Author Topic: Y-Hub tents : MSR Hubba / Terra Nova Southern Cross  (Read 995 times)

weston.front

Hi - 

Does anyone have any experience of any of the MSR Y-Hub tents or either of the TN Southern Cross models to share?
Following the road less travelled : westonfront.wordpress.com

Birdman

• Veteran Member
Re: Y-Hub tents : MSR Hubba / Terra Nova Southern Cross
« Reply #1 on: 13:39:37, 14/01/21 »
I have no personal experience with MSR Hubba, but I have met several hikers that have one and they were all very happy with it. It is one that I would consider myself if I need a new dual skin tent, though I would always go for the 2-person version (Hubba Hubba).

I have no experience with the Terra Nova Southern Cross, but I have a Terra Nova Superlight Voyager. I like that tent for many reasons, but I find that Terra Nova has made some strange trade-offs to get the headline weight down. So that is something that I would check with any TN lightweight tent.
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

herbert tickle

« Reply #2 on: 14:36:40, 14/01/21 »
April and beefy use  MSR hubba hubba, MSR Elixir, and TN Southern Cross,
Check out their TRs

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 14:52:49, 14/01/21 »
April and beefy use  MSR hubba hubba, MSR Elixir, and TN Southern Cross,
Check out their TRs

Est tibi . ?  ^-^

A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:09:38, 14/01/21 »
We have the 2 man MSR Hubba Hubba (and MSR Elixir 2) and a Southern Cross 2. Like all tents they have pros and cons. They are very different tents, the Southern Cross is a 4 season tent whereas the Hubba Hubba couldn't be called that but people do use them all year. Where and when do you want to use a tent? In all weathers?
Hate will never win

weston.front

« Reply #5 on: 20:30:20, 15/01/21 »
Hi April,

thanks for getting back to me.  I am writing an article on tent design and the one 'design class' of which I don't have personal experience is that represented by these two tents.  I wonder if you could let me know what you think the pro's and con's are of what I've termed the 'Y-Hub' design?
From an engineering perspective I'd have thought
Pro's - Good area of headroom (i.e. not just in one spot); Free standing, reasonable weight : space ratio.
Con's - I wonder if the pole joint into the hub ever causes problems?
It would seem to me to potentially be the best three season design yet devised, almost as strong as a dome, but lighter.  Almost as much 'area of good headroom' as a tunnel but without the noisy fly flapping often associated to tunnel tents.
But what it seems like on paper is one thing, I'm really keen to hear someones 'warts and all' experience in practice
Regards
Following the road less travelled : westonfront.wordpress.com

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 09:16:18, 16/01/21 »
You are right with the pro's you mention and that there is more head room and space in these tents, the Southern Cross isn't as roomy as the Hubba Hubba, they are also very easy to pitch. We haven't had any problems with poles, joints or hub except with the Hubba Hubba, if the wind changes, is strong (the tent should be pitched with the end into the wind) and hits the side of the tent it puts a lot of pressure on the middle pole which bends in. The Southern Cross's middle pole goes down to the ground so this is not an issue with that tent. Both tents still have noisy flapping in the wind. We haven't used the Southern Cross as much as the MSR; it was bought last winter and due to Covid restrictions or too bad weather we haven't been out in it this winter. I love the MSR tents we have despite the middle pole issue, we just try to make sure we pitch it with the end into the wind and are prepared to move it round a bit if the wind changes direction. Our Elixir and Hubba Hubba have both survived a good few batterings out on the fells! I'm not quite as fond of the Southern Cross because it isn't quite as roomy as the MSR but it is warmer and more sturdy so good for use in cold and windy conditions. Hope this helps!
Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy