Author Topic: A day in the Carneddau  (Read 3537 times)

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
A day in the Carneddau
« on: 18:43:53, 18/04/21 »
Well its been a while since I ventured in here.  Been quiet hasn't it?

Friday afternoon in the office thinking, Wasdale or Kentmere?  When out of the blue came the answer, Abergwngregyn!  Younger daughter then surprised me twice, once my saying she'd like to get up at 5 a.m. to accompany me, and secondly, by achieving it!

Saturday morning - in the car at 5.30, pulled into the tiny car park above Aber at 7.15 - the only car there, which is a first!

Set off walking in that lovely morning sunshine; Edit - just noticed I have posted a thumbnail here, sorry - I don't seem to be able to replace it, but hey ho.

With wonderful views of the Irish sea, all calm and Med like

We followed the old Roman road (I don't think there's a new Roman road!) which climbs gently round Foel Ganol.  I though about going over this and Yr Orsedd and Pen Bryn -du, but I didn't want to tire my daughter out to early - she is a delicate flower!

The views open out behind as the track climbs, thoigh they are somewhat marred by the massive pylons carrying power lines across towards the Conwy valley;

I had told my daughter about the Carnedd ponies, and sure enough they were on full display yesterday - this one was busy feeding the little one as we passed;

The track continues to climb steadily, and the views back continue to open out;

While to the right the view to Llyn Anafon nestling under Llwytmor are rather nice;

The first summit on this route is Drum, and this is the view just before reaching it - reason enough to climb it I think;

At this stage the youngster was showing signs of "Oh hell what I have agreed to do" so we stopped awhile and ate flapjack, while I tried to shield her from the view of the ascent path to Foel Fras.  When she did see it she informed me that she would not be speaking for a while!  I don't know why, but this climb always seems harder than it should - maybe because it is a straight line.  Anyway, here she is a little bit behind her old dad;

I noticed the other picture I took showed her waving to me in Churchill style.

Foel Fras duly summited we stopped for a further food break - scotch eggs.  Daughter nabbed the throne in the wonderful shelter just to the southwest of the summit;

We then walked the easy undulating path to Carnedd Gwenllian where the views to Carnedd Llewellyn, Carnedd Dafydd and Yr Elen were a bit more wintry than I expected;

My plan was to go as far as Foel Grach, but the wee one was tiring, bless her.  So, with regret we turned round and retraced our steps as far as the col between Foel Fras and Drum, where we bore left to descend to Llyn Anafon.  There is no path on the maps for this descent, but there is a patchy one on the ground.  Previously I have found this rather arduous, but yesterday I was a bit more careful, what with having responsibilities, and picked a cracking line, which, coincidentally seemed to have a path in it!  Near the top we met a brand new foal, still tottering around while mum had some grass;

The descent was lovely and easy and mostly dry underfoot, and very pretty;

At the lake we picked up the service track and walked down this for a couple of miles back to the car.  It's a very picturesque route;

Eventually the track curves northwards and joins drops down to the car park.  You can just see the carpark on the picture below at the end of the walled road up from Aber;

All in a wonderful day out, finished at 1.15, and back for a family bbq by 3.30.  Magic.  11 and a bit miles and around 850 metres of ascent.

MkPotato

• Veteran Member
Re: A day in the Carneddau
« Reply #1 on: 20:19:12, 18/04/21 »
That’s a great route. It’s quite an undertaking to do the high Carneddau from that side. I made an aborted attempt following the afon above the waterfall, then over Llywtmor, and then intended to go up to Foel-fras. The weather came in so I dropped down into Llyn Anafon and followed Afon Anafon back to the car park. It’s a lovely part of the world, and certainly once you get above Aber Falls you feel very much away from the modern world.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:01:00, 18/04/21 »
Cheers MkP, I love the Carneddau, and the start from Aber is one of my favourites - it's a route that just keeps giving, and an out and back is still relatively easy on the knees.  I love to get to Llewellyn and back - the beer feels very well deserved!  I love that huge area of high level easy(ish) walking.  Lovely yesterday to see it through someone else's eyes.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:00:44, 18/04/21 »
In a word .. Wonderful . Great views , super walk , smashing company...and that foal !  O0
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 23:19:40, 18/04/21 »
Great stuff; love that area - making me hanker for the Carneddau.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

MkPotato

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 06:51:36, 19/04/21 »
Cheers MkP, I love the Carneddau, and the start from Aber is one of my favourites - it's a route that just keeps giving, and an out and back is still relatively easy on the knees.  I love to get to Llewellyn and back - the beer feels very well deserved!  I love that huge area of high level easy(ish) walking.  Lovely yesterday to see it through someone else's eyes.

That’s a long way from Aber to Llewelyn! As you say though, there’s not a lot of descent/reascent once you’re on the main ridge, but that’s a decent old mileage.

It must have been wonderful to see the foals.

I’m determined to do the Carneddau from Bethesda via Caseg at some point - preferably after a dry spell!

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 07:31:06, 19/04/21 »
I wonder why they ditched Carnedd Uchaf in favour of Carnedd Gwenllian?

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 08:39:10, 19/04/21 »
Thanks G&P, it was a wonderful day.

Richard - I bet you miss the Carneddau - I am very envious of you having lived round there.  I found this which explains the renaming,

https://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2009/09/22/welsh-peak-will-bear-name-of-lost-princess#:~:text=The%203%2C000%2Dfooter%20currently%20called,changed%20to%20reflect%20the%20change.

You're right MkP - it's a long day and I'm not sure I would have enjoyed it on Saturday - another couple of weeks of trying to regain fell fitness before that  :)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 08:49:32, 19/04/21 »
Richard - I bet you miss the Carneddau - I am very envious of you having lived round there.  I found this which explains the renaming,

https://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2009/09/22/welsh-peak-will-bear-name-of-lost-princess#:~:text=The%203%2C000%2Dfooter%20currently%20called,changed%20to%20reflect%20the%20change.

Yes I do, but I'll be down that way sometime with my family on a holiday or camping trip post Covid - the mountains will keep.

Thanks for the link - the renaming does raise some interesting issues.

photonut

« Reply #9 on: 09:46:23, 19/04/21 »
Well that looks rather nice!  Some great pics there.

It looks like a very good walking route, seems you had a cracking day out  O0

Hopefully see you Thursday... I'll definitely be there as taken most of the week off to go zipping around the fells.

Cheers, Lee

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 09:52:19, 19/04/21 »
Morning Lee - enjoy your week you lucky [censored]***. ;D   Enjoyed Saturday - a different test to last week's but things seem to be improving.

Yes - quite hopeful for Thursday at the moment, see you there.

Paul
Edited - the censored bit was a row of asterisks!

photonut

« Reply #11 on: 09:58:20, 19/04/21 »
Glad things are improving, more fell walking required to get you back fell fit  :coolsmiley: .

I needed to take days off this week to make up for Saturdays... and Sundays debacle(s).

Cheers, Lee

photonut

« Reply #12 on: 10:00:10, 19/04/21 »

Paul
Edited - the censored bit was a row of asterisks!

Really? I didn't know asterisks were deemed offensive  ;D

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 10:04:06, 19/04/21 »
Do we need a TR about your debacles? 

photonut

« Reply #14 on: 10:09:00, 19/04/21 »
I wouldn't want to bore folk with the trivialities (is that even a word?)

Back on track... superb TR  O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy