Author Topic: Completely covering Kent  (Read 38071 times)

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
Re: Completely covering Kent
« Reply #105 on: 15:24:57, 06/06/20 »
This morning, my wife and I did a local-ish walk in one of our favourite areas. We drove to Chilham, which is a few miles west of Canterbury, followed quiet lanes to Chartham, then returned to Chilham along one of my favourite sections of the North Downs Way.

The village of Chilham, with the castle gates right on the square, is as quaint and picturesque as Kent villages get!  :)

We saw a toad and a young rabbit:

Chartham, on the River Stour, is very nice too - and it has a vineyard (bottom-right):

I like the point where we joined the North Downs Way, because the trail goes straight through someone's property. I remember feeling very awkward the first time I went this way. Then, sometime later, the owners created their own diversion around the property, but the original route has been re-established.  :)

A few photos from the North Downs Way - clockwise from top-left: 1. Orchards cover much of the land here and there's a very smart caravan site for fruit-pickers in the photo. 2. That young crop is flax, but I'm sure you knew that. 3. Going down a hill... 4. ...and looking back to the same hill from the top of a wheat field.

Although most of the walk was along familiar ways, at least a couple of miles were along previously unwalked lanes - which is a very important consideration!  ;)

Oh, I almost forgot to mention... I started recording my walks 3 years and 7 months ago. On this walk I passed the 10,000 mile mark!  :)
« Last Edit: 15:28:24, 06/06/20 by WhitstableDave »
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #106 on: 14:54:54, 10/06/20 »
(Another area close to where I live that I hadn't explored before.)

This morning, I set off intending to do one of my regular local walks - along the coast to Herne Bay, inland to Herne, and back along lanes. I've been avoiding this section of coast for months now, because the sea wall between Whitstable and Herne Bay is popular with dog walkers and runners. But I thought the time had come to start returning to some sort of normality.

Before I left home, I checked the tide times and noted that low tide today would coincide with me being near what's described on the OS map as Tidal Pond. This is a large area of shingle islands that are exposed at low tide and I've often wondered if it's possible to walk out to them. Today seemed like the day to try!

While the OS map shows a possible circuit (with the islands being connected), the reality was different and there was only one way out and back on this occasion. Perhaps when the tide is at its very lowest...

The view from the sea wall:

Setting off. A little further on I came to a bit that needed splashing across. The tide wasn't fully out yet so I was confident I could return the same way if necessary:

A view from the outermost shingle island, looking towards Herne Bay:

As above, but from the easternmost tip:

This photo was taken at the point where I tried to work out if I could get back by a different route. I couldn't see a way, so I went back the way I came:

From here I could see that I'd done the right thing - there would have been quite an expanse of water to cross:

The bit I had to splash through out and back... but my Salomon Sandford shoes were up to the challenge!

And finally, a sort of watery maze back to the beach and the rest of my walk...  :)

There really is nothing like a bit of variety when it comes to walking.  ;)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #107 on: 19:21:44, 10/06/20 »
Thanks for those. Your photos, to my eyes, always seem so clear, do you use any special camera or is it just personal skill?

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #108 on: 20:12:31, 10/06/20 »
Thanks for those. Your photos, to my eyes, always seem so clear, do you use any special camera or is it just personal skill?

Thanks GWM. I rarely think my photos are up to much, so your comment surprised me. I use an ageing Samsung S7 phone, which my wife gave me when she bought a new one.  :)

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #109 on: 15:51:48, 14/06/20 »
We did something a little bit different today.  :)

My wife took up running less than a year ago, beginning with the 'Couch to 5K' scheme and going on from there. She's met various targets so far and her next target is to run a half-marathon. She wants to run in the Canterbury half-marathon this summer (assuming it takes place).

On our walk yesterday, with three miles still to go, my wife began to run while I did my usual brisk walking pace. It worked very well - with us compromising on a speed of 4.2mph, which we kept up for the rest of the way home.

This morning, we decided to try our novel approach on the Canterbury half-marathon route to find out if my wife could run that distance, with me alongside her walking it. Starting just south of Canterbury, the route passes through typically wonderful, and quite hilly, Kent countryside. According to the official website, "The course is challenging and covers the quiet country lanes on the outskirts of the city."

We parked about a quarter of a mile before the start of the route, so we actually did 13.6 miles. Our plan worked perfectly; my wife ran 99% of the way, stopping only for photos or to let vehicles pass in the narrow lanes. I walked briskly! Our moving speed was 4.2mph and our overall speed was 4.1mph.

Some photos of the countryside south of Canterbury. Top-right is a field of oats, which isn't a common crop here.

More countryside, going through Petham, and arriving at Waltham:

A signpost near the start/finish. I love the name Thanington Without. And of course, the fungus is Dryad's Saddle... :)

I'm in awe of my wife and her achievement today. A year ago I complained that she walked too slowly; now I have to ask her to slow down!  ;)

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #110 on: 16:22:46, 16/06/20 »
I'm getting back into doing normal local walks again, which basically means going off-road much more than I have been doing - and exploring a bit too.

Today, I chose a variation of a route I like to do when I fancy a longish walk. I walked to Seasalter and followed the coast by Graveney Marshes as far as Faversham Creek. Then I went inland for the return, following country lanes but also lots of footpaths.

I did a few short detours towards the end in order to get the distance up to 20 miles.  :)

Looking across to the Isle of Sheppey : looking ahead along the sea wall, with the marshes below...

A drainage channel on the marshes : Faversham Creek and the tide is high...

Near Faversham, I crossed a field of rape - tough stuff at this time of year!

I'd done most of the route many times before, but I managed to find a couple of paths I'd not previously walked - including this one. It began really well, but it fizzled out after about half-a-mile.

Passing through orchards between Hernhill and Dargate...

I don't know what it is, but I love this plant growing on soggy ground by a small stream:

A path that was far too overgrown to attempt today! : Looking back at a path I really ought not to have used - my legs are still stinging!

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #111 on: 17:00:29, 16/06/20 »
I really do like your walks display method, to my colour blind eyes it's so easy to see and understand. You should do a slot on that 'How do they do it' programme.

IGN French app map routes are marked in dark blue (or is it purple?) and I can follow their routes easily. I can also follow 'gps-routes.co.uk as well, they are marked in bright red, at least I think it's red, it could be brown but at least I can see them clearly.

The most problematic site for my eyes is the National Trails site, their routes are highlighted in what I think is silver, for me so hard to see.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #112 on: 18:54:09, 16/06/20 »
I really do like your walks display method, to my colour blind eyes it's so easy to see and understand. You should do a slot on that 'How do they do it' programme.

IGN French app map routes are marked in dark blue (or is it purple?) and I can follow their routes easily. I can also follow 'gps-routes.co.uk as well, they are marked in bright red, at least I think it's red, it could be brown but at least I can see them clearly.

The most problematic site for my eyes is the National Trails site, their routes are highlighted in what I think is silver, for me so hard to see.
Thanks GWM, I always appreciate your replies.  :)

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #113 on: 21:39:34, 16/06/20 »
I always like you TRs.
Remind me of being young, not that I want 2 weeks holiday in Broadstairs, with my family (excpet Father), my Aunt and her family (only 4 kids then), my Grandparents, Grand Uncle and his daughter (still around and still see her), her kids, only one around now, out of 3, and then the Great Aunts.
All crammed into 2 beach chalets as it rained for two weeks, always.

I took my Grandmother down the for a day in 1989, 20 years after I had last been, it was still in black and white.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #114 on: 22:36:07, 16/06/20 »
I think that Broadstairs is one of the nicest areas in East Kent and I always enjoy looking down to the beach from the cliff top. You can see the beach huts...   :)

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #115 on: 08:21:23, 17/06/20 »
Don't remember the beach huts.
But the chalets are still there.
I still struggle to read any Dickens.
My memory is more like this.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #116 on: 13:11:17, 17/06/20 »
Your reference to Charles Dickens has reminded me that I watched the film 'The Personal History of David Copperfield' two days ago. I really enjoyed it. I thought it was filmed down south but a lot of it was filmed in Hull and nearby. Some wonderful flat landscapes.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #117 on: 17:48:47, 19/06/20 »
This afternoon I did a short walk with my daughter and two grandsons at Victory Wood, about three miles from Whitstable.  :)

Victory Wood is owned by the Woodland Trust and to save me paraphrasing what it says on the website, here's an extract...  ;)

The wood is the Flagship site for the Trafalgar Woods Project of 2005 to commemorate the bicentenary of the Battle of Trafalgar (1805) organised by the Woodland Trust and the Society for Nautical Research. The Trafalgar Woods Project established 27 new woods, one wood for every boat which took part in the British fleet at this battle. All around Victory Wood there are a number of interpretative structures which are themed around the Battle of Trafalgar, and also are linked to the importance of trees/woodlands and how different tree species were traditionally used. Look out for the full scale footprint of the HMS Victory marked out using oak posts, and the ‘Discovery Trail’ that leads to eight of the enemy fleet, each marked out by evergreen oaks. At the top of the ridge (approx 1.4 km from the car park) is the Link Sculpture, a panoramic viewfinder –well worth the climb!

If you're wondering where the trees are in most of my photos, I should point out that Victory Wood is still very young!

Left: the Panoramic Viewfinder; although it's not obvious from my photo, the views from here are wonderful.
Right: This is a cold war bunker, from where exploding nuclear bombs could be observed (unless they exploded too close!):

There are some areas of mature woodland and the entire site is part of Blean Woods - one of the largest areas of ancient woodland in the UK.

Heading back to the car park. The viewpoint and nuclear observation post are on the hill behind:

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #118 on: 15:46:51, 20/06/20 »
Last Sunday, my wife and I followed the course of the Canterbury half-marathon with her running and me walking. The route was along tarmacked lanes and I noted a number of footpaths along the way that looked well worth trying, so today we parked in the same place and did a walk in the same area. This time though, we used footpaths almost exclusively.

Although Kent is known for hops, it seems that there are more vineyards than hop fields nowadays. This one we passed through early on is impressively big!

Three photos of a rape field near Lower Hardes and one of a field with sheep in:

Passing the church in Lower Hardes:

A lot of soft fruit (other than grapes) is grown in the area. This is either loganberry or blackberry...

Just a few nice field photos:  :)

Another big vineyard; this one is near Garlinge Green:

This is Swarling Manor. The fourth photo is the view from the hamlet towards Chartham Downs:

A nameless intermittent stream, common on chalky land:

My favourite photo of the day. This is Kent!  :)

And lastly, some photos with poppies in them...

A fantastic walk in a beautiful area!  :)

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #119 on: 15:57:56, 26/06/20 »
It was very hot again as I set off for my morning walk.

I headed in an easterly direction with no particular route in mind. After a while it occurred to me that I hadn't seen any coltsfoot yet this year. I've only ever found coltsfoot growing locally on some sea cliffs about 8 miles east of Whitstable, so that's where I headed. I was on a quest!  :)

I turned towards the coast and crossed a field of onions. I like straight lines (who doesn't?) and I liked the way the onions drew the eye to Reculver Towers, which can just be seen in the distance...

I reached the cliffs and walked west for a mile or two in search of coltsfoot. I didn't see a single one.

I was sure it was about this time of year that I'd found them last year, but when I checked last year's photos I discovered I was about three months too late! Three months!! I'm suffering from season lag!   ::)

Oh well, never mind. I took this photo last year - and I'll include it here for anyone who doesn't know what coltsfoot looks like.  ;)

It's actually quite a challenging wildflower to spot because it resembles a dandelion at first glance. So when looking for coltsfoot, it's necessary to check every dandelion in order to discount it.  :)

A mini canyon with a tiny stream and sandy cliffs:

After about 10 miles I finally reached the sea and was able to soak my hat, fill it with water, and put it on. Wonderful! I repeated the process three more times using beach-side cold taps in Herne Bay and Whitstable.

Crossing the nature reserve at Long Rock. There was something out there once...

The walk was just over 17 miles. In addition to 4 hat-fulls of cold water, I got through 4 bottles of drink (2 bottles, each refilled once). Heat is less of a problem when water is plentiful!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy