Author Topic: TR Day 1 of an Overnighter from Moffat 19 Sep 20  (Read 2060 times)

April

• Veteran Member
We parked in the car park in Moffat and we were out camping. We were hoping to pitch with a view of the Blackhope Valley but we had about 7 or 8 miles walking to do first. We left the lovely town of Moffat by Burnside and Well Road to reach Blaebeck. We'd said hello to the very friendly folk of Moffat as we walked by them. We also waved hello at a farmer on a quad bike who passed us twice on Well Road.

Walking up Well Road from Moffat

Queensbury from Well Road

It was sunny and dry but slightly blustery. We had good views but it was very hazy in the far distance. We went by Blaebeck and followed the track north eastward above Birnock Water.

The forest on Pernie Rig

We had planned to use the break in the trees seen in the shot to ascend Pernie Rig from the forest road but the tree felling might make getting to it problematic.

Rushy Burn

We stopped for lunch by this burn. It was lovely sitting in the sunshine out of the wind. We said hello to the only 2 walkers we would be close enough to speak to for the rest of the day as they walked by us.

Birnock Cloves

We would be climbing that one (in the middle) instead of Pernie Rig.

The very steep sided Pernie Rig

We had thought about going up next to the trees but it looked too steep for comfort

Birnock Cloves

The route we took went from left to right in the path through the heather seen just above centre in this shot.

Crossing the burn onto Birnock Cloves

Looking down Birnock Water from the slopes of Birnock Cloves

The path through the heather was narrow and there was a big drop steeply downward so care was taken along this bit.

Looking back at the path through the heather

On the way up Birnock Cloves

It was steep but straightforward now and it was a pleasant climb up

Looking back at the way up Birnock Cloves

Squeaky enjoying a rest

Squeaky leading the way up Birnock Cloves

We went up the left ridge, it was less steep. At the top we walked toward the view above Blackhope Burn. We noted a water source for our camp if we couldn't find any more. I'd spotted a tarn in a photo when researching the route but I wasn't sure where it was because it isn't marked on the map and I had hoped to find this to use for our camp but we couldn't see it anywhere.

Under Saddle Yoke and Saddle Yoke above Blackhope Burn

The wind here was really strong and it was freezing. No camping with this view for us we would have to pitch somewhere more sheltered. The forecasts we'd read were slightly conflicting, one for 10mph and one for 25 - 30mph. It was somewhere in between.

Looking toward Falcon Craig

Looking back at Black Craig

We'd seen a lone walker on here but too far away to speak too. 

Hart Fell above Upper Coomb Craig

The view beyond Hart Fell from Swatte Fell

Toward the Lowther Hills from Swatte Fell

We'd not found another water source so after deciding on a pitch on Swatte Fell we had to descend to the water source from earlier when we'd been above Birnock Cloves and walk back again. 

The MSR on Swatte Fell

It was early at 3.30pm but we were getting cold in the wind so we pitched the tent. There were 3 walkers in the far distance un Upper Coomb Craig but they didn't come our way, they went along the ridge to Black Craig.

View to the Ettrick Hills and the Lake District fells in the haze beyond

We had some tea and had a glass of wine.

The sun going down over the Lowther Hills

Sunset is getting earlier now, 19.19pm. 

Almost gone

The sun disappears

A slight red glow

The moon appeared. Not a great sunset but the best one we have had this year. The wind was still strong, it was forecast to die down but it was blustery all night. 

Day 1 was Moffat - Well Road - Blaebeck - Birnock Cloves - Nether Coomb Craig - Swatte Fell - water source above Birnock Cloves - Swatte Fell. 6.9 miles with  765m ascent.
Hate will never win

karl h

• Veteran Member
Re: TR Day 1 of an Overnighter from Moffat 19 Sep 20
« Reply #1 on: 19:29:55, 22/09/20 »
Very nice April O0
looks very Back O' Skidda ish
It is going dark early now, it's frightening how fast the year is going :o

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:42:29, 22/09/20 »
Great pics Ape  O0
Was a lovely weekend of fun,
A sunset and an inversion, not bad
Fancy a wc this weekend  :)
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:52:44, 22/09/20 »
Nice pics April.
Karl's right about it being Back O'Skiddaw, lovely.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:07:18, 22/09/20 »
Lovely pictures, April. I've been looking at a route starting in Moffat (which is a lovely town) -  did you park on the left just before the public park and the garage on your right?
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:23:25, 22/09/20 »
It is going dark early now, it's frightening how fast the year is going :o

I know, it will be 7pm sunset I think this weekend!

Fancy a wc this weekend  :)

I do  :)

Karl's right about it being Back O'Skiddaw, lovely.

Thanks Ridge  O0

did you park on the left just before the public park and the garage on your right?

Yes, that is the one. You can also park on the main street, all free, they don't charge for parking in Moffat. All the locals were very friendly and said hello to us as we passed them, it is a nice place to visit even if you don't go walking. Moffat had a very nice feel to it, a lovely town.
Hate will never win

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 21:32:52, 22/09/20 »
Yes, that is the one. You can also park on the main street, all free, they don't charge for parking in Moffat. All the locals were very friendly and said hello to us as we passed them, it is a nice place to visit even if you don't go walking. Moffat had a very nice feel to it, a lovely town.

Yes - I've stopped there many a time in the past on my way north/south.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 16:47:05, 23/09/20 »
Tremendous sunset. Not jealous at all 👀
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy