Author Topic: TENERIFE  (Read 5423 times)

digate

TENERIFE
« on: 15:44:10, 24/03/09 »
Hi everyone, just found your forum, I have lived in Tenerife for 17 years, started walking abot 18 months ago, great walking over here, coastal, forestal or mountainous and of course if you are a fine weather walker like me, then it's not a problem anytime of the year!  Always willing to advise if anyone is thinking of coming over.
http://tengate.blogspot.com/ [nofollow]  - About Rural Tenerife

darksky

• Veteran Member
Re: TENERIFE
« Reply #1 on: 16:18:44, 24/03/09 »
Hello digate and welcome to this site. Ive not long been back from Teneriffe of which i thought was stunning as it was my 1st time there, I am going back there in a few months to climb mount Teide !  have you climbed this mountain?
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

digate

« Reply #2 on: 19:10:54, 24/03/09 »
Hi DarkSky,

Glad that you enjoyed Tenerife and want to come back. Yes i have been to the top of Mount Tiede, but in the good old days before Health & Safety when you could get the cable car up the station then it was about 11/2 hrs steep hard climb/walk to the crater.
Now days you can only get the cable car to the station. If you want to go to the top you have to get permission. You can either go to the station and walk up or you can climb from the foot, there is a refuge part the way up ( a little stone building) to stop at. I know several people who have done it.
You can get permission to go up on line, I will try and find the link for you.
Hope this helps.  Enjoy.

digate

« Reply #3 on: 19:18:26, 24/03/09 »
Hi DarkSky,
Just found the infor on Climbing to Mount Teide summit:-

Summit permits (free) are obtainable in person from :-
ICONA
Office P. N. de Teide,
Calle Emillio Calzadilla 5
38002 Santa Cruz de Tenerife
Phone 922 29 01 29 or 922 29 01 83
Opening hours (Monday to Friday except public holidays) 9 am to 2 pm
You can now also obtain this permit by fax or Email minimum 8 days in
advance. Fax 922244788   Email [email protected] [nofollow]
For further info phone 922290129

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:40:52, 24/03/09 »
Thankyou digate !  i applied for the permitts whilst i was there but as yet still not heard anything. The information that you posted for me will be a great help as i will get onto them tomorrow, much appreiciated. from what ive learnt about mt Teide and that you need the permitts to climb the last 4000 FEET. What do you know about wild camping up there somewhere hidden maybe?  as i will want to at least spend the night up there .
« Last Edit: 10:40:12, 25/03/09 by darksky »
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

Ian s

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:43:12, 25/03/09 »
Strictly speaking camping is prohibited within the bounds of the Las Canadas National Park which includes Teide, except in recognised campgrounds. However, a bivvi out would be theoretically possible, if illegal! the main problems would be water (there is very little surface water anywhere) and fire risk.

There are campgrounds, mainly in the forests on the lower slopes. They are not usually busy with campers, but at weekends some of them fill up with barbecueing families. You need a (free) permit from Icona to use them.

Link to a list:
http://www.tenerifehiking.com/camping-in-tenerife/

I used to like the ones up above Villaflor in the forest. At least with the campgrounds you have a water source. That's a really big issue.

I 've spent a lot of time on Tenerife, lovely place once you get away from the resorts.

Ian
www.mountainfreedom.co.uk - Guided walking, scrambling and mountain skills throughout Scotland and further afield

videoman

« Reply #6 on: 09:48:07, 25/03/09 »
I've also been living in Tenerife for the last two and a half years and started walking here approx 16 months ago. My regular walking partner is Gary who runs a walking business here in Tenerife and we have had some great walks around Tenerife.

digate

« Reply #7 on: 10:03:28, 25/03/09 »
If you click onto the link in my signatue you will find an useful link to the camp sites.

Hope that this is useful

digate

« Reply #8 on: 10:16:14, 25/03/09 »
The recreation zone in El Contador, I know very well as a live about 20 mins from it and use it a lot.
From there you can walk right up to the top of Tiede (not that I have done), the forestall paths through the forest all seem to link up.
El Contador has a good road up to it, although narrow!! and is about 7 km's from Villa de Arico where the road starts.
On the way you will see an even smaller road on the right which takes you to the famous rock climbing faces of Arico.
When you get there you will find BBQ areas, shower and toilet block. There is a warden there most days, you need to get permission to camp. There is running water but it is not drinkable, so you need to take your own drinking water.
There used to be a log pile for the BB Q's but since the forest fire, it is not stocked any more, so you either need to take your own or scrounge the surrounding area.

White Horse Walker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 10:44:53, 25/03/09 »
Hi digate,

Sounds like a nice life.  :)
I'm thinking of going to La Gomera, have you walked there?
~
Sue

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 10:45:24, 25/03/09 »
ALL very usefull posts..,Thankyou guys !  The bits i have read up on , on mt Teide hasnt been as helpfull as hearing it from folk who have been there...nice 1 lads !

muymalestado

« Reply #11 on: 11:51:32, 25/03/09 »
... I'm thinking of going to La Gomera, have you walked there?

Can confirm that La Gomera is wonderful for walking - always noting we're in our dotage and don't camp anymore.  Can I say that again?  It is wonderful for walking.

1st visit was a circumwalkination from San Seb north  to Valle Hermigua/Agulo, up & over to Vallehermoso, up & over to Chipude, down to Valle Gran Rey, up to Chipude again, over & down to Alajero, down to Playa, along to San Seb.  With non-walk/short-walk days in between, eg. Garajonay, Benchijigua.  2nd visit repeated some legs and did new ones.

Our starting point (as is our norm) for planning was the Sunflower guide.  Check Cicerone.

Don't miss La Palma, nor Gran Canaria.  Scotland with sunshine and with more closely spaced bars.

Get there quick, before they become overcrowded.

Back to OP; google will show plenty of experiences of Tiede, like up to refugio in the afternoon and early morning final assault and return.
I think this next one will be the top ...

White Horse Walker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 11:13:32, 26/03/09 »
Can confirm that La Gomera is wonderful for walking - always noting we're in our dotage and don't camp anymore.  Can I say that again?  It is wonderful for walking.

I don't do camping either - sounds great, might well get there this winter. 
~
Sue

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy