Author Topic: One person tent for year round use  (Read 1386 times)

sirgeoffrey

One person tent for year round use
« on: 12:09:31, 08/03/10 »
Hi,

I wonder if I could call on the combined wisdom of this forum for some thoughts on one man tents.

I am planning on doing some solo walking in Snowdonia and the Lakes and have started looking something lighter than the 3.5 kg 2man tent I currently have. I thought about bivi bags but would like something that has a bit of a porch so that I can cook while sheltered from the element.

Since I would like to be able to use the tent during the winter I was wondering whether I need to get a 4 season tent or whether I would be warm enough in a 3 season tent using a down sleeping bag and extra layers if required? I have read a couple of reviews of 4 season tents that mention that they suffer from condensation. 4 season tents also appear to be considerably more expensive than 3 season ones.

What would you suggest?

Thanks

Carl

angry climber

• Account Closed
Re: One person tent for year round use
« Reply #1 on: 12:30:14, 08/03/10 »
Any tent in winter is going to suffer from condensation simply because the outside wall is much colder than the moist air we breath. As soon as the warm moist air hits the cold wall of a tent it turns into condensation. Any double skin tent will protect you from the worst of this. I would also suggest you use a two man tent to give you more space to be away from the sides and the condensation.

Your question really depends where you want to camp. If its just winter use of campsite then a three season tent will be fine but should you wish to camp further up on the mountain then a strong four season tent will be needed.

I have a North face tent that is a simple two man dome design and sheds snow quite well if pitched in a sheltered valley or campsite pitch it is fine in Winter.
Mountain camps require something like the Hilleberg Nallo, Crux storm or mountain hardwear Trango but you will not get much change out of £400   
Never judge someone by the opinion of others find out for yourself.

howardfernlover

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 13:31:00, 08/03/10 »
Since I would like to be able to use the tent during the winter I was wondering whether I need to get a 4 season tent or whether I would be warm enough in a 3 season tent using a down sleeping bag and extra layers if required?

Hi Carl, although the season rating of a tent is similar to the rating used for sleeping bags, in the case of tents it is nothing to do with how warm they will keep you,  but it's how strong the tent is.

Basically, a 4 season tent is sturdier and has less chance of being blown down and/or wrecked in strong mountain winds than a 3 season one, and should shed snow better, too. That's how I see it, anyway.

You'll probably find there is a bit of overlap between the two, with some manufacturers pushing their product a bit and giving it 4, while others err on the cautious side and give theirs a 3.

I'm not in a position to make any particular recommendations, but I predict most people here are going to suggest the Hilleberg Atko, which I understand to be the best lightweight one.  If your budget won't stretch to that, there might be one or two 3 season rated tents that will take almost everything the weather throws at them.

twiglegs

« Reply #3 on: 13:56:42, 08/03/10 »
I use the laser competition for year round use, though it's not totally suitable and can be flappy in wind.
Personally i dont like the Akto, ends are too low and even less headroom than my comp.
I'm after a superlight voyager which would be more comfortable and more of a real winter tent than either of the above, being a 2 man and weighing only 1.3kg but it does pitch inner first.
For bombproof i'd look at the original voyager at 1.7kg.

sirgeoffrey

« Reply #4 on: 16:33:33, 08/03/10 »
but it does pitch inner first.
For bombproof i'd look at the original voyager at 1.7kg.

thats a good point. I would really want one that either pitches outer first or both together.

Thanks for the information so far people. I have a Coleman Avior X3 at the moment. Theres no way you would get 3 people in it, two is comfortable so I imagine there be loads of room for just me. Its been great so far - used it on the Ridgeway and in the Lakes at Easter last year. I was thinking about a dome tent that would be more stable and easier to pitch in the snow. But if I avoid snowy conditions then I think I should be OK in the Avior if I can put up with the weight.

TheGUYuk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 16:58:49, 08/03/10 »
There is a budget mountain tent  over looked by brand chasers but alas it is only a single skin lightweight single birth.

Weight: 1.6kg
Pack Size: 40x10x10cm
Dimensions: 180x240cm
Height: 90cm
Colour: Amber Glow/Grey Trim

RRP: £80   
Covered up!
 Megastore Price: £64.99 (€71.49)

he two alloy pole construction with side entrance, ultra lightweight and with a small pack size makes the Rapido (feel insecure in the showers) an essential piece of mountain equipment for all those solo expeditioners.  The flysheet is constructed using 210T PU coated Diamond Ripstop nylon with taped seams, giving 5000mm of hydrostatic head protection. The groundsheet is 190T PU coated nylon again with 5000mm hydrostatic head; the single skin construction (to reduce weight) means no inner tent. Continuous poles sleeves and alloy pegs completes the line-up of features. 

http://www.outdoormegastore.co.uk/acatalog/Aztec_Rapido_Solo_Mountain_Tent.html

Hope you find the two birth+ that suits your weight limit.

Or you go for a Vango Banshee 300 Lightweight Tent - 2010 Model but is it really worth spending so much to save alittle weight?

http://www.outdoormegastore.co.uk/acatalog/Vango_Banshee_300_Lightweight_Tents.html

Dimensions: (Inner) 230x165+50cm
Height: (Inner) 100cm
Weight: 2.6kg
Pack Size: 46x14x14cm

or

http://www.outdoormegastore.co.uk/acatalog/Vango_Tempest_200_Mountain_Tunnel_Tent.html

TheGUYuk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:10:22, 09/03/10 »
Force Ten Vitesse Tent (2009)

Capacity: 2 person
  Trail weight: 1000g
 Total weight: 1300g
 Pack size: 30 x ø12cm
 Pitching time: 5 mins
http://www.outdoorgear4u.co.uk/category/camping-tents/12-person-tents/force-ten-vitesse-tent-2009.php

sirgeoffrey

« Reply #7 on: 22:38:02, 10/03/10 »
Thanks for those links - something to think about.

I think I might stick with the coleman for a while longer.

SouthDowns

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 08:47:58, 11/03/10 »
There is a budget mountain tent  over looked by brand chasers but alas it is only a single skin lightweight single birth.

Looks good for it's intended use, but I don't think it's what sirgeoffrey needs. It's VERY heavy for a single skin one man tent (my double skin one man tent weighs less than that, an it's neither expensive nor claimed to be light weight), has a door that'll let rainin if open to cook, and will suffer condensation like there's no tomorrow if used in cool weather.

If you're going to go for that Id say use a tarp. You'll get better protection, MUCH lower weight even if you add a bivvy, and less condensation because it's better ventilated. A bivvy will easily restore any loss of warmth from the extra ventilation.

Anyway, I'm just saying that there IS a step between "bivvy with nowhere to cook", and "bombproof 4 season tent", especially if you were thinking of bivvying anyway. A good tarp will easily stand up to UK winter conditions too, though for that you do have to choose well.

BTW, I don't think the Voyagers are 1.3 and 1.7 kg Twiglegs. I think you've missed a kilo off there.
Signature space for rent. Reasonable rates apply.

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #9 on: 09:17:25, 11/03/10 »
BTW, I don't think the Voyagers are 1.3 and 1.7 kg Twiglegs. I think you've missed a kilo off there.

I thought that was light so I checked terra nova and they say the Voyagers are 1.53 and 2.27
Never judge someone by the opinion of others find out for yourself.

SouthDowns

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 12:14:53, 11/03/10 »

I thought that was light so I checked terra nova and they say the Voyagers are 1.53 and 2.27

Ah, lighter than I remembered. Those weights show just how heavy that single skin somgle man tent is I think - voyagers are good sized two man tents and pretty storm proof.

Mark

twiglegs

« Reply #11 on: 13:22:53, 11/03/10 »
Sorry, i did get the weight slightly wrong.  :-[

Btw, i'm selling a few tents including a laser comp for £150 on Outdoors magic if anyone is interested.
Geoff.
http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/forummessages/mps/dt/1/UTN/35975/V/8/SP/

SouthDowns

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 14:08:28, 11/03/10 »
Umm, Twiglegs, are you really looking to buy a Vaude Scrotum? Should be warm but maybe a bit clammy too?  :-[

Mark

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy