which I'm pleased about. I hope I can complete my 100 runs and not be distracted by the desire to hike?

MkPotato

• Veteran Member
« Reply #57 on: 07:37:23, 25/02/21 »
I suspect that now a 'roadmap' has been offered the danger is that people generally will just work out their own irrespective of the Government's suggestions? An easy way I fear for the authorities to lose control of the public. The seafront where I live was heaving with people over the weekend, I don't go there at all anymore, potentially dangerous!

For us no matter what the Government suggests we plan to stay with our present simple routine (wash hands, wear a mask and keep our distance) to when the clocks change, and then we'll review our situation.

I'm ok because I run off-road every day and it gives me a purpose. I'm now on my third stint of running 100 runs in 100 days. I ran my forty-second run today, not missed one day this year which I'm pleased about. I hope I can complete my 100 runs and not be distracted by the desire to hike?
You’re right. These kind of policies only work with the cooperation of the public (as thankfully we’re not in a totalitarian state). I guess the problem is that everyone thinks that their common-sense interpretation is correct. To be fair, a good proportion of us are, but many are not.

I’m still of the opinion that walking in the hills is very low risk to myself and others (with the usual caveats about avoiding crowds in car-parks and facilities, and not putting myself in risk of needing MR).

This site implies that from 8th March it’s fine to go for a picnic. I’m sure there is an implied recommendation that it’s not too far away, but I don’t think it’s explicit (and therefore the law). Maybe I’m misreading it, but I think a drive to the Peak District from Manchester isn’t pushing things too far.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/national-lockdown-stay-at-home

snaderson

« Reply #58 on: 07:49:26, 25/02/21 »

This site implies that from 8th March it’s fine to go for a picnic. I’m sure there is an implied recommendation that it’s not too far away, but I don’t think it’s explicit (and therefore the law). Maybe I’m misreading it, but I think a drive to the Peak District from Manchester isn’t pushing things too far.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/national-lockdown-stay-at-home

It still says "No further significant changes will be made on 8 March and restrictions requiring you to stay at home will remain in place.", so I was reluctantly leaving the Peak District (I'm in Stockport) until 29th March (Easter weekend is going to be...interesting).

ayjay

« Reply #59 on: 10:30:47, 25/02/21 »

I’m still of the opinion that walking in the hills is very low risk to myself and others (with the usual caveats about avoiding crowds in car-parks and facilities, and not putting myself in risk of needing MR).

I agree with you 100%, but the Government's take on this is that more road traffic = more road traffic accidents  =  more pressure on the emergency services, especially on the Ambulance Service and Hospitals.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy