Author Topic: 27th September - A Bowscale Round  (Read 1991 times)

karl h

• Veteran Member
27th September - A Bowscale Round
« on: 22:10:09, 01/10/20 »
One of my favourite rounds today.
We parked by the cottages at Bowscale and made our way along the track to Bowscale Tarn. Carrock Fell dominates the view ahead.
The view along the valley of the Caldew from the track.
Sue spotted a bird which she thought might be a woodpecker
And it was. A lesser spotted woodpecker no less.
A look back down the track.
Carrock Fell again  seen above the small collection of houses known as Roundhouse.
After not very long we arrive at Bowscale Tarn. The steep exit path out of the corrie is on the right just as you reach the water.
If you come to Bowscale Tarn on a sunny morning it's always hard to get a good photo.
A much better view of the tarn is had from the exit path .
The sun was doing it's best but there was quite a cool breeze blowing on the tops. Lovely view over to Skiddaw from here though.
The wind shelter on Bowscale fell was occupied so we had an early lunch in the lee of the hill before setting off across the boggy plain heading for Bannerdale Crags on the left. Atkinson Pike and Foule Crag on Blencathra are in shadow.
The east ridge of Bannerdale Crags with Souther Fell beyond.
Looking back over the deep valley of Bannerdale to Bowscale Fell.
From Bannerdale we made our way downhill to the cross roads at the head of the Glenderamackin and turned left to follow the river downstream.
Looking back up to the cross roads. The path improves as you descend but you have to negotiate a couple of land slips near the top.
Sharp Edge.
The path winds it's way around White Horse Bent and under Souther Fell.
Unfortunately after a good middle section the path becomes very boggy as you approach the end of the valley. This is looking back to Bannerdale.
We took the new..ish path around the river bed which is drier but still not blending in very well.
The Tongue and Bowscale Fell from the road back to Bowscale.
Our  route was -
- Bowscale - Bowscale Tarn - Bannerdale Crags - Glenderamackin valley - Mungrisdale - Bowscale. ( about 8.5 miles 2100 ft ascent )

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: 27th September - A Bowscale Round
« Reply #1 on: 22:57:49, 01/10/20 »
Great stuff, Karl. Reminds me very much of the walk I did earlier this year, right down to the Bowscale Fell shelter being occupied!

Bowscale Tarn is on my list for a winter wild camp.

PS - nothing wrong with that morning shot of Bowscale Tarn  O0
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 07:43:31, 02/10/20 »
Great pics of a lovely and quieter area.
Sharp Edge looks like a razor in your picture.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 07:44:26, 02/10/20 »
Great pics Karl  O0 Spectacular shot of Sharp Edge  O0

Hate will never win

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:39:29, 02/10/20 »
Thanks everyone O0
It's a shame that the path is so boggy near the end of the valley as otherwise it's a lovely easy round

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:20:16, 02/10/20 »
Thanks everyone O0
It's a shame that the path is so boggy near the end of the valley as otherwise it's a lovely easy round

At least you didn't miss the new path - We did, and we ended up splashing through the more than ankle deep Glenderamackin to get back to our car!

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 20:37:01, 02/10/20 »

At least you didn't miss the new path - We did, and we ended up splashing through the more than ankle deep Glenderamackin to get back to our car!

The new path is a bit confusing as it starts off heading away from Mungrisedale and then loops round. I've only walked that way once before usually I just splash through the river. :)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 17:02:54, 05/10/20 »

The new path is a bit confusing as it starts off heading away from Mungrisedale and then loops round. I've only walked that way once before usually I just splash through the river. :)

I saw the new path, but I was using a map that was over 30 years old - in that time the Glenderamackin has been making some changes! :D

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 18:21:43, 21/10/20 »
More lovely, sunshiney pics. 

That's a circuit I quite fancy one day.  Thanks for posting  :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy