Author Topic: Wider interest in the right to roam  (Read 966 times)

lostme1

• Veteran Member
Re: Wider interest in the right to roam
« Reply #1 on: 19:17:12, 30/11/20 »
Not unless you hold your breath for many years
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 10:41:00, 01/12/20 »
An interesting link Roburite, encouraging that the paper has managed to get 100 celebrities together on this issue, but until they harness the talents, connections and influence those well known names have, I think that you may well be short off breath.

The left wing of politics have managed to progress the freedom of our countryside on rights, yet failed really to pin down that element of right wing politics that have caused the problems. The old shire conservatives have a weak case, yet this is not the flaw that is being attacked. There is a strong economic case to be presented, where the evidence are in the power of everyone, who walks and sees an opportunity to leave the righteous way. In other words walkers :smiley6600: .

If a celebrity like Stephen Fry is given the ammunition to ridicule a 'Lord Haw Haw' of the landed gentry, would he take it. I am sure he met the younger version in his school days and was not over impressed.

In another topic I tried to compare the RSPB's growth with that of the ramblers and got shot down with a bit of short term thinking.  The strength their editorials is not the general message, but the repeated stories of individual species and not just in their own publications, but every where from the national press to local papers.

For instance, the largest lake on the Shropshire/Cheshire border (important because it is part of the geology of the last ice age) is in the middle of a Black Hole and the owner, an active member of the CLA) has collected awards for conservation, yet the part Combermere could play in the access of that area has never been allowed to flourish. The name Combermere sits very close to Hawkstone Park, in fact both areas could be visually connected by a walker, the latter was the home of Lord Hill, Wellinton's chief of staff and Lord Combermere was Wellingtons commander of cavalry. Both areas have memorials to those Generals. The current owner's ancestor bought the estate from wealth acquired through making profits from manufacturing lorries in WW1, yet wants to perpetuate the privileges left over from generations of Aristocracy before that period her family rose to wealth.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Andies

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 14:47:49, 01/12/20 »
Perhaps in these times of celebrity culture this may be a way of raising the profile of the issue. It would be interesting to know how deep the issue actually runs with the one hundred and to what extent they will pursue the issue going forward.
Like others I wouldn't expect much to come of it although I would like to think otherwise    :-\

windyrigg

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 09:10:46, 03/12/20 »
I'm afraid history teaches us there is not much to be expected from Conservatives (with large or small 'c' as applicable) in the way of Access / countryside legislation, designation of AONB's / National Parks, as well as Right to Roam.
Still, fox hunting with dogs is now illegal (I nearly said ' is no 'more'!), so the CLA / BASC / minor landed gentry lobby can be confronted and defeated. 

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 12:04:37, 03/12/20 »
Can history teach us something more? There was a Conservative influence in the Shire counties that had a strong following from the landowners of the time of corrupting influences on the DM, but if those wanting more access write off the the more subtle changes in the political scene. It might be possible to see that business that can benefit from access, could be turned against those, who try to use there influence to cling on to outdated privilege and honorifics.

BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy