Author Topic: New member  (Read 1787 times)

Casualwalker

« on: 13:53:48, 02/01/21 »
Hi just joined, site looks good, looking for guidance on some average walks around North Wales  8)

vghikers

• Veteran Member
Re: New member
« Reply #1 on: 16:41:00, 02/01/21 »
Welcome from south Manchester  :)

Casualwalker

« Reply #2 on: 16:58:13, 02/01/21 »
Hey thanks so were abouts are you walking, or have been any good suggestions

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:58:44, 02/01/21 »
Hey thanks so were abouts are you walking, or have been any good suggestions

Since March, only within walking distance of home!  :(

Before that, many places as you can see on our site (link below in my sig), a large section in north Wales but almost all backpacks rather than day walks.

Referencing your other thread, Moel Famau was one of our favourite winter training day walks, we did several variations of that ridge walk from Cilcain and one of them is included as a day walk on our site.

Casualwalker

« Reply #4 on: 20:21:30, 02/01/21 »
Hi, I'm Adrian by the way, thanks for all that, good to hear you had some good times up there.
I'm hoping to get up there some time tomorrow, and a few times more to get in training, as I would like to Snowden this year.
I have a niece who along with her husband are avid walkers and mountain climbers, so I hope I will have some experienced company, as they have done Snowden a few times.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 13:59:21, 03/01/21 »
Average walkies, where about in North Wales are you ?

High on my list would be around the Anglesey coastal path, especially from Bull Bay to Amlwch,  and then there;s the Northern Carneddau from Abergwyngregyn.

My suggestion is to invest in copies of John Gilhams superb guides to the Mountains of Snowdonia

There's four of them in the series, the Northern mountains, West, East and South.

The beauty of North Wales, is that its a very compact area, and if you look at a map, the town of Conway is the Northern most pinpoint.

Dolgellau in the South, your Southernmost point.

My home village of Dyffryn Ardudwy the Western most point, and probably Dynas Mawddwy just south of Dolgellau your most Easterly location, with the start or finish of the Aran ridge

The beauty of all those locations, is that you could visit everyone of them, in under three hours of driving, and every mountain range of Snowdonia lies in that small area.

Grab a copy or two of Mr gillhams books, but my number one fave walk,  is from Abergwyngregyn to the summit of Foel Fras, via Drum.

In fine weather, its suitable for everyone, even a couch potato, but its pretty magical.

Good luck,, and order one or two Mr Gillham publications, and you will be spoilt for choice 
« Last Edit: 14:02:23, 03/01/21 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

Casualwalker

« Reply #6 on: 15:05:39, 03/01/21 »
Hi thankyou for all that information, I will certainly look into ordering a couple of those books.
Well had a mornings walk around loggerheads, as moel Fammau was closed off and the police were there, so gentle walk upto devil's gorge and back, was a lovely morning here.
Im in Hawarden, Flintshire not far from mold, but will definitely be looking for something new to walk next weekend.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 15:15:20, 03/01/21 »
Welcome to the forum from a former resident of Snowdonia (now living on the southern edge of the Lake District).

As Dyffryn Ardudwy infers, so much available within a short drive. Moel Siabod was always a favourite of mine - was once my local hill.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Casualwalker

« Reply #8 on: 15:41:03, 03/01/21 »
Hi Richard.
Thanks for the warm welcome, yes going to get into walking bit time this year.
Not sure if you have seen me post that I want to do Snowden this year, just need to get the stamina up a level before then.
Gutted moel Fammau was shut off today, was the ideal weather here today to do that, but to be expected I suppose, so loggerheads had to do, nice walk if you like mud :D
So this other moel you mentioned were abouts is that?
Regards.
Adri

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 16:48:34, 03/01/21 »
South west from Capel Curig, about 2 miles ...
Where there's a will ...

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 18:19:56, 03/01/21 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy