Author Topic: GR221 - Ruta de Pedra en Sec, Mallorca  (Read 8018 times)

Muz

GR221 - Ruta de Pedra en Sec, Mallorca
« on: 21:37:41, 16/05/09 »

I'm off to my litte hideaway two weeks today for three whole weeks this time - and I intend to do all of the newly restored GR221 on this visit. I know bits of it like the back of my hand (as it is a part-access route to some of my favourite mountains) but the bits down in the south west near Andraitx and past the island of Dragonera to Deia and Valdemossa I don't know so well. Soller to Pollenca is my normal stomping ground.

It will be a little hotter than I'd prefer as I'm going a few weeks later than usual (May is my preferred walking month), but luckily, no-one has invented scratch'n'sniff web pages for when I post some sweaty photos of me hacking up the Barranc de Biniaraix to the Col d'Ofre on my return at the end of June!

Anyone know the bits down in the SW?  I have a number of excellent books so I should be alright - and there will be little chance of me getting lost in cloud in June! But any tips welcome. Senor Muymalestado, quizas?

More later (with a tan!)

Murray
Love many, trust few, and always paddle your own canoe

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
Re: GR221 - Ruta de Pedra en Sec, Mallorca
« Reply #1 on: 08:47:43, 17/05/09 »
Lucky you - I stayed in Deia a few years ago and loved the mountains up around there. Absolutely stunning in places, and yet down on the coast a completely different world.

muymalestado

« Reply #2 on: 11:24:07, 17/05/09 »
... Anyone know the bits down in the SW?  I have a number of excellent books so I should be alright - and there will be little chance of me getting lost in cloud in June! But any tips welcome. Senor Muymalestado, quizas? ...

Been 12 years since our last.  The first was when June Parker brought out her Cicerone guide, but gates were locked and fences were put up too fast to keep up with.  Moved on to the Peninsula and the Canaries.

In the SW the last hill done was Galatzo, easy with great views AND howling snowstorm at the top.  The Archidukes Road, quite good.
I think this next one will be the top ...

Muz

« Reply #3 on: 12:34:30, 17/05/09 »
The contrast is amazing isn't it, Pete? I always chuckle when I see the "football shirt and bevvy squad" at the airport when I arrive and leave - knowing I won't see them at all in between! It's annoying getting stuck behind a busload of them on their way to Lluc or Sa Calobra on their excursions when I'm driving about though!

And thanks muymalestado. There has been more than a few positive changes since you were last there, with the Consell de Mallorca actually passing laws to preserve both the GR221 and GR222 (Inca-Arta) routes - and buying up land and fincas for conversion to refugios. There is now only one access problem on the route up to Cornadors and the Alfabia ridge from Soller (which is not actually on the core route) - but they have diverted the path around the awkward landowner's possessio through the Cases d'Ofre instead.

Mountain-wise, Puig Roig at the Possessio de Mossa is only possible on a Sunday as the landowner is supposedly a bit touchy, but I made the effort to greet him in Mallorquin one day and he was actually very friendly - and told me I'd be welcome to pass through anytime. I don't think he has an issue with proper walkers who don't take dogs, shut gates behind them, take all their rubbish home and don't disturb his animals. He does have the 2 fiercest dogs I've ever seen however!

Puig Gros de Ternelles is a bit more difficult (from the Ternelles valley side) as it passes through the March family lands (of Banca March fame) - and they are understandably nervous about access after the kidnapping incident a few years ago which you probably heard about. However, you can get to it from the western side up the Cami d'Ariant so again that can still be done.

The miserable old sod at Col de Sa Batalla still charges 5 euros to walk through his land on the 'tourist path' to Massanella from the petrol station (the Lluc side) supposedly for 'path maintenance' - although I've never seen any evidence of the money he collects being spent on the path in all the times I've been. I just avoid him by going from the south side (from Mancor de la Vall) where the owner there is much more friendly or via the newly restored path up over the Col de sa Neu at Puig Galileu. Both are much nicer routes to Massanella anyway.

Everything else is alright as far as I'm aware - although I'm sure I may have a disappointment or two next month. But there has been a marked improvement in recent years - as the Consell de Mallorca realise what a potential tourist earner walking holidays to the island are.

All 51 'miles' (peaks over 1000m for the rest of you!) are accessible except for Puig Mayor - although the military do allow ascents on a number of advertised days per year.

I used to curse June Parker as some of her routes were terrible, and once my language skills had improved I moved on to Luis Vallcaneras' books in the local lingo instead which are far better. There's a Castellano one by a bloke who revels in the name of Jaume Walker which I'd also recommend. June Parker died a few years ago but the book has recently been updated by someone else - although I have no use for it anymore personally and haven't seen the new version.

All in all, perhaps it's time you considered revisiting one of these days - I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.  :)

And finally - a snowstorm on Galatzo eh? I doubt I'll get one of those in June! And the Cami d'Arxiduc is indeed very nice - although it is a bit busy (with Germans) in the high season. I only tend to use it to get to Teix and Sa Galera - although the detour to the little viewpoint by Sa Foradora is delightful.

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 12:49:23, 17/05/09 »
Muz - you've tempted me back there again now. I'll post a picture or two of the mountains when I get back Tuesday.

Yomper

• Account Closed
« Reply #5 on: 13:23:09, 17/05/09 »
Went to Cala Mayor in '81  ::)

Not been back since

Is it true you have to pay a 'tourist tax' on entering the island ?

Muz

« Reply #6 on: 14:49:29, 17/05/09 »
I'd recommend it Pete - and here's a pic or two to whet your appetite in the meantime  :)

Puig Mayor, Sa Rateta and the Tossals Group from L'Ofre (above Soller)

My village (Campanet) with Massanella behind

The ancient canaleta de Massanella with Puig D'en Ali (conical) behind

Sunset over the Tramuntana Mountains (from the summit of Massanella)

Puig de Col de Jou (and Cases d'Ofre)

Me checking my foot placement! (Big drop behind!)

And Yomper - not any more - that was just a political tax that only lasted a few years - I'm afraid there's a righter wing government now but on the plus side, the environmental tax has been done away with.  Now you're back in the world of employment, how about considering going back?  ;)

Yomper

• Account Closed
« Reply #7 on: 14:50:53, 17/05/09 »
If FREE accomodation was offered I may consider it  ::) ::) ::)

Very cheeky me  :2funny:

Muz

« Reply #8 on: 14:58:20, 17/05/09 »
Well, until I know you a bit better I'd have to be there at the same time - but in principle, yes!

Yomper

• Account Closed
« Reply #9 on: 15:14:21, 17/05/09 »
Room for 3 ?

Me, Mrs.yomper & baby yomper  :)

I fancy a yomp in those mountains  :D

Mrs. yomper is already looking into holiday destinations  ::)

Muz

« Reply #10 on: 15:49:59, 17/05/09 »
sleeps 6 - 2 doubles and a twin. But there's an open staircase up the side of the living room so it's not very baby/toddler-friendly. Also not much to do for non-walkers - it's a 20 min drive to the nearest beach and there's nothing to do in the village - there's one small shop and a bar with a bead curtain, normally occupied by elderly gentlemen watching football on a small tv on the wall! Typical Spain though - the village has TWO churches!

Yomper

• Account Closed
« Reply #11 on: 16:01:22, 17/05/09 »
May have to kibosh that idea then  ::)

Mrs. yomper wants a beach in strolling distance  :-\

Never mind, thanks anyway  :)

Muz

« Reply #12 on: 17:47:18, 17/05/09 »
I thought that might be a factor  ::)

Muz

« Reply #13 on: 22:55:55, 18/05/09 »

Formentor peninsula. (Click on pic for full view!)

Surely Mrs Yomper could stroll down to the seaside from here?!!  ;)

Muz

« Reply #14 on: 08:51:52, 30/05/09 »
That's me off today  :D 

Three weeks of perfect hillwalking weather, hopefully, so no excuses for not getting my walks done!

I'll post some nice pics and some route reports when I'm back at the end of June. (There is a strict no internet policy when I'm in Mallorca!!)

Bye Bye!!  :D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy