Author Topic: Use of trekking poles  (Read 2058 times)

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Use of trekking poles
« on: 23:59:27, 31/10/20 »
Too little, too late, too bad......

shortwalker

• Veteran Member
Re: Use of trekking poles
« Reply #1 on: 05:51:45, 01/11/20 »
Not really sure it what this report was supposed to achieve. Lots of things by their own admission need more research.

I walk with poles because I have a dodgy knee. Another benefit of walking with poles is that it means I am using more of my body to walk. By default, my cardiovascular function is improved.
Let your soul and spirit fly Into the mystic.

Van Morrison

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 07:02:25, 01/11/20 »
I use poles for a number of reasons. Walking like this can be more of a whole body workout. I can protect my knees when ascending or descending. My posture is improved, which is important for my back. Due to my back injury, my right leg does not always do what it is told and the poles lessen my risk of falling over, although I did trip over them on an early attempt at walking with them.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 10:13:18, 01/11/20 »
I use poles mainly to help me when going up or downhill and they are an aid to personal safety as well. I have also used then to test the depth of mud and water and to test if a rock is stable or not if I want a secure area under my feet. Usually very useful when crossing streams. They also hold up my tarp as well, can offer protection from dodgy animals and are really good for pointing out directions. I wouldn't hike without them.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 10:21:59, 01/11/20 »
I use poles mainly to help me when going up or downhill and they are an aid to personal safety as well. I have also used then to test the depth of mud and water and to test if a rock is stable or not if I want a secure area under my feet. Usually very useful when crossing streams. They also hold up my tarp as well, can offer protection from dodgy animals and are really good for pointing out directions. I wouldn't hike without them.

Yes they didn't cover that side of things, did they. But I suppose it was outside of the scope of the investigation. What I do know is that my creaking hips and knees won't carry me many miles without the use of poles. I was delighted to read that they improve my quality of life, which together with the current bright sunshine has encouraged me to get outside and use them. Meanwhile, I've saved the pdf for future reference, thanks jimbob for sharing it.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 11:19:12, 01/11/20 »
Looks as if there might be a PhD or two in there.
I use poles most of the time, for all the same reasons as everyone else, but not on short local walks (might preserve balance, what's left of it) but was slightly outraged to be an elderly walker at over 60. I reckoned I might concede the point round the next significant birthday, but surely not before!

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 11:30:47, 01/11/20 »
Additional uses are ensuring that others keep 2 metres away (if you have long enough arms) and helping cyclists riding along footpaths to quickly dismount.  :D

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 12:32:22, 01/11/20 »
Additional uses are ensuring that others keep 2 metres away (if you have long enough arms) and helping cyclists riding along footpaths to quickly dismount.  :D

I knew there was a very good reason for using them.  ;D

I find them very good for putting in the middle of a narrow wet, muddy path so I can keep on the drier edge of the path.
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:57:53, 01/11/20 »
Ive almost become a convert, having used my poles three times this year.

Its still in the balance, do i continue using them, or put them back in the cupboard.

Wish i had used them for my rather moist Cwm llafar adventure some weeks ago.

The jury is still out, but the weather at the moment is so poor, its stay in doors time iam afraid.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 12:58:17, 01/11/20 »
Also useful for making you look wider than you are when faced  with a speeding motorist on a narrow lane.
Solvitur Ambulando

shortwalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 13:07:53, 01/11/20 »
Also useful for making you look wider than you are when faced  with a speeding motorist on a narrow lane.

Or cyclist on a canal towpath.  Also handy opening some gates, so you don't have to use your hands.
Let your soul and spirit fly Into the mystic.

Van Morrison

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 13:16:04, 01/11/20 »

Or cyclist on a canal towpath.  Also handy opening some gates, so you don't have to use your hands.
I agree.  I was surprised how few gates cannot be opened by a pole with a bit of ingenuity.  Good for bondu bashing too.
« Last Edit: 13:20:02, 01/11/20 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 19:00:53, 01/11/20 »
- Saving my knees on descends
- Help pulling myself up on steep ascends
- Extra points of contact really helps on slippery situations
- Crossing deep raging streams safely
- Probing the ground - How deep is the snow? How soft is the bog? Etc
- "Measure" how deep a step is when descending (I cannot see in 3D)
- Pushing (thorny) vegetation away
- Smashing the water out of wet bushes overhanging the trail, so I get 80% less wet
- Stirring the vegetation/ long grass in front of me to warn snakes that I'm passing through
- Prevented me from falling on my ass thousands of times!
- At camp, I use them as a stand to aim my solar panel nicely towards the sun
- Can be used to support certain tent features (for example make tent self standing)
- Possible weapon against animals attacking me
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 19:06:46, 01/11/20 »
It's interesting that across the pond, until quite recently, hiking poles were seen as a weird European thing. Now it's been widely adopted. Even the most lightweight hikers that skim on everything but the bare essentials now almost all hike with poles because of the never ending list of benefits.
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 19:13:54, 01/11/20 »
I like your list, I completely forgot about wet vegetation. I now use Pacerpoles I prefer them to my previous ones.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy