Author Topic: TR - 31st May - Another Howgills wander  (Read 5504 times)

karl h

• Veteran Member
TR - 31st May - Another Howgills wander
« on: 16:24:03, 01/06/20 »
Another visit to the Howgills today and unlike last week when there was a cooling breeze today was very warm with no wind to speak of.
I arrived quite early so there was no problem parking on the rough ground just after the bridge and from the road it's literally minutes to the lovely little valley of Carlin Gill. Grains Gill and Weasel Gill are concealed in the deep gullies in the hillside ahead.
With the water so low it was easy following the gill, whenever I thought the path looked a bit rough I simply crossed over, I must have done this five or six times as I progressed along the valley.
After not too long the wooded ravine is reached where the path takes a higher line on the north side.
The path is a little narrow and exposed in places but nothing too bad.
After the wooded section you reach Black force. I had intended to climb out of the valley here on the steep path to the left of the falls but I was enjoying rock hopping along the valley so much that I carried on towards the Spout.
And here is the Spout. I had read that there is a thin path up on the left which keeps mainly to the steep grass so I decided to give it a try.
And it was quite steep !
Despite the exposure I found the path to be ok and was soon following the gill onwards.
The valley is left at the big flat amphitheatre of Blakethwaite Bottom which I thought was a great place and could just imagine a big shepherds meet with all the fun of the fair taking place here. This is looking back so Carlin Gill is on the right.
Setting off along Uldale now. An occasional sheepfold is the only sign of man as there are no walls or fences in the Howgills and to be walking along here totally alone in the warm morning sunshine was a beautiful and a real tonic after I yesterday when I had been on a local walk with Sue and I'd filled my rubbish collecting bag after about ten minutes and we spent our lunchtime watching the firemen putting out fires started by the idiots with their portable barbecues.
Looking back along Uldale.
I followed a sheep trod which cut off the corner passing over Middledale End. I now wished I had just followed the stream to the end of the valley as it would have saved me some unnecessary climbing and descending.
And here I am descending into the lonely Langdale valley..
Again the water is very low so sometimes I just walked along the stream bed.
Another wide flat plain towards the end of the valley.. I now understand a what Pete Jones (AKA Tracksterman ) was eluding to in this youtube video. ( although the Howgills are not quite on the same scale as the Tian Shen mountains of China.).
My escape from Langdale was up the little hill of Cobles, which was a bit of a hot plod but not too bad..
If I was heading out to the south or to visit the Calf, Saddle Grain looks to be a fairly straightforward escape.
Langdale from Cobles.
After topping out on Cobles there is still the climb up to the col between Bush Howe and Breaks Head. I didn't climb all the way to Bush Howe but contoured around above the stream gullies to meet the col.
I did consider following West Grain out of the valley and from here it does look doable.
Fell Head from the col.
Looking back to the Calf.
I think that's Whernside in the middle with Pen-y- Ghent on the left and Ingleborough on the right.
Blakethwaite Bottom down below with Hand lake above. Cross Fell and the Dun fells in the distance.
On the final downhill now with the Lakeland Fells in the distance beyond the fells around Borrowdale in Westmorland.
Zooming in on the end of Carlin Gill.
The Howgills wild ponies.
My route was -
Carlingill Bridge - Carlin Gill - Black Force - The Spout - Blakethwaite Bottom - Uldale - Middledale End - Langdale - Cobles - Breaks Head - Fell Head - Linghaw - Carlingill Bridge ( about 10 miles 2900 ft ascent )

GnP

• Veteran Member
Re: TR - 31st May - Another Howgills wander
« Reply #1 on: 16:55:50, 01/06/20 »
Looks like you had a wonderful walk . I`m liking the Whernside and Pen-Y-Gent views especially .This green and pleasant land once more ... O0
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:00:12, 01/06/20 »
Should have taken beefy, there'd have been some wind then  ;D
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:23:46, 01/06/20 »
Great report of a great walk, Karl - I've been working your route out on the map as I have something similar in mind - when the weather cools off and the pollen subsides, that is. Not sure I fancy the thin Black Force path, mind you.

Langdale looks lovely, possibly even better than Bowderdale. After seeing your photos, I very much want to experience a wild camp there, it looks utterly remote.

Thanks for posting  O0  So much potential in the Howgills.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:24:34, 01/06/20 »
Lovely pics Karl  O0 What a great area this is.

I don't know if I would enjoy those narrow paths above a big drop mind  :)

Hate will never win

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:45:53, 01/06/20 »
Lovely pics Karl  O0 What a great area this is.

Indeed it is - and no less than FOUR TR's recently!

..and I certainly wouldn't fancy that 'thin' path with a heavy pack on  :o

PS - seems a bit strange to me that the Howgills are thought of as part of the Yorkshire Dales - they are in a class of their own, neither Dales nor Lakes.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 21:59:31, 01/06/20 »
PS - seems a bit strange to me that the Howgills are thought of as part of the Yorkshire Dales - they are in a class of their own, neither Dales nor Lakes.

It is odd because they are inside the Cumbrian border! Didn't they move the boundary of the Yorkshire Dales National Park a few years ago to confuse us all? 
Hate will never win

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 22:02:50, 01/06/20 »
Looks like you had a wonderful walk . I`m liking the Whernside and Pen-Y-Gent views especially .This green and pleasant land once more ... O0
Thanks G&P O0  It was a cracking day out

Should have taken beefy, there'd have been some wind then  ;D
A mild breeze I can live with but draw the line at rancid hurricanes :D

Great report of a great walk, Karl - I've been working your route out on the map as I have something similar in mind - when the weather cools off and the pollen subsides, that is. Not sure I fancy the thin Black Force path, mind you.

Langdale looks lovely, possibly even better than Bowderdale. After seeing your photos, I very much want to experience a wild camp there, it looks utterly remote.

Thanks for posting  O0   So much potential in the Howgills.

Thanks Richard O0  I definitely will camp hopefully this summer or even a on a mild Autumn night. As I was having my lunch by the river in Langdale I was imagining lying outside the tent on a clear still night with zero light pollution gazing up out of the valley to the stars  ;)

Lovely pics Karl  O0  What a great area this is.

Thanks A O0  I know I've been twice on the run but there is still a lot to explore yet ;)
I think there are plenty of routes to be found that don't have thin paths

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 22:30:33, 01/06/20 »
Thank you once again for exploring some more of the Howgills for me  O0

Lovely write up and pics but... another Langdale valley?  Are you bagging the "alternative Lake District"?  :D

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 07:00:32, 02/06/20 »
There's another Borrowdale just the other side of the M6 too  ;)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 07:05:26, 02/06/20 »
It is odd because they are inside the Cumbrian border! Didn't they move the boundary of the Yorkshire Dales National Park a few years ago to confuse us all?

Yes, passed me by at the time as I was in Orkney, but from Wikipedia the Howgills and some limestone country to the north were added in 2016.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yorkshire_Dales_National_Park#2016_extension

I am glad that they are included - the Howgills deserve better than to be lumped together with the 'Rest of England', and certainly deserve the protection that National Park status will give them.

I have yet to explore this area of limestone country - it includes the Smardale nature reserve which comes highly recommended by friends.
https://www.cumbriawildlifetrust.org.uk/nature-reserves/smardale

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 07:35:57, 02/06/20 »
Great pics Karl.
Big open skies and big open fells, looks a perfect day.

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 07:53:10, 02/06/20 »
Thank you once again for exploring some more of the Howgills for me  O0

Lovely write up and pics but... another Langdale valley?  Are you bagging the "alternative Lake District"?  :D

Thanks Mel O0  Hopefully you might get there yourself this summer.
There's a Wasdale and a Borrowdale not far away too. You'd think there would be a bit more communication between tribes at the bronze age name choosing stage  ;D

Great pics Karl.
Big open skies and big open fells, looks a perfect day.
It was Ridge, but crikey  it was hot  O0

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 10:48:57, 02/06/20 »
Excellent walk and pics again in the Howgills, so much perfect pitching to be had  O0

My escape from Langdale was up the little hill of Cobles, which was a bit of a hot plod but not too bad..

Looks quite big enough to me thank you  :) Still it's better than Yarlside.

One F

« Reply #14 on: 12:47:23, 02/06/20 »

The boundary changes in, iirc, 1974 saw the old West Riding of Yorkshire cut up into West Yorkshire, with the remnants farmed out to South Yorkshire North Yorkshire, Lancashire and Cumbria. The West Riding north west boundary was at the Crook O' Lune Bridge and Sedbergh and the Howgills were under the control of the WRCC based in Wakefield. There are still the old WR signs dotted about in places such as Dent (which is now in Cumbria too) and Dunsop Bridge (Forest of Bowland area in Lancashire). Some of us have never forgiven the government of the day for such outrageous behaviour.

More recently the Yorkshire Dales National Park was extended to include the Howgills.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy