Author Topic: What size back pack for wild camping  (Read 5272 times)

Tony3789

What size back pack for wild camping
« on: 08:25:34, 23/03/21 »
Hi all

I am looking to purchase a backpack for wild camping  and was hoping to get some advice.

I want to be camping in both winter and summer and will have the dog with me on occasions. What size and backpack do you all recommend ? I like the look of the osprey ones .

Thanks
Tony

windyrigg

• Veteran Member
Re: What size back pack for wild camping
« Reply #1 on: 08:50:15, 23/03/21 »
Osprey make seriously good bags. I've used a 50l (old model Karrimor) bag for year round camps and longer multi day walks. It's possible to go with a smaller capacity (and possibly lighter) bag, but I find it easier to get a bag comfortable if its not stuffed full. Most (if not all) super-light bags have sacrificed some durability. I wouldn't buy a bag I hadn't tried on in the shop, we are all different and bags 'fit' or they don't. Apart from personal preferences like front zips / top loading / frames etc, key issues are that you are comfortable with the shoulder straps and most importantly the hip belt which takes most of the load.

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 08:51:28, 23/03/21 »
Osprey is a good reputable brand.

For overnight camping and short trips (two or three days on the hill) I get everything in an Osprey Talon 44 (volume approx 50 litres). But I'm pretty minimalist and I really pack stuff in. That's without carrying stuff on the outside of the pack except water (I don't use a bladder).

Have you searched WF for other relevant threads? This question comes up regularly.
Skip

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 08:58:33, 23/03/21 »
I use a 65 litre pack, an ancient Karrimor Jaguar. More than enough for summer wild camps, and commodious enough to take a bulky synthetic 4 season sleeping bag in winter.

My eldest son is planning his first long distance walk, and has just ordered an Osprey Rook, 65 litres, I think, for just over £100. If I were in the market for a new bag, I would get one myself - they have a good reputation.

As long as the rucksack will compress down nicely, there is no harm in getting a large bag, even if it might be slightly under filled in summer on one night trips, when you will be taking less gear.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 09:04:39, 23/03/21 »
What I would advise is to make a list of all the stuff that you will be carrying in the rucksack, and if possible gather it all together - might give you a better idea of how much capacity you will need.

But as I suggested earlier, no harm in being generous on pack size.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Tony3789

« Reply #5 on: 09:21:49, 23/03/21 »
Thanks for the reply’s I will have a quick search for the older threads. The osprey Talon looks a great bag although very expensive.

I think I will get all my gear together and try it in a few older rucksacks  I have in the loft this should give me a better idea of what size I need. I would rather buy once and compress the bag down for summer to save spending out twice so I think I will go on the bigger size of rucksacks.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 09:33:20, 23/03/21 »
My rucksack size is 48L, I have a 50L one as well. I've learned over time how to be minimal with my gear so I always have space to spare. But then again, to date, I have never taken kitchen equipment with me and I don't have a dog. If I did I still think my 48L and the 50L would still be spacious enough. Much I think also depends on what you plan to carry on the outside of your rucksack, my tent and a couple of other items are always secured to the outside of mine, if they were on the inside obviously my spare rucksack space would begin to disappear, but even if I planned it this way I'm sure that 50L is the maximum I would need to plan for. I think I would only think of the need for more space if I was going on a real winter trip. I'm also only 5' 6", weigh 70Kg and am 76 years old (soon) so a bigger rucksack I think would be unsuitable for me anyway.

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 09:35:22, 23/03/21 »
. . . Talon looks a great bag although very expensive.

List price from Osprey website seems to be £160. About £90 from several online discount retailers.

With packs you tend to get what you pay for.

Skip

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 09:51:33, 23/03/21 »
I have different packs for different seasons and scenarios, but I always use a somewhat bigger one for winter due to the extra insulation kit which is quite voluminous.

For capacity, on short solo trips I have a 40l, for winter solo trips (or summer when we go together and I carry most of the stuff) I have a 48l.

Trouble is, almost everything about a pack is highly personal and you can't be sure it suits you until you've carried it on the trail for several days. In the shop, the best you can do is eliminate the obvious losers.
I mainly use a Gossamer Gear Gorilla 40l and a Gregory Paragon 48l.

Osprey is a very divisive range. Some love them, as can be seen from recommendations on here, but I for one can't stand them: as I've said before, the ones I've tried have a large air gap between the pack and your back which makes them unstable and is very bad for posture. For me they just don't feel "right" even when stationary in a shop.
Occasional costly mistakes are part of the game!.

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 09:54:32, 23/03/21 »
Occasional costly mistakes are part of the game!.

Aint that the truth!  :-[
Skip

Patrick1

« Reply #10 on: 10:37:42, 23/03/21 »
I think I will get all my gear together and try it in a few older rucksacks  I have in the loft this should give me a better idea of what size I need. I would rather buy once and compress the bag down for summer to save spending out twice so I think I will go on the bigger size of rucksacks.
That's the only way to do it, really - everyone has different needs. I would say that getting one bag to cover winter and summer probably means you'll be getting something quite substantially bigger - and hence heavier - than you'll need most of the year. If budget won't stretch to two then worth just thinking about how often you'll really be heading out in snowstorms in the dead of winter. I'm very happy with my Osprey Exos 48 for 3 season backpacking trips with the family, when I always seem to end up carrying rather more than my fair share! When I go out on my own I usually take my Berghaus Fasthike 32, which is plenty of space for just me for a couple of nights.

Tony3789

« Reply #11 on: 12:00:45, 23/03/21 »
I am aiming to only take the bare essentials to enjoy the hiking and  not be carrying more weight than necessary. 

I Think my best bet will be to wait until the shops open and have a good look at the packs. I am starting to think smaller rather than bigger after all the reply’s.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 12:44:10, 23/03/21 »
My 48L rucksack is an Osprey 'with a gap' and I love it, it's the most comfortable and easy to carry bag that I know, sits so well on my shoulders. The gap for me is very useful, I can stuff my thin gloves into it when not in use and I stuff my rain skirt into it as well when that's not in use. I can then just pull them out when I need to, I don't even have to stop walking to do it either.

I'm always dubious about that 'you get what you pay for.' My £250 Paramo Alta 2 waterproof jacket is no better really than my £20 waterproof Champion jacket, it helped to change my view about that.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 16:25:07, 23/03/21 »
I am aiming to only take the bare essentials to enjoy the hiking and  not be carrying more weight than necessary. 

I Think my best bet will be to wait until the shops open and have a good look at the packs. I am starting to think smaller rather than bigger after all the reply’s.

Hi Tony,

I do 3-season camping with a 40L pack and it's brilliant to be so lightweight, as well as it looking almost like a large day pack if you intend to camp in some of the more 'legally questionable' parts of the country.  But be aware if you don't already have light/packable equipment then packing things away can be a real [censored], especially if it's raining or you're cold.  Having a bit of extra space for things like drinks, extra nice food, an extra layer and/or anything else is also a luxury which I don't get to enjoy unless I strap things to the outside.

I'd suggest anyone getting into overnight backpacking to go around the 55-60L mark, give yourself a bit more room and then you'll find that a synthetic sleeping bag will be fine, as will a decent tent and some extra food.  End of the day it's all about making it a fun experience isn't it?  Often I feel stripping it all back for minimum weight can be a bit spartan which isn't for everyone.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 16:33:41, 23/03/21 »
I use a 50L bag. I wouldn't want it any smaller for the kit I have (not high end stuff) and especially not for winter (where you need more clothes and thicker sleeping bag etc.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy