Author Topic: Night Camera Traps  (Read 4299 times)

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Re: Night Camera Traps
« Reply #15 on: 09:09:22, 14/01/21 »
 CWP, do the boxes encourage  the small birds to nest?
We have a growing population of peregrines and Magpies. And our population of small birds is noticeably decreasing in the last 5 years. We used to see so many finches and sparrows. Even the tree rats, (pigeons) are in decline due to the Magpies and their egg eating appetites.
Too little, too late, too bad......

cornwallcoastpathdweller

« Reply #16 on: 11:02:38, 14/01/21 »
CWP, do the boxes encourage  the small birds to nest?
We have a growing population of peregrines and Magpies. And our population of small birds is noticeably decreasing in the last 5 years. We used to see so many finches and sparrows. Even the tree rats, (pigeons) are in decline due to the Magpies and their egg eating appetites.

They certainly do Jimbob, we had 23 sets of sparrows nest last year.  We dont get too many tits (steady) or small birds here as im right on the clifftop and i dont think they enjoy the wind or the lack of trees, but sparrows are in abundance, as well as the annoying seagulls.  I drill my entrance holes at 30mm, so a bit big for the smaller tits who prefer 25mm but a happy size for what we have here. 

See a few kestrals hovering over the cliffs, they tend to take the rabbits which we also see a lot of.
one step then another then another then a bench - please?

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 11:34:23, 14/01/21 »
i shall have a look at those later, i have a couple of camera boxes in my garden also, they are brilliant. Great watching the way the blue tits get rid of the 'waste' they create in little parcels, clever creatures they are.

One of my time fillers during shielding lockdown has been making normal birdboxes, i have 37 up in the garden at the moment which have attracted flocks of sparrows, but have given twice that number away. 

I need Boris to let me out soon!

Wow, 37 boxes! Anyway, yes nestcams are great! Who needs Netflix!
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 15:40:47, 14/01/21 »

Wow, 37 boxes! Anyway, yes nestcams are great! Who needs Netflix!

I read that as Nestflix  ;D
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

cornwallcoastpathdweller

« Reply #19 on: 17:18:43, 14/01/21 »

I read that as Nestflix  ;D
O0
one step then another then another then a bench - please?

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 17:46:46, 14/01/21 »
Thinking of trying one of these - we are urban but back onto a large area of gardens/marl pits/semi woodland and get a lot of night visitors - would love to see what goes on.  Does anyone have any recommendations of models?

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 18:07:18, 14/01/21 »
I have seen a badger once in our communal garden in the middle of the city (but bordering a big park). I'm curious if they are still around. Also like to know if there are still hedgehogs. Foxes are common of course. I also get Tawny Owls in our garden. It would be really cool to capture one with a night cam if it catches a mouse in the grass. I need a trailcam Cheesy
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

MarkT

« Reply #22 on: 22:01:42, 14/01/21 »
The camera I was given is a USogood TC30 Trail Camera. I can't compare it to anything else but have found it very easy to use. Option of pictures only, video only or pictures and videos. Am able to take 3 photo's then a video recording, with variable lengths of recording. Lots of other features like shot lag, the time the camera rests before taking more photos or videos. You can also set it up to take a picture at the same time every day so you can take pictures of flowers/plants growing. It also has an easy to use interface with sturdy buttons.

However I have an issue with the clock on mine, so am sending back. Don't know if this is a common fault or unlucky but apart from that I love it but there are plenty of others available with various different qualities. I passed quite a bit of lockdown reading about them.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wildlife-Activated-Waterproof-Scouting-Surveillance/dp/B081Q7HS64

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 22:48:47, 14/01/21 »
Cheers MarkT - I will have a good look - some interesting things there - I like the sound of the daily picture it would be quite fascinating.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy