Author Topic: Walking boots  (Read 2788 times)

Checks38

Re: Walking boots
« Reply #15 on: 15:06:00, 08/01/21 »
@Kinkyboots. First of all thanks for your recommendation at the end of what I would call a attack on me. You say I had not took anyone's advice for your information I asked on few forums looked at many reviews watched many videos. Spoke personally to prople that do hill walking. Spoke to 4 different people that own Salamon boots my son in law has had HAIX desert boots for 4 years and still loves them. I am at the moment thinking towards spring and summer as we are as far as I am concerned half way through winter and don't fancy warm Leather boots for Spring and Summer. If it works out I have already said to Wife we could buy leather boots for Autumn and Winter nearer end of year. I appreciate your love for Leather but no need to go off on one especially you hadn't even replied before I said what I had bought. I was only trying to do the right thing as fa's as I was concerned letting people know rather than looking up links to send me and me essentially wasting their time.
To everyone else thanks for your comments. Just never seen anyone do this on any forum I have been part of.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 15:23:50, 08/01/21 »
I Note Kinky boots boot weights are quoted per boot.

Really?  :o I must check!

To everyone else thanks for your comments. Just never seen anyone do this on any forum I have been part of.

That's what makes this forum so special  O0   And people like you who come back to say thankyou are always welcome, unlike the ill-mannered ones who are never heard of again, so we hope you will stick around.
« Last Edit: 15:27:23, 08/01/21 by fernman »

watershed

« Reply #17 on: 15:50:43, 08/01/21 »
Really?  :o I must check!

Weight 610 gms (size 42 half pair)

Half pair being the clue

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 16:01:36, 08/01/21 »
Just weighed my Altbergs, (well, not a lot to do in lockdown) 700gms each, size 7. That's not what I call lightweight, and why mine are in that gear cupboard full of expensive mistakes that never get worn.
Glad you came back Checks 38, we won't all shout at you. I think your idea of sticking with fabric boots for the summer is very reasonable, and you may find they are fine for winter too.
We all have our own ideas about boots. What I tend to do is read not just the boot threads but also try to pick up what kind of walking people who are offering advice do. I live in NW Scotland, so am probably looking for something different from someone who does most of their walking in the home counties. It sounds as though that is pretty much what you have done, and I hope you get up here to try out your new boots as soon as the current mess is over.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 16:19:20, 08/01/21 »
I Note Kinky boots boot weights are quoted per boot.

It just shows how out of touch you are with modern full leather boots. I'm glad to report that the days of the 70's and 80's when extremely heavy boots were the only boots of any kind available and the leather needed weeks or months of gradual breaking in or they crippled you are long gone.

To the best of my knowledge the weights I quote for Altberg boots are always weight per pair. Men's weight in UK Size 9 and Women's weight in UK Size 6.

As I posted earlier if your main priority is to have waterproof boots (even when the waterproof liner is damaged/punctured) which will last 5+ years you can't beat full leather boots provided you are willing to look after the leather.

By comparison leather/fabric combination boots can only be expected to last a maximum of between 6 - 24 months before they will need replacing and because of the way they're constructed the vast majority of leather/fabric combination boots cannot be resoled whilst the vast majority of full leather boots can. Some people accept this and are happy to accept the weight saving of leather/fabric combination boots and replace their boots frequently whilst others are not. If you want best value for money full leather is the way to go.

Lightweight leather/fabric combination boots do have their place in the market but it's not for regular wet weather walking on difficult terrain. The problem with all of them is that the waterproof liner will fail at some point rendering the boots totally useless for all wet weather walking. The small panels, large amount of stitching and lack of abrasion resistant fabric on them is their achilles heel. That waterproof liner failure can happen as little as 6 months or even earlier from the date of purchase.

@Kinkyboots. First of all thanks for your recommendation at the end of what I would call a attack on me. You say I had not took anyone's advice for your information I asked on few forums looked at many reviews watched many videos. Spoke personally to prople that do hill walking. Spoke to 4 different people that own Salamon boots my son in law has had HAIX desert boots for 4 years and still loves them. I am at the moment thinking towards spring and summer as we are as far as I am concerned half way through winter and don't fancy warm Leather boots for Spring and Summer. If it works out I have already said to Wife we could buy leather boots for Autumn and Winter nearer end of year. I appreciate your love for Leather but no need to go off on one especially you hadn't even replied before I said what I had bought. I was only trying to do the right thing as fa's as I was concerned letting people know rather than looking up links to send me and me essentially wasting their time.

I'm sorry you think it was an attack on you it was not meant to be. It was simply my personal opinion and advice on your boot choices given your original specification which you are free to take on board or to ignore along with the rest. I hope your boot choices work out for your intended use.

It's no excuse but please understand and appreciate that this forum does seem to get more than it's fair share of one-post wonders, time wasters and spammers which is why I didn't want to waste my time replying before your second post.

watershed

« Reply #20 on: 16:45:02, 08/01/21 »
It just shows how out of touch you are with modern full leather boots. I'm glad to report that the days of the 70's and 80's when extremely heavy boots were the only boots of any kind available and the leather needed weeks or months of gradual breaking in or they crippled you are long gone.

To the best of my knowledge the weights I quote for Altberg boots are always weight per pair. Men's weight in UK Size 9 and Women's weight in UK Size 6.

Thats true Kinkyboots,

but the links for the cheaper boots you sent were for weight for a half pair, ie one Boot. O0

lets be honest though anyone who has graduated on to lighter fabric boots would find any thing over 1000g per pair as excessive!

Maybe I am hard on my boots, but I am sure that leather boots wouldn't last me 5 plus years. that would be over 7000 miles

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 17:19:04, 08/01/21 »
but the links for the cheaper boots you sent were for weight for a half pair, ie one Boot.  O0

Mystic Meg has now managed to work out what the link is you are referring to.  ;D

For the benefit of others (including fernman) it's the Anatom Q3 Braeriach not the Altberg boots at all.

https://www.summits.co.uk/product/anatom-mens-q3-braeriach-hiking-boots/

For the record by today's standards 1220g per pair in UK Size 8 is lightweight for a full leather 3 season boot.

Maybe I am hard on my boots, but I am sure that leather boots wouldn't last me 5 plus years. that would be over 7000 miles

They would if you looked after the leather properly and had them resoled when needed.
« Last Edit: 17:22:40, 08/01/21 by kinkyboots »

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 17:32:51, 08/01/21 »
Longevity is much more to do with mileage than age. My Altbergs are well over 5 years old, but have only done about 500 miles if that. I've got a pair of slightly leaky Scarpas which are probably up round the 1500 miles, think I have had them about 3 years.  But I walk in trainers most of the summer, and they do far more mileage.
I remember once reading that a pair of boots should last about 1500 miles, 2000 if you are lucky. How long that takes depends on the owner and the size of their boot collection.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 17:44:02, 08/01/21 »
Longevity is much more to do with mileage than age. My Altbergs are well over 5 years old, but have only done about 500 miles if that. I've got a pair of slightly leaky Scarpas which are probably up round the 1500 miles, think I have had them about 3 years.  But I walk in trainers most of the summer, and they do far more mileage.
I remember once reading that a pair of boots should last about 1500 miles, 2000 if you are lucky. How long that takes depends on the owner and the size of their boot collection.

This is the point where ninthace used to earn his corn and his expertise is sorely missed.

watershed

« Reply #24 on: 18:10:51, 08/01/21 »

https://www.summits.co.uk/product/anatom-mens-q3-braeriach-hiking-boots/

For the record by today's standards 1220g per pair in UK Size 8 is lightweight for a full leather 3 season boot.

Correct, they are!

That's why I have moved on to better hiking boots O0

By the way glad you apologised to Check38 it was warranted.
And yes you were correct "its no excuse"
« Last Edit: 18:14:30, 08/01/21 by watershed »

Checks38

« Reply #25 on: 09:40:03, 09/01/21 »
Glad you came back Checks 38, we won't all shout at you. I think your idea of sticking with fabric boots for the summer is very reasonable, and you may find they are fine for winter too.
Thanks for that. 👍
I won't be posting a lot as I can't offer to much in the way of knowledge probably asking more questions than posting to help others. But if you guys would be OK with me asking and hopefully one day with experience behind me I can reply to people if I think I can help.

tomjackliam

« Reply #26 on: 15:45:35, 16/01/21 »
I really understand why the OP has posted their question as getting the right boot is definitely a nightmare.
Way way back I brought a pair of Zamberlan Ibex boots and after using them several times decided they were the wrong size and put them away in a cupboard literally for years. I replaced them with a pair of Merrell boots and again the sizing was a bit iffy but as they were lighter they were my boot of choice for some time.
Running Cycling Triathlons replaced walking until last year when I rediscovered my love of walking so both the Zamberlan & Merrell boots were brought back out from the back of the cupboard.
Even using thicker socks the Zamberlan still feel a bit big so my boots of choice are once again the Merrell's.
But all that said as I think other responders or at least one has suggested getting a correct boot fitting rather than buying on line. But even before Covid this was almost impossible for most of us so it will be even more difficult now.
Given this would anyone know of a good method to determine your correct foot size. I have seen on line an idea of drawing an outline of your foot on  sheet of paper and using that measurement but is this precise enough ! All advice and opinions would be welcomed. Thanks
Just found Kinky Boots link to YouTube re boots fittings so well done KB before you lambast me for asking my question 🤣🤣
« Last Edit: 15:50:56, 16/01/21 by tomjackliam »

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 16:06:16, 16/01/21 »
Boot fitting for hiking is a bit different to getting properly fitted for office shoes.

Based on thus forums advice I rang around several stores to see if they had properly trained fitters, in this area, only Black's did.I rang the shop up re a fitting she came on the phone and offered me a late afternoon fitting and advised me to wear all the socks I would normally wear whilst out on the moors.
She also asked me to try and be walking for a couple of hours at least before I came into the shop.
Once there she explained about feet swelling after being on them for a while, though she did say it affected people differently from a lot to hardly noticeable. She was proud of her own walking achievements which were many. So she set to and I was astonished to find my feet were a full size bigger than  I thought them to be. The boots I bought were so comfortable from the off. The pity is that the company decided to drop that model or I would have bought more of the same.  That young lady left Blacks not long after and went working full time as a mountain guide in northern Italy. They didn't get anyone else trained. Needless to say I have not bought any more boots from Black's.

Of interest she didn't just measure length and width, but also height from floor to top of foot, checked my gait and advised which replacement I soles would not be good in the boots of my choice, luckily my superfeet greens ticked the boxes. Also she showed three different ways to lace the boots up for different conditions.

Too little, too late, too bad......

tomjackliam

« Reply #28 on: 16:51:02, 16/01/21 »
Boot fitting for hiking is a bit different to getting properly fitted for office shoes.

Based on thus forums advice I rang around several stores to see if they had properly trained fitters, in this area, only Black's did.I rang the shop up re a fitting she came on the phone and offered me a late afternoon fitting and advised me to wear all the socks I would normally wear whilst out on the moors.
She also asked me to try and be walking for a couple of hours at least before I came into the shop.
Once there she explained about feet swelling after being on them for a while, though she did say it affected people differently from a lot to hardly noticeable. She was proud of her own walking achievements which were many. So she set to and I was astonished to find my feet were a full size bigger than  I thought them to be. The boots I bought were so comfortable from the off. The pity is that the company decided to drop that model or I would have bought more of the same.  That young lady left Blacks not long after and went working full time as a mountain guide in northern Italy. They didn't get anyone else trained. Needless to say I have not bought any more boots from Black's.

Of interest she didn't just measure length and width, but also height from floor to top of foot, checked my gait and advised which replacement I soles would not be good in the boots of my choice, luckily my superfeet greens ticked the boxes. Also she showed three different ways to lace the boots up for different conditions.
Thats interesting jimbob . As advised by KinkyBoots in another thread I have just watched the two videos he recommends with regards to getting a boot fitting and they are very good. Even more interesting is that the iffy sized boots I mentioned are the sizes they recommend 9 - 9.5 . Now given your experiences I am wondering about the other factors with regards to the size of your feet. I  also saw a thread in which gunwharfman mentions that he has boots which are specifically designed for women so its left me wondering whether I too have shallower feet than I should have. Yes getting the right boot size can be a pain both literally and metaphorically. Thanks for replying.

Pomster

« Reply #29 on: 17:23:58, 17/01/21 »
I purchased some new boots Altbergs not to long ago, the advise i recieved from members here was very helpful.
But i must give credit to Kinkyboots, not only was his knowledge, advise and recommendations helpful but they was also bang on the money.  O0

Your mind is like a parachute, it works better when open

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy