Author Topic: Linking up a few long distance paths  (Read 5012 times)

Beth FF

Linking up a few long distance paths
« on: 21:00:58, 26/08/19 »
Hello everyone. I'm hoping to walk at least a couple of inland long distance paths this winter and although I've found websites with long lists of them, or mapped individually, I'm looking for somewhere which has all of them on 1 map so I can see at a glance where they intersect or link up. Does such a website exist?

TIA.

Dread

Re: Linking up a few long distance paths
« Reply #1 on: 21:04:22, 26/08/19 »
Hello everyone. I'm hoping to walk at least a couple of inland long distance paths this winter and although I've found websites with long lists of them, or mapped individually, I'm looking for somewhere which has all of them on 1 map so I can see at a glance where they intersect or link up. Does such a website exist

TIA.

Hi. You could try  www.ldwa.org.uk  or  www.nationaltrail.co.uk

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:36:23, 26/08/19 »
Easiest one is www.nationaltrails.co uk.

As a suggestion, St Bees to Keld on the C2C, then turn south to Edale on the Pennine Way, or north if that's best for you.

Offas Dyke Path south to north, when you get to Knighton turn off on the Glyndyrs Way to Welshpool, in the winter that will be a really good test.

dank86

« Reply #3 on: 21:44:17, 26/08/19 »
Ldwa is good at showing trails connected to one your looking at so it would help in linking a few up

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:46:21, 26/08/19 »
Cleveland Way, Yorkshire Wolds, Viking Way, Hereward Way, Peddars Way, Norfolk Coast Path.

A reasonable stride out.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Beth FF

« Reply #5 on: 21:54:06, 26/08/19 »
Thanks Dread and Gunwharfman  :)  I've looked at those site and couldn't find a map that had all of the trails on, and all of them together on 1 map  :-\  I've also looked at https://www.walkingenglishman.com/ldp/ldp.html which has a huge number, but unfortunately the routes aren't all on a single map so I can't see where convenient joins could be.

I do have a couple of paths in mind; the Ridgeway, the Pilgrims Way, and the South Downs Way. Also tempted by Offas Dyke. I'm not interested in coastal paths as I've already done the entire coast from Gravesend to Dumfries (clockwise, full-time) so want a change from looking at the sea.

What I like:
Woodlands
Rivers
Canals
Undulating landscapes (I loved it when I lived in North Herefordshire)
Pretty villages
Architecture
Street art
Country tracks
Easy access to B&Bs

Dislike:
Moorland
Marsh
Hills/mountains
Getting wet feet
Bleak and too remote landscapes
Camping

Beth FF

« Reply #6 on: 21:55:17, 26/08/19 »
Right, I'll have another look at the LDWA website to see if I can find how to do that  O0  Thanks

dank86

« Reply #7 on: 22:01:33, 26/08/19 »
Right, I'll have another look at the LDWA website to see if I can find how to do that  O0  Thanks

There's option to show connected paths it won't show them all but it'll let you work something out.
If you want a long one you could always try https://www.ldwa.org.uk/ldp/members/show_path.php?menu_type=S&path_name=Great+English+Walk

Beth FF

« Reply #8 on: 22:16:53, 26/08/19 »

Aha! I've found the LDWA map with them all intertwined  :D  Fantastic stuff, exactly what I was looking for    8)

Thanks gunwharfman and Jimbob, I’ll look into your suggested routes  :)

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 08:16:03, 27/08/19 »
Crikey Beth, you planning a new challenge already  :)
Where there's a will ...

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 08:29:01, 27/08/19 »
How did you get on with your walk around Britain that you were planning last year, Beth?
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 13:34:51, 27/08/19 »
She's still on it and in Scotland at the mo  O0
Where there's a will ...

Beth FF

« Reply #12 on: 21:34:44, 27/08/19 »

Crikey Beth, you planning a new challenge already
I’m going to do it as a winter detour during my current challenge, then get back on the east coast when it's spring. May as well make the most of it while I can  :)

How did you get on with your walk around Britain that you were planning last year, Beth?
I'm on it now  :)  2000 miles since 3rd October 2018. I'm currently in Stranraer, Scotland. Will cut across on the John Muir Way rather than go all around the Scottish coast though.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 06:46:44, 28/08/19 »
I’m going to do it as a winter detour during my current challenge, then get back on the east coast when it's spring. May as well make the most of it while I can  :)

Wish I had the time, I'd join you  :)
Where there's a will ...

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 07:51:09, 28/08/19 »
I'm on it now  :)  2000 miles since 3rd October 2018. I'm currently in Stranraer, Scotland. Will cut across on the John Muir Way rather than go all around the Scottish coast though.

Good luck, Beth.

You must come back and walk the Scottish coast sometime though - a really tough option following the west coast, mind you - all those sea lochs!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy