Author Topic: Ground conditions, best places to check?  (Read 1043 times)

FellBasher

Ground conditions, best places to check?
« on: 21:39:32, 07/04/19 »
Hi,

I regularly check the major weather sites including Met Office and MWIS but I'd like to know specifically what the ground conditions are like in any given area.  With the return of winter in the hills I'm keen to understand exactly what it's like up there, especially in the areas I'm less familiar with.

I'm planning to go walking next weekend and have the luxury of choosing what area I head to ie the Lakes (relatively close to me) or further afield to Wales or Scotland. I'd rather avoid the worst of any winter walking conditions but will of course take the necessary equipment with me and prepare for the conditions appropriately.

I'm sure there's some information out there, please point me in the right direction!

Thanks,
Jon

Owen

• Veteran Member
Re: Ground conditions, best places to check?
« Reply #1 on: 22:17:20, 07/04/19 »
For Scotland, if you go onto the SAIS website it will give you the avalanche state. If you then look at the blogs for each area they give you photos and an idea of conditions. This service is only available during the winter months.

Winterhighlands also has links to webcams.

Don't know about the Lakes or Wales.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 22:39:37, 07/04/19 »
I rely on looking at the lay of the land on the map and aerial imagery of the area in question coupled with watching the weather to work out what conditions I might encounter.  Sometimes it works. Experience counts for a lot but sometimes I am spectacularly wrong and conditions are either much better or far worse than expected.  The more visits you make to an area, the better your guesses become.
Trip reports may make reference to conditions but they would have to be recent.  National Park Rangers may be able to help you if you can contact or talk to one.  Tourist offices can sometimes be useful depending on location, the one by Haytor told me of a blocked bridge (didn't mention the ankle deep peat bog next to it though).
The other possibility is to have a look on the internet for descriptions of walks in the area in question - there may be reference there to the possibility of poor going in particular places.  If your planned route goes near a road, GoogleEarth Street View can sometimes give a hint what conditions may be like - I use it to look at the points where my route crosses a road and it has been helpful on occasion.
I am unaware of a website that would help though.

Solvitur Ambulando

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 23:11:01, 07/04/19 »
I know a lot of people don't use Facebook but if you do there is a group called "Ground Conditions in UK Mountain Areas" which is very useful. People post updates  after they've been and about and if you ask a question about a specific area, members often will answer if they have any local/recent info.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 07:44:43, 08/04/19 »
Others have helped with the ground conditions, but if you do decide on Scotland, and you intend going high, best to include some winter gear just in case. We were caught out by substantial fresh snow on An Teallach on 7th June one year!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

FellBasher

« Reply #5 on: 19:48:59, 09/04/19 »
Thank you for the replies and advice. It's certainly helped,

Regards
Jon

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 20:14:07, 09/04/19 »
I regularly check the cameras here....

https://www.thewhitespider.com/webcams

before setting off on walks.  There are many other cameras hiding away on the web too.  But I find this website has the best selection I have discovered so far.

taxino8

« Reply #7 on: 20:41:18, 09/04/19 »

This one is quite useful for a decent forecast.  

https://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Place-Fell/forecasts/657

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 20:51:01, 09/04/19 »
This one is quite useful for a decent forecast.

Excellent link for my bookmarks thank you.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy