Author Topic: TR Snowdonia  (Read 7985 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: TR Snowdonia
« Reply #15 on: 21:21:18, 26/04/21 »
You wouldn't like climbing out of Ruthwaite Cove on Nethermost Pike then  :D

I'm the other way around, by the way, I generally prefer to climb up steep ground rather than down it.
« Last Edit: 21:37:11, 26/04/21 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 23:12:04, 26/04/21 »
It's not long ago I plotted out the route in ViewRanger up Watkin (not South Ride), down Miners, up Gribyn and down either Watkin or Lliwedd and across country to rejoin Watkin at the waterfalls. Hadn't seen anyone suggest it and now you have! The pictures are great, reminds me of my one and only trip to the summit so far, which was via Rhyd Ddu then back part way down Snowdon Ranger before heading back to Rhyd Ddu across country.

MkPotato

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 07:21:23, 27/04/21 »
Great minds think alike!

Funnily enough, my other plan was, either from the summit or after the Gribin, going up Lliwedd, then dropping down from Lliwedd Bach, past the mine levels, and down to the mining track that skirts SW back to the Watkin. Alternatively, going slightly further round the ridge, then dogleg back down that slope. It’s difficult to tell from google earth, and you don’t really know the surface is like. I seem to remember a couple of guys from one of the magazines tackled that southeastern quadrant.

There’s almost certainly a viable route, as that part of Lliwedd is generally quite grassy, but it’s potentially quite a tricky 200 or so metres.

As it was, after descending to Glaslyn and back, I didn’t really have anything in the tank to go up Lliwedd. It probably adds another couple of miles to the length as well. I’d be interested to hear the best way of tackling that section.

redeye

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 07:46:28, 27/04/21 »
Great photos and TR. I haven't yet done the Gribin route but will hopefully find time this year. I was on Snowdon a couple of weeks back, a very quiet Thursday where I saw around 50 people all day, around 30 on Snowdon summit. My route was the Cwm Llan Horseshoe starting from the Watkin but going up Yr Aran, South Ridge, Snowdon, back over Y Lliwedd and Gallt y Wenallt through the copper mine and back down the watkin. Just over 10 miles on a superb mountain day 👍
https://my.viewranger.com/track/details/MTg5MDMzMzk=
« Last Edit: 07:50:29, 27/04/21 by redeye »

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 09:29:17, 27/04/21 »
. . .  the Moel Eilio route is stunning . . .
. . . probably better to start with Eilio, and come down Llanberis

-Dave- and I did that route a few years back.

Dave's TR is here:
http://allthegearbutnoidea.blogspot.com/2017/06/snowdon-via-moel-eilio-moel-cynghorion.html
Skip

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 09:56:20, 27/04/21 »
I’ve been meaning to do the Gribin for sometime, and a recent post by Skip piqued my interest.
I'm glad it did - a great post MkP  :)

Your clear account (and the photos) of ascending Y Gribin is very helpful. My main concern was confidence in route-finding rather than the actual scrambling. Bolstered by your TR I will now have a go next time I'm in Wales.

My plan - in so far as there is one - is a quick circular. I'll get the bus to Pen-Y-Pass then follow the Miners to Glaslyn (or, if it's crowded, go along the Horns). From Glaslyn I'll ascend Y Gribin, then over LLiwedd and down the pitched path to the valve house beside the Miners at the end of Llyn Llydaw. That will be a bit over six miles with approx 2,200 feet of ascent.

Thanks again for your post   O0
Skip

MkPotato

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 12:58:36, 27/04/21 »
Great photos and TR. I haven't yet done the Gribin route but will hopefully find time this year. I was on Snowdon a couple of weeks back, a very quiet Thursday where I saw around 50 people all day, around 30 on Snowdon summit. My route was the Cwm Llan Horseshoe starting from the Watkin but going up Yr Aran, South Ridge, Snowdon, back over Y Lliwedd and Gallt y Wenallt through the copper mine and back down the watkin. Just over 10 miles on a superb mountain day 👍
https://my.viewranger.com/track/details/MTg5MDMzMzk=

Brilliant. That’s the route in question. I presume the off-piste bit from the ridge to the mine was pretty easy? Looks like a relatively easy descent.

MkPotato

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 13:07:10, 27/04/21 »
I'm glad it did - a great post MkP  :)

Your clear account (and the photos) of ascending Y Gribin is very helpful. My main concern was confidence in route-finding rather than the actual scrambling. Bolstered by your TR I will now have a go next time I'm in Wales.

My plan - in so far as there is one - is a quick circular. I'll get the bus to Pen-Y-Pass then follow the Miners to Glaslyn (or, if it's crowded, go along the Horns). From Glaslyn I'll ascend Y Gribin, then over LLiwedd and down the pitched path to the valve house beside the Miners at the end of Llyn Llydaw. That will be a bit over six miles with approx 2,200 feet of ascent.

Thanks again for your post   O0

Good plan. I suspect there are multiple possible routes up the Gribin, as the rock strata seem to form a series of steps anyway. If you stay centre/right they sort of guide you. I went slightly left at one point, and the strata were then leaning over rather than away, so went back right.

By the way that Moel Eilio circuit you did with Dave was indeed epic - and done in an impressive time. Adding Garnedd Ugain is plain masochistic!

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 18:17:01, 27/04/21 »
. . .  that Moel Eilio circuit you did with Dave was indeed epic - and done in an impressive time.

Yup, we didn't hang around! Walks with Dave are almost always epic and done at an exhilarating pace O0
Skip

Mary_walker

« Reply #24 on: 00:43:33, 28/04/21 »
Fantastic photos! I am going to Snowdonia this weekend. The weather forecast doesn't seem so promising, do you have any ideas of fun things to do there in case I don't manage to climb because of the bad weather conditions?

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 08:05:17, 28/04/21 »
Fantastic photos! I am going to Snowdonia this weekend. The weather forecast doesn't seem so promising, do you have any ideas of fun things to do there in case I don't manage to climb because of the bad weather conditions?

Forecast doesn't look too bad, cold on top with a chance of wintery showers, but some sunshine and not too windy.

There are lots of tourist attractions in Snowdonia/NW Wales, but not sure whether they will be fully open due to Covid. The Llechwedd slate mines, for example, are running at reduced capacity, and pre booking essential. https://llechwedd.co.uk/the-tours/the-deep-mine-tour. There are also the narrow gauge railways, castles, stone circles etc - there is even a surfing centre in Dolgarrog - or you could choose a lower level walk - the Gwydir Forest west of Llanrwst is beautiful, with a couple of small lakes to visit (Geirionydd, Crafnant). Mountain biking is another option - plenty of suitable trails in the forests.

Also lovely coastline around the Lleyn Peninsula and Anglesey - Newborough in particular.
If you like gardens - Bodnant Gardens in the Conwy valley will be beautiful at this time of year. Book in advance, though. https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/bodnant-garden

« Last Edit: 08:10:04, 28/04/21 by richardh1905 »

Mary_walker

« Reply #26 on: 11:05:27, 28/04/21 »
Thank you so much for your good advice, I will stay in Bangor and plan to go hiking from Llanberis, are these attractions near Llanberis? It's a relief if the weather looks fine in your opinion. It should  be sad if I couldn't climb.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 16:56:19, 28/04/21 »
Thank you so much for your good advice, I will stay in Bangor and plan to go hiking from Llanberis, are these attractions near Llanberis? It's a relief if the weather looks fine in your opinion. It should  be sad if I couldn't climb.

All less than an hour away.

redeye

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 18:52:29, 28/04/21 »

Brilliant. That’s the route in question. I presume the off-piste bit from the ridge to the mine was pretty easy? Looks like a relatively easy descent.
Yes I found it an easy to follow route, it was fine and sunny so that helped. Nice and grassy although it could get a bit boggy after any rain. It's the second time I have done this horseshoe and it's a good alternative to the main Snowdon Horseshoe. A blog post here if you fancy a read  O0
https://aredeyeview.blogspot.com/2017/07/cwm-llan-horseshoe-2-7-2017.html

MkPotato

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 20:06:50, 28/04/21 »
Yes I found it an easy to follow route, it was fine and sunny so that helped. Nice and grassy although it could get a bit boggy after any rain. It's the second time I have done this horseshoe and it's a good alternative to the main Snowdon Horseshoe. A blog post here if you fancy a read  O0
https://aredeyeview.blogspot.com/2017/07/cwm-llan-horseshoe-2-7-2017.html
Great write-up and pics!

Looks like an enjoyable, and very quiet route - there’s hardly a lot of people going over Lliwedd, but going down to the mines really appeals to me. I love the idea of being relatively isolated on such a busy mountain.

You could probably add this proviso to any walk in Snowdonia - “might be a bit boggy after a rainy spell” 🤣🤣

I’ve only done Yr Aran once, but it’s a great detour.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy