Author Topic: [TR] : Red Screes – Take 2  (Read 2462 times)

Mel

• Veteran Member
[TR] : Red Screes – Take 2
« on: 21:39:25, 12/10/20 »
In the spirit of the previous forum meet…

I didn’t invite the three previous hardy, brave souls to join me on a second attempt at Red Screes which meant they didn’t accept.

So, we didn’t meet on Saturday and we never decided to go a slightly different way than before – along Nook Lane rather than The Struggle.  This meant we didn’t cross Scandale Beck just after the farm or follow the beck along its left flank.

Scandale Beck:

Seeing as this walk didn’t happen, the views didn’t start to appear:

Had we been doing this walk, we would have reached High Sweden Bridge and crossed the beck to rejoin our previous outward path on the walled track but, because we wasn’t doing this walk, we ignored the stile that would take us to the bridge and carried on up the Scandale Valley:

I guess I will just never know how taken I would be with this lovely valley which, I’m sure would have reminded me of a Scottish glen, had I seen it:

Obviously, we never saw this gorgeous little waterfall either:

I would have got a sneaky group photo too, but instead, all I got was this pic of the views we were robbed of last time with the guys photoshopped onto it:

We can only imagine how squishy and boggy the path (I use the term path loosely) would have got as we didn’t meander up the valley, on the lookout for the sheepfold where the path (I use the term path loosely) crosses the beck and rejoins the walled track. 

Luckily, as this meet didn’t happen, there’s no need to mention The Water-Gate Incident..

As we didn’t start our ascent out of the valley I never got to see this lovely view back down from whence we came:

…and I wouldn’t have mentioned, for the sixteenth time, how taken I was with this valley.

Had we met up to tackle an Autumnal Ascent of Red Screes we would have stopped at Banana-o’clock at the Scandale Pass to fortify ourselves for the start of the steep ascent.

I’m sure we would have seen views like this:

And this:

And this rainbow:

It would have been lovely to finally see the trig marking Red Screes’ summit

…and discover the seemingly pointlessness of the shelter.

A couple of pics I would have taken from the summit:

Okay, that was three pics.

I’m sure we would have had quite a lengthy snack stop just over the other side of the summit on some conveniently placed rocks and discovered how chilly the breeze was once you stopped moving.

If we’d looked down the Kilnshaw Chimney side to the Kirkstone Inn:

… we might have had a chat about how Red Screes got its name..

We didn’t walk down the “nose” of Red Screes so never saw another lovely rainbow:

Or views of Windermere through the squally rain showers:

Or the sun catching the rain shower blasting the Scandale Valley and highlighting the fells beyond:

Nor did we see an almost full length view of Windermere:

And The Floor-Surfing Episode definitely did not happen somewhere around here:

Had we reached the Kirkstone Road we would have had to give way to these ladies:

We would have eventually emerged opposite the big car park and said our goodbyes.

Thanks for an absolutely smashing day out in the hills guys.  It was just what the doctor ordered, for me, anyway  :)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: [TR] : Red Screes – Take 2
« Reply #1 on: 21:43:46, 12/10/20 »
Great that you didn't make it up Red Screes this time around, Mel!  ;)
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 22:39:02, 12/10/20 »
That would have been a lovely trip report and photos if only you had done the walk and then shared it on the forum.
Shame that you didn't.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 07:55:01, 13/10/20 »
"Luckily, as this meet didn’t happen, there’s no need to mention The Water-Gate Incident.."

Tried to sneak that one through didn't you?  Did anyone know that Mel used to tour as a Nadia Comaneci tribute act?  She is now available for advice on how to take the best line when crossing water hazards.   Not that I would know this of course, not having been on Red Screes on Saturday.

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 10:39:44, 13/10/20 »
Confused. Com. What on earth is Mel on about? When was this? Is this a TR from last year?
What previous meet? Eh?
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 11:48:28, 13/10/20 »
Confused. Com. What on earth is Mel on about? When was this? Is this a TR from last year?
What previous meet? Eh?

https://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=39943.0

Irrelevant, as none of this happened anyway.  ;)
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:49:37, 13/10/20 »
Did anyone know that Mel used to tour as a Nadia Comaneci tribute act? 

:o  :o  :o

I had no idea  :D

What a shame you didn't actually do this walk Mel and take all those lovely photos. It would have been a superb write up too, what a pity.
Hate will never win

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 20:55:31, 14/10/20 »
Lovely pics and TR Mel O0
Would have loved to join you on this walk if you had done it.
By coincidence I've got some pics from Red Screes when I went once ( definitely not the !0th October 2020)  :D

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 22:56:27, 14/10/20 »
Nice pics Karl.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 23:19:47, 14/10/20 »
Great that you didn't make it up Red Screes this time around, Mel!  ;)

Cheers Richard  ;D

That would have been a lovely trip report and photos if only you had done the walk and then shared it on the forum.
Shame that you didn't.

I know.  I will always regret not doing this walk again  :D

Tried to sneak that one through didn't you?

Yes.  I think I got away with it too  ::)

What previous meet? Eh?

Thaaat's the spirit pleb  O0

I had no idea  :D

I had no idea too April  :-[   ;D

Lovely pics and TR Mel O0
Would have loved to join you on this walk if you had done it.
By coincidence I've got some pics from Red Screes when I went once ( definitely not the !0th October 2020)  :D

Gosh! It looks like you had similar weather on your walk Karl  :D   Great pics too  O0

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 17:56:20, 17/10/20 »
Some great views there.  I’ve seriously missed they hills this year.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 23:11:02, 18/10/20 »
Cheers again RR.  I know what you mean.  I'm already wondering if I can squeeze another hilly weekend escape in before the clocks go back... or another lockdown.  Just gonna grab every opportunity I can  O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy