Author Topic: Bannerdale Crags descent question  (Read 3971 times)

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
Re: Bannerdale Crags descent question
« Reply #30 on: 16:48:07, 24/03/21 »
Souther Fell is a [censored] on your knees heading off the north side mind you, far better to take the easier zig zag walk off to the east, but you'll want to do this before it gets covered in bracken.  That north side must be one of the more precarious descents because so much of it seems wet grass.

Think Blencathra via Scales, Foule Crag, path following the Glenderamackin, Mungrisdale then back via the B-road to Scales would be a solid walk.  Not too much ascent either, plenty of meandering valley walking to get back into post-lockdown fitness gently.   Oh and the most importantly bit, a pub at the start, half way around, and back at the end again!  That's good walk planning right there.

Agreed about the north side of Souther Fell, but I have used the path on the ground which turns to the east side a little way down - much more sympathetic on the knees and just leaves a few hundred yards to the Mill in Mungrisdale for a pint.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 18:03:08, 24/03/21 »
Well that answers the question about Souther Fell that I was going to ask  ;D

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 10:56:28, 04/04/21 »
Was up that way yesterday, Mel. I was to the S of Bannerdale Crags and could see the faint path coming down the steep grassy hillside - didn't look too bad.

An alternative would be to head west from Bannerdale Crags summit to the head of the Glenderamackin valley, then take the path that traverses the slopes above the south side of the valley. We climbed up this path yesterday, and it is a good route, with nice views down the valley. There is one short stretch where it is a bit boggy, but it soon improves again, and as you descend it meets up with the path from Scales Tarn/Sharp Edge, which brings you easily onto the ridge leading to Souther Fell, thereby avoiding the reascent from the Glenderamackin Bridge. It is a long way around, though.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 10:58:00, 04/04/21 »
Good point Richard - I'd forgotten that path  O0

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 16:17:03, 04/04/21 »

Where we went yesterday. The path marked with red dots south of the Glenderamackin is the one that may be of interest to you, Mel. We lost it in one place on the way up after it branches just before a small stream, but easily corrected, and much easier to follow coming down the valley.
« Last Edit: 16:20:42, 04/04/21 by richardh1905 »

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 00:04:22, 05/04/21 »
Thanks for the map/route Richard.  You are right, it is a good path.  Looks similar(ish) to the walk Peter and myself did in 2014:

Trip report on mi blog: https://snailspacewalks.blogspot.com/2014/08/lake-district-day-1-blencathra-via.html

We did the route clockwise and went up one side of the Glenderamakin and down the other.  The small path on the left you started up was probably the Scales Beck path up to the tarn.  I personally think the views of Sharp Edge from the tarn and heading up the steep slope of Scales Fell are about as good as it gets.

Good to know that there’s still a faint path coming down the nose of B.Crags as well  O0

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 09:35:06, 05/04/21 »
The small path on the left you started up was probably the Scales Beck path up to the tarn.

It was the next stream to the north on the map, Mel - the path up to Scales Tarn was very obvious, it was the main path.

I'll take a look at your blog shortly.

Edit - you can see where I went wrong on your "Jeheeezus, Sharp Edge.... yet againn!!!" photo - there are two parallel paths - I took the lower that petered out in a bog.

Edit 2 - what a cake!  :D

Edit 3 - gorgeous shots of Scales Tarn.
« Last Edit: 09:43:44, 05/04/21 by richardh1905 »

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 21:06:11, 05/04/21 »
It was the next stream to the north on the map, Mel - the path up to Scales Tarn was very obvious, it was the main path.

Ahh, right.  I assumed it was where your track zigged to the left then zagged to the right at the beck.  My mistake.

...and yes, the cake was lovely  :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy