Author Topic: What size back pack for wild camping  (Read 5169 times)

Tony3789

Re: What size back pack for wild camping
« Reply #30 on: 17:55:49, 24/03/21 »
Hi thanks for all the help and advice I have managed to buy an osprey Talon 44 for £82.35 from cotswold outdoors which seems to be a good price for the rucksack.

If it’s not suitable I believe they have free returns at that price I couldn’t resist.

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 19:33:21, 24/03/21 »
Yeah, a reasonable price  :)

Please let us know how you get on with the Talon.
Skip

Tony3789

« Reply #32 on: 19:49:19, 24/03/21 »
Will do skip  O0

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 15:17:56, 25/03/21 »
I looked for the OEM chest pack online and couldn't find it, I presume they no longer market it? I ended up on the Alibaba site, so many models there under the heading of chest packs but I couldn't identify one that functioned in the way that my chest pack used to.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 16:48:49, 25/03/21 »
Do you mean OMM, gwm? OMM chest 'pod' widely available.

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/equipment-c3/rucksacks-c19/rucksack-accessories-c133/chest-pod-p9509
Oh, of course, yes OMM,  that's the one I use.
It's great for my maps and phone, medicines and fruitgums.
It's wasnt very watertight, as explained above it is now.   
Too little, too late, too bad......

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 17:19:04, 25/03/21 »
How large pack you should get really depends on your style. Some people do multi-day wild camps with something as small as a daypack.

Personally, I'm on the other end of the scale. I prefer relative long periods without need for resupply, because it gives me a better wilderness experience. Also, I don't want to go hungry and I often cross areas where water is scarce (I have often carried 6-8 litres - this is outside the UK obviously!). And, I like my comforts. My longest hike was 5 months and then it is nice to have your tent not too small.

So, my choice was an Osprey Aether 70. Even with massive weight it still carries comfortably. I'm not winning any hiking speed records, which is actually the whole point. Just enjoy my time in nature and no worries :)
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 19:02:34, 25/03/21 »
I'm not winning any hiking speed records, which is actually the whole point. Just enjoy my time in nature and no worries :)

O0 
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Tony3789

« Reply #38 on: 21:45:25, 30/03/21 »
Well I’ve just had a quick play with the Talon 44. At first when it arrived I was worried by the size however I’ve packed it with my essential kit. Not including food and spare clothes and I feel it seems almost perfect.

I can also utilise strapping my tent to the outside of the pack which don’t seem to make it unstable. Really pleased with it now for the field test hopefully in a few weeks......

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy