Author Topic: Loch Ness  (Read 1780 times)

Vincent82

Loch Ness
« on: 10:47:02, 18/08/20 »
Hi

I was just wondering if anyone had walked along Loch Ness, either North or South on the South Loch Ness trail? https://www.visitinvernesslochness.com/explore-the-scottish-highlands/the-south-loch-ness-trail/  

Was it good?

Quite far from London, but there is a direct train to Inverness so that's quite easy.

It would be for end of September, but probably won't book much in advance as I'm a bit concerned about future restrictions.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
Re: Loch Ness
« Reply #1 on: 11:41:06, 18/08/20 »
I have not walked far along it, but the south side is more picturesque and quieter than the north.

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 08:08:02, 19/08/20 »
Hello...If you mean the Great Glen Way? on the North side of the Loch.
Have travelled this route from Fort William through to Inverness on my off road bike. A pleasant assortment of forest plantation paths/Tracks and bits of minor roads and small villages. You are rarely in contact with the water in the Loch Ness but many opportunities to look down on the Loch during the journey but at least you are well away from the race track of the A82 connecting the two main Towns.  Between Fort William and Fort Augustus contact is made with the Caledonian canal and both Loch Oich and Loch Lochy.

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 08:22:44, 19/08/20 »
Apologies....There is now a South Loch Ness walking route....three stages between Fort Augustus and Inverness.  Have not been along this route.  On the Walk Highlands site there is a description and details of this walk. See Walks and the Loch Ness bit to click.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 09:06:48, 19/08/20 »
I walked the South Loch Ness trail a few years ago.  It was very pleasant and quite easy going, but as I remember there was a certain amount of road walking.  The roads were pretty quiet though, and there was a pub or two along the route.  The Falls of Foyer are certainly worth a look as you go past.  We met a few people who were joining it to the east end of the Great Glen Way to make a Loch Ness circular.

Vincent82

« Reply #5 on: 10:08:54, 20/08/20 »
Yes, I was looking at the South route. Thank you for the responses.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy