Author Topic: 11th April - Great Calva from Longlands  (Read 1737 times)

karl h

• Veteran Member
Re: 11th April - Great Calva from Longlands
« Reply #15 on: 20:42:39, 14/04/21 »
I think what’s particularly interesting to me is that it’s unusual to be looking south to Skiddaw and Blencathra. They normally dominate the northern vista.
I think Skiddaw  is still an attractive hill when viewed from the north but If you had never seen the south side of Blencathra you'd think it was a bit of a featureless lump. It's definitely a mountain with everything out front    :)

Thanks for posting this Karl.  Tempted to head towards Caldbeck and walk in from the 'back of the fells' and hit Dale Beck/etc and work towards the Cumbria Way link up.  Tend to stay away from these routes but a few days meandering through seems quite attractive at the moment!
Cheers FGMOP O0
Although I think it's a myth that the "back 'o' Skidda" fells are deserted they certainly were very quiet on Sunday I've not finished with the Dale Beck valley yet there looks to be a few more nooks and crannies to go and explore

MkPotato

• Veteran Member
Re: 11th April - Great Calva from Longlands
« Reply #16 on: 06:36:43, 15/04/21 »
I think Skiddaw  is still an attractive hill when viewed from the north but If you had never seen the south side of Blencathra you'd think it was a bit of a featureless lump. It's definitely a mountain with everything out front
I really need to do Skiddaw again (I can’t resist stopping at Blencathra 😄). I’ve only done it once, and I went up from Millbeck and down the main tourist track. The views south on the way down are some of the best in the Lakes.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy