Author Topic: Oops she did it again  (Read 2352 times)

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
Re: Oops she did it again
« Reply #30 on: 14:54:58, 14/11/20 »
...as opposed to the right to roam working well in Scotland?  ;)

Not what I am saying. Just common sense really.  You can have right to roam without people walking through peoples houses and gardens.  Anyway I'm out, cannot be arsed with nitpicking.

Andies

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 15:03:01, 14/11/20 »
The back garden question often gets raised when discussing access and is an emotive issue that is used by many of those opposed to rights of way and access generally such as the CLA. Makes me wonder if the forum has been infiltrated by some CLA members  :D

But seriously no reasonable walker will want to walk through someone's garden just for the sake of it. The system allows for diversions to be introduced by order of the ROW department, and surely any concerned landowner in the scenario of a garden ROW could and would pursue this option. Notwithstanding my views on access and lost ways I don't feel comfortable walking on ROW through gardens or farm yards. That said some landowners have done nothing to have ROW diverted in these circumstances so presumably they've not bothered. There was one such ROW in the next village that ran right through a farm yard and beside the farmhouse back door. The landowner loved the confrontation it caused and let his dog chase walkers. I know as it bit me on one occasion! I think it was also his way of discouraging walkers and it worked as Mrs A refused to return that way again for years after his dog bit me. The old landowner is long gone now and the son runs things. He is a more reasonable chap and once in charge applied for a sensible division around the farm yard and house. As a part of the deal he also designated an additional ROW on his land in return. That said it was an obvious lost way that should have been on the definitive map anyway. So I don't really think the back garden issue is really a problem unless people on either side of the argument want it to be?

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 15:13:04, 14/11/20 »
I know of a ROW that goes through someones garden and at times have geese roaming . The problem is the geese can escape over the top of the stiles , so when they are occupy the garden , the owner drops branches across the tops of the stiles.

The last time I walked through it the owner asked if I would kindly place the branches back in place once I had climbed over . He was tending to his runner beans . :)
Sorry not trying to derail this thread ..but gardens were mentioned more than once & I happen to admire the owners garden .
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 15:47:21, 14/11/20 »
The back garden question often gets raised when discussing access and is an emotive issue that is used by many of those opposed to rights of way and access generally such as the CLA. Makes me wonder if the forum has been infiltrated by some CLA members  :D

But surely the back garden question is irrelevant anyway?

Although it's often introduced as a red herring, the Right to Roam in Scotland does not include the right to roam through people's gardens.

Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

Andies

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 16:05:04, 14/11/20 »
But surely the back garden question is irrelevant anyway?

Although it's often introduced as a red herring, the Right to Roam in Scotland does not include the right to roam through people's gardens.

Totally agree as per the conclusion to my post from which you quoted above. Namely:
So I don't really think the back garden issue is really a problem unless people on either side of the argument want it to be?

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 16:17:56, 14/11/20 »
Apologies if I missed something. I rarely manage to get to the end of very long paragraphs...  ;)
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

Andies

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 16:26:31, 14/11/20 »
Apologies if I missed something. I rarely manage to get to the end of very long paragraphs...  ;)
No need to apologise, and yes it was à long one  :-[

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy