Author Topic: Oregon 700 - Route Planner  (Read 513 times)

Tam911

Oregon 700 - Route Planner
« on: 09:36:42, 14/02/21 »
Hi,

I cannot see some of the icons on my oregon that are on the tutorials, utubes etc i.e i cannot see route planner, is this a setting or do i need to do a complete reset, im becoming extremely fed up with this device now :( :(

Eyelet

Re: Oregon 700 - Route Planner
« Reply #1 on: 11:33:54, 14/02/21 »
It is possible that you are looking at an abbreviated set of icons in the Application Drawer which holds a configurable subset of apps. You should not need to do a reset. All the apps and icons are in the device, you probably need to configure the Drawer to show you the ones you want to use (and de-clutter the ones you don’t!). It’s a bit like having 50 programs loaded onto your laptop, but only having 5 shortcut icons on your desktop.

I don’t know if the default setup for the Drawer includes the Route Planning app but it can be added to the Drawer (along with any other app) for easy access - see the excellent on-line GPSrChive resource https://www.gpsrchive.com/Oregon%207x0/index.htm and scroll down to Application Drawer for details.

Tam911

« Reply #2 on: 15:22:34, 14/02/21 »
Thank you again!, Im viewing the site now.  Ive become to realise i really need to sit down and learn, watch and read some of this stuff as it is all very new to us  :-[

Eyelet

« Reply #3 on: 18:30:40, 14/02/21 »
You could do a lot worse than start by getting a copy of Lyle Brotherton's "The Ultimate Navigation Manual"  O0 O0 e.g. from Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimate-Navigation-Manual-Lyle-Brotherton/dp/0007424604 or AbeBooks (I posted on this a few weeks ago and  suspect Walking Forum users have been buying up the second hand copies like hot cakes as there was only one left!  https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=30842118129&searchurl=kn%3DUltimate%2BNavigation%2BManual%26sortby%3D17&cm_sp=snippet-_-srp1-_-title3

This superb book has 365 pages and pp 248-340 are devoted to Global Navigation Satellite Systems (GNSS) starting from the basics. Lyle clearly explains the concepts, setting up and using your device from first principles and he has prepared lesson plans for you to consolidate your learning with practical exercises. I can't recommend it enough. He also produced a few videos on YouTube which are a bit dated in term of the devices he used, but the clear explanations about the technology are timeless and can be applied to any outdoor sat-nav.

It is a steep learning curve and you will need to persevere ... once you get your head around the basics, hopefully the grid of Oregon apps will start to make some sense.

Tam911

« Reply #4 on: 19:22:21, 14/02/21 »
 O0  I’ve just ordered one off eBay for £10.50 .

I hope it helps ;D

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Where there's a will ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy