Author Topic: Rugged Mobile Phone For Folk Like Us  (Read 1405 times)

myxpyr

Rugged Mobile Phone For Folk Like Us
« on: 21:08:40, 25/10/19 »
Must admit I get a bit paranoid about the vulnerability of my phone when I'm out on the hills. Seeing as they are ALMOST an indispensible piece of kit nowadays(emergencies etc) the thought of getting mine smashed by even a knock or short distance drop horrifies me.
Has anyone got any recommendation for a rugged smart phone?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Rugged Mobile Phone For Folk Like Us
« Reply #1 on: 21:13:56, 25/10/19 »
I just keep my ordinary phone in a rugged leather look case.
Solvitur Ambulando

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:22:08, 25/10/19 »
Similar here.  Mine has a notebook style cover but lives in a waterproof pouch in my rucksack if I'm out walking so I guess the chances of me dropping it are pretty slim.

Stube

« Reply #3 on: 14:55:14, 26/10/19 »
I have a Samsung Xcover 4. It claims to be waterproof and dropproof, but more importantly the batteries are easily replaceable - so you can take a spare or two on long walks - much lighter than  a power bank. On max power saving (not aircraft mode) I can get a week's light useage out of one battery.
I keep it in a notebook style leather case for extra abuse protection!

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 15:57:03, 26/10/19 »
Have you looked at the Coolden and Spigen tough phone cases on Amazon?

Mr Careful here, I've never dropped my smartphone in the nearly three years since I was given it.
I remove it from its case when I'm on multiple-day walks, saves 60g weight, and slide it inside my stormproof camera case on my waist strap.
But I'm well aware that if I stumble and fall against the pouch it'll likely break the phone.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 16:12:27, 26/10/19 »
When it's dry my phone is on a cell phone lanyard (from Amazon £8) always attached to my body. I also have a waterproof pouch which on wet days my fingers can work the phone through the see through cover.

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 16:46:57, 26/10/19 »
There's always the Blackview BV 6000. An incredibly tough phone and fully waterproof, big screen and a big 4500mA battery.  I think it's actually aimed at the building trade. Have a look on youtube at some of the 'tests' that have been done. A bit silly but pretty impressive all the same.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZDDGG0ehaw

taxino8

« Reply #7 on: 18:28:36, 26/10/19 »

I use one of these.
I’ve tested it in the bath with some tissue paper inside instead of my phone and it stays bone dry.
It’s also fairly resistant to drops and knocks.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07PKPLTXL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 08:55:37, 27/10/19 »
'iThrough iPhone 5s 5 SE Waterproof Case, iPhone 5 5S SE' - copied from the Amazon advert.

I just had a look, how in heavens name is a mere mortal supposed to understand such words?

Dread

« Reply #9 on: 11:08:46, 27/10/19 »
Hazarding a guess, I would say that it is a waterproof case for the iPhone 5, iPhone 5s or iPhone SE made by a reputable Chinese company called iThrough. Might be wrong.

myxpyr

« Reply #10 on: 15:03:00, 27/10/19 »
Everything I look at seems to relate to iPhone. Mine's a Samsung Galaxy J7 :-\

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 17:18:57, 27/10/19 »
I just ran “Samsung J7 Rugged Case” through DuckDuckGo. There were a lot of hits on Amazon plus  https://wonderfulengineering.com/10-best-cases-for-samsung-galaxy-j7-2018/
Solvitur Ambulando

myxpyr

« Reply #12 on: 18:54:48, 27/10/19 »
I just ran “Samsung J7 Rugged Case” through DuckDuckGo. There were a lot of hits on Amazon plus https://wonderfulengineering.com/10-best-cases-for-samsung-galaxy-j7-2018/
Thanks, I'll give it a try

WILDWALKINGUK

« Reply #13 on: 08:21:51, 01/11/19 »
I've been using the Tough Phone Defender Pro for over 3 years now. It's waterproof, has a good camera, independent GPS and holds all the OS mapping for the Uk. Extremely helpful when I changed my LEJOG route, earlier this year. It's nice to carry just one devise instead of three.
The phone has been with me on The Cape Wrath Trail, TGO Challenge and my 1200 mile LEJOG and 3 peaks walk. I recommend it but it is slightly larger and heavier than some phones.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy