Author Topic: Winter gear list and review  (Read 1118 times)

WILDWALKINGUK

Winter gear list and review
« on: 17:10:12, 09/01/21 »
I've just posted my gear list for the walk and wild-camp I did around the Lake District in the snow. It also includes my thoughts on how the gear performed in sub zero temperatures for 4-days. I've included the link below if interested.

https://wildwalkinguk.com/2021/01/08/winter-gear-list-lake-district/

Happy New Year and best of luck with your walks planned in 2021.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Winter gear list and review
« Reply #1 on: 18:39:31, 09/01/21 »
Read with interest.

If it wasn't for lockdown I would be in the market for some micro spikes.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

MarkT

« Reply #2 on: 19:22:08, 09/01/21 »
Enjoyed looking at all your gear but am curious to know which chocolate bars were best in the cold conditions. Never enjoyed sucking on frozen mars bars  :)

WILDWALKINGUK

« Reply #3 on: 19:34:48, 09/01/21 »
Loved the micro spikes, essential for safety on the frozen ground and really comfortable fitted to the Roclite 400 GTX boots. As for the chocolate bars, anything with air in was edible when frozen. Particularly liked the Wispas and Twirls myself, but I'm not recommending the Caramel Galaxy, as I don't want them selling out.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 00:14:21, 10/01/21 »
That was a good read.  Had my micro spikes on a lot over the current cold spell.  They are brilliant on frozen ground.  If it's just a bit warmer as in around zero and damp though then they ball up a lot with makes for slower progress.  The best bit is how they grip on rock.  I find them better hat full crampons on frozen rock, which means I sometimes carry both on steeper ground. Not on Dartmoor though. No steep ground there so just micro spikes. :)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 10:26:15, 10/01/21 »
Enjoyed looking at all your gear but am curious to know which chocolate bars were best in the cold conditions. Never enjoyed sucking on frozen mars bars  :)

I went off chocolate bars after struggling to eat a Snickers in the latter stages of the Welsh 3000's many years ago - I could hardly force it down! Much prefer dried fruit or a cereal bar for an energy boost, so much easier to stomach.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 15:32:53, 10/01/21 »
In my case because I've had a hiatus hernia for years a cereal bar ensures that I will have mild to medium pain for hours. Its not really a problem with plain chocolate as long as I don't lie down. For control, I have judged my eating times with care, last meal no later than 7pm, 8pm at a pinch, otherwise, I can really suffer. I need my food properly digested before I'm horizontal.

Davidedgarjones

« Reply #7 on: 16:19:50, 10/01/21 »
Re Micro spikes: I've had some Kahtoolas for several years but have never really used them until the current cold spell. Very effective on ice and compacted snow, but tend to "ball up" on the wetter stuff. Of course proper crampons have plates to reduce this problem.
Great set of web pages!

Dave

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 16:59:15, 10/01/21 »
Re Micro spikes: I've had some Kahtoolas for several years but have never really used them until the current cold spell. Very effective on ice and compacted snow, but tend to "ball up" on the wetter stuff. Of course proper crampons have plates to reduce this problem.
Great set of web pages!

Dave

I’ve used both Kahoolas and Yaktrack pros. I think for sort of walking I do (no scrambling, certainly no climbing) both make a really big positive difference on ice or compacted snow.

The only thing that probably makes it worth paying the extra for the Kahtoolas is that the rubber on the Yaktracks tends to break after a fairly low mile-age.

(For anyone who just wants something to give extra security on short walks in icy conditions...to get to local shops say...the Yaktracks are a darn good buy.)

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 17:02:18, 10/01/21 »
Great set of web pages!

Dave

Also use Kahtoolas, had them on last week in fact - same experience with wet snow, they're ideal for crisp icy conditions where you'd be sledging down on your backside were it not for having them with you, though!

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 20:56:14, 10/01/21 »
Kahtoola Microspikes are excellent provided you're not doing very steep or technical routes in serious conditions (in which case crampons are really required). They are easy to take on and off and work with any footwear.

For local walking to the shops on thin ice and snow, we use Kahtoola Nanospikes that have very small rough metal studs that grip well and are unobtrusive (apart from the noise: they make a loud tinny crunching sound). We can even keep them on inside the store, but they tend to slide about on the smooth tiled floor!.

weston.front

« Reply #11 on: 12:06:01, 13/01/21 »

If it wasn't for lockdown I would be in the market for some micro spikes.
Tried mine (Grivel Spiders) for the first time just pre-lockdown and was very pleased - see bit.ly/3rLIjq6...
(and whilst I'm on, how come I see URL's on peoples posts but I cannot add any without adulterating them?)
Following the road less travelled : westonfront.wordpress.com

weston.front

« Reply #12 on: 12:17:30, 13/01/21 »
I've just posted my gear list for the walk and wild-camp I did around the Lake District in the snow. It also includes my thoughts on how the gear performed in sub zero temperatures for 4-days. I've included the link below if interested.

Happy New Year and best of luck with your walks planned in 2021.
That made an interesting read, thanks.  Looking forward to surfing around your site too, good lockdown learning / entertainment.  On a fresh topic, how come you can post hyperlinks and I get a message saying it's not allowed?  Does one have to get past N posts or M weeks of membership of the board to allow this possibility to prevent abuse?
Following the road less travelled : westonfront.wordpress.com

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 12:18:22, 13/01/21 »
how come I see URL's on peoples posts but I cannot add any without adulterating them?
It may be because you need to make a certain number of posts to be trusted with links (I assume you are including the http(s) protocol in the link).

Also using URL shorteners like bit.ly is a very bad idea - the destination can't be seen directly.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 12:23:44, 13/01/21 »
Hi Weston Front, welcome to the forum.
Normally people joining the forum enter via the welcome page. Introducing themselves and their interests.

We see quite a number a few post members coming on to advertise their YT channels, blogs etc. Who soon disappear when the resultant growth in revenues are not as expected. The number of such posters has grown since lockdown.

If you read the forum rules it will be very plain then, why posting hyperlinks are not initually permitted and how to achieve such permissions.

Hope to see you adding to the sometimes heated, mainly helpful discussions that take place here for many years to come.
Welcome from the hills and hollows of Lincolnshire.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy