Author Topic: 219 steps down ...  (Read 1107 times)

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
219 steps down ...
« on: 20:37:33, 04/01/21 »
Walked down here recently, losing count of the steps.
Few days ago thought I'd have another go, but ended up on wrong path leading to 'the cycle route' down Wow!
As I scrambled down to the bottom I nearly cleaned out a fellow walker, passing by.
Today finally managed not only to find the correct path leading to the steps but managed to count them.
Careful descent!

Sliding down muddy slope to first steps..

Here we go...

Don't slip over the edge...

It's a long way down..

On we go...

Reet Clarty...

The ends in sight...

Looking back up the flight of steps..

and off through the wood we go...

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Re: 219 steps down ...
« Reply #1 on: 21:17:33, 04/01/21 »
Is that in North Durham?
Too little, too late, too bad......

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 22:01:15, 04/01/21 »
Nice pics.
Is there a drought where you are, it looks very dry  ;D

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:26:52, 05/01/21 »
Where were you?

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 14:03:50, 05/01/21 »

Spot the red arrow, I was here in Great High Wood, just about a mile from centre of Durham City. This area below and left of river Wear is mostly University, my quiet walking area, when the little darlings are away.

A number of photos came out blurry, due to darkness or being unable to stand still in the slippy mud!

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 16:21:09, 05/01/21 »
Thanks for that. Shows what my memory us like, I thought it was up in the direction of Consett. That's another one added to my list for when I get to live back up home.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:26:16, 09/01/21 »
Are you sure there was 219 steps down?  None buried under that mud?   :D

Nice set of pics.  I always find steps harder going than just a slope.  Though with mud like that I'd probably be grateful for them  :-\

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:55:42, 09/01/21 »
Are you sure there was 219 steps down?  None buried under that mud?   :D

Nice set of pics.  I always find steps harder going than just a slope.  Though with mud like that I'd probably be grateful for them  :-\

Well, Mel, there was at least one where the board had disappeared, possibly more hiding! No doubt I'll be back there for another walk soon.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 20:08:47, 09/01/21 »
Steps down are harder on the knees when you get to a certain age..I know from experience ..in mud even more so of course . O0
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 20:17:25, 09/01/21 »
Went for a 'lollop'! along to the next woods, muddy ground was frozen solid out in the open, but when I got right into the wood it was soft claggy mud! Started to laugh out loud as I attempted to go up a bank, just kept sliding everyway except the way I wanted to go!  :D  Steps do come in handy!  :D

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 23:18:11, 09/01/21 »
I don’t like steps - up or down on an outdoor walk. My stride length invariably does not align with the length of the steps, so I end up walking in an unnatural rhythm. Strangely enough, I don’t have the same problem with stairs and an climb and descend them without problem.

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 12:07:14, 10/01/21 »
I don’t like steps - up or down on an outdoor walk. My stride length invariably does not align with the length of the steps, so I end up walking in an unnatural rhythm. Strangely enough, I don’t have the same problem with stairs and an climb and descend them without problem.
When I first started going on my walking adventures, met an old guy who advised always use the steps not the land on either side to avoid erosion. That's why the steps are there he said. Always recall this.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy