Author Topic: wild camping in the lakes - some graphic photos  (Read 7626 times)

solo backpacker

some nice and some not so nice pictures of my time in the lakes recently
Man, I see the strongest and smartest men who've ever lived. I see all this potential, and I see squandering. God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy [censored] we don't need.

M J B

Re: wild camping in the lakes - some graphic photos
« Reply #1 on: 18:30:37, 02/03/07 »
I keep meaning to do a bit of wild camping, looks really good. Not quite sure id be very good at the last bit. Is that a bivy under the tarp?

solo backpacker

« Reply #2 on: 19:28:32, 06/03/07 »
certainly is, I have a three season sleeping bag with an old army bivy to keep it dry. i run pretty hot so it seems enough for me. i've just invested in a hennessy hammock though, talk about comfort. no arched backs, no uneven ground problems and can but used on feature less ground with walking poles.
Man, I see the strongest and smartest men who've ever lived. I see all this potential, and I see squandering. God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy [censored] we don't need.

titaniumdude

« Reply #3 on: 01:56:23, 07/03/07 »
Having said that it certainly looks like you're considering doing something to it. ;D
I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing

marmot

« Reply #4 on: 17:51:39, 20/03/07 »
What is that dead thing anyway, a rabbit?
If that's a lightweight fanny I wouldn't fancy the heavyweight ones you've come across titaniumdude :o

solo backpacker

« Reply #5 on: 18:13:51, 20/03/07 »
well i had just removed my finger from the rabbits [censored]......

.....you have to push the rabbit droppings through from the inside to prevent infecting the meat!

titaniumdude

« Reply #6 on: 18:40:48, 20/03/07 »
LOL.  In fact LMFAO.  Heavywight!  Jeez! LOL.
I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing

solo backpacker

« Reply #7 on: 19:24:22, 20/03/07 »
i think you can see from my facial expressions how happy i was about the encounter

solo backpacker

« Reply #8 on: 19:40:06, 20/03/07 »
the hangi caught fire after we extracted the parcels of veg and meat. really hot rocks covered with moss in a pit with parcels of meat and veg covered over with muslim and soil - great way to cook but a bit labour intensive, and prone to the odd fire!

solo backpacker

« Reply #9 on: 19:43:44, 20/03/07 »
guy looking over his shoulder is Ben McNutt, he did the sketches in the ray mears survival handbook, knows far too much about mushrooms and other wild edibles

M J B

« Reply #10 on: 20:20:15, 20/03/07 »
there was me thinking you were doing the hardcore wild camping on your own!  ;)
im trying to round up a few people to go camping in scotland in a couple of weeks  but its like pulling teeth.

solo backpacker

« Reply #11 on: 17:45:45, 26/03/07 »
mixture of photos, i'm not about to go out, catch a rabbit, stick my finger up its [censored] and eat it just for the hell of it!  :P

i need to get the photos developed but that survival course spurred me on to doing four days, three nights along the Southern Upland Way from the west coast, galloway forest area on my own wild camping using exactly the same setup as shown. no gas powered stoves ethier, real fire all the way. loved it, specially the solitude, i only saw one other walker on the whole four days. i was supposed to be out last wend but snow and arctic conditions meant i had to stay in the pub!

i'm always up for a bit of wild camping in the scottish lowlands / highlands but finding the time can be a struggle. off to blackberry woods in sussex soon though - supposed to be the best campsite in the country. secluded wooded pitches with camp fires actively encouraged, drop me a line if you want the details, i'll post picks when i get back.

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 21:37:01, 26/03/07 »
Well thats got to be the best B&B you can get (basher & bivvy)

So on your course did you also do the fish eyes (yum yum, full of vit c) oh and worm pizza is not too bad either?
 ;D ;D
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

solo backpacker

« Reply #13 on: 19:34:53, 27/03/07 »
basher and bivvy is good but i quickly found out how difficult it is to find the perfect spot to stop. level ground can be tricky for starters. thats why i've invested in a hennesy hammock, they are class. not had chance to experience a full outdoors night in it yet but have had it up a couple of times to practice. http://www.hennessyhammock.com

it was all bistro class food all the way! rabbit and pigeon pie, roast duck, roast rabbit, trail bread, certainly no worm pizza or fish eyes!

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 11:50:37, 01/04/07 »
Might be of interest to you, did you see Bears Ghyl (most unlikely to be spelt correct) catch that rabbit last night with a stick, wow what a throw :)
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy