Author Topic: Long term Gear tests and reviews  (Read 2873 times)

watershed

Re: Long term Gear tests and reviews
« Reply #15 on: 18:21:16, 11/06/20 »
here is another site that has similar results for their top recommendations
https://www.cleverhiker.com/
maybe they are correct and they are generally the best performing.
But would love to see a site from this side of the pond as a balance.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 21:27:38, 11/06/20 »
Thanks for that, the first time I've seen 'cleverhiker.'

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 17:44:19, 12/06/20 »
here is another site that has similar results for their top recommendations
https://www.cleverhiker.com/
maybe they are correct and they are generally the best performing.
But would love to see a site from this side of the pond as a balance.

It's the same tents turning up again and again. They may be good tents for their intended audience (American backpackers), but I now strongly suspect that some of these sites just 'follow each other' (I'm being kind).
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

watershed

« Reply #18 on: 19:46:20, 12/06/20 »
I started this thread to see if anyone could recommend a site that does a comprehensive test of outdoor gear and the result seems to be that the only sites are American.

There certainly seems a gap in the market for a testing site/magazine to cover Northern Europe type climate.

Thank you to everybody who contributed.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 21:44:58, 12/06/20 »

It's the same tents turning up again and again. They may be good tents for their intended audience (American backpackers), but I now strongly suspect that some of these sites just 'follow each other' (I'm being kind).
When I first left university, I tried writing car reports for local newspapers and magazines.
All I did was read others reviews and rearrange the words.  Goes on a lot.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

watershed

« Reply #20 on: 09:35:07, 13/06/20 »
When I first left university, I tried writing car reports for local newspapers and magazines.
All I did was read others reviews and rearrange the words.  Goes on a lot.

Hopefully they are not all so disingenuous.
What I tend to do at the moment is read anything that is available, to narrow down my choices then have a closer look or try on.
Then pick what feels the best. So far it seems to have worked.
But gut feel is that we may be missing information on gear more suitable for our climate.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 09:45:19, 13/06/20 »
The problem I foresee is that by the time gear has been used long enough to write a worthwhile report about durability etc, the chances are the product will no longer be marketed in the same form.
Solvitur Ambulando

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 09:49:29, 13/06/20 »
Hopefully they are not all so disingenuous.
Sadly they were back then.  It is how a few journalists, who dared to be different, made a name for themselves.

The problem I foresee is that by the time gear has been used long enough to write a worthwhile report about durability etc, the chances are the product will no longer be marketed in the same form.
Yes, this is a problem with most things.  Minor changes, for changes sake, rather than genuine improvement.

I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 12:12:18, 19/06/20 »
Found this site, which had some good in depth tent reviews. Limited number of reviews though, but still interesting.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 14:43:57, 19/06/20 »
After reading the views and looking up the sites mentioned and a few more besides I still believe that the 'big boys' own the net space and obviously milk it for their own gain. I accept that its capitalism and that's the way it works but I personally am convinced there must be products 'out there' which match or even better the big companies. When for example do we see these tents compared to Robens, Lightwave, Alpkit, Naturehike, and other brands? When I see someone writing that they are not involved with a big company for their own gain, that's when I tend to raise my eyebrows!

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 15:38:28, 19/06/20 »
... When for example do we see these tents compared to Robens, Lightwave, Alpkit, Naturehike, and other brands? When I see someone writing that they are not involved with a big company for their own gain, that's when I tend to raise my eyebrows!

Lightwave and Alpkit tents feature on the ukclimbing.com site, gwm. Good review of an alpkit rucksack too, by someone who actually took it up  Helvellyn for a bivvy.

WILDWALKINGUK

« Reply #26 on: 07:43:32, 20/06/20 »
I've reviewed the Lightwave S10 Sigma as best I can under current restrictions, and like it a lot. https://wildwalkinguk.com/2020/02/08/lightwave-s10-sigma-tent-review-new-2019-model/
The reviews are just my opinion of the product and I try to write with an open mind, but it's hard, every one is so different, in the way they may use a product etc. I'm not paid for my time so I can only spend so long on each review, but I do tend to go back and update them as I learn more.  
I tend to read every thing I can on products I'm thinking of buying, from any sauce keeping an open mind then decide for myself if or not to buy. I like the Ultralight Outdoor Gear site for their reviews on hiking gear   https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/  .  

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 08:13:45, 20/06/20 »
I've reviewed the Lightwave S10 Sigma as best I can under current restrictions, and like it a lot. https://wildwalkinguk.com/2020/02/08/lightwave-s10-sigma-tent-review-new-2019-model/
The reviews are just my opinion of the product and I try to write with an open mind, but it's hard, every one is so different, in the way they may use a product etc. I'm not paid for my time so I can only spend so long on each review, but I do tend to go back and update them as I learn more.
I tend to read every thing I can on products I'm thinking of buying, from any sauce keeping an open mind then decide for myself if or not to buy. I like the Ultralight Outdoor Gear site for their reviews on hiking gear  https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/ .  

Good review of the Sigma S10, WildWalking  O0
Nice tent, but beyond my budget, and I still have a deep seated suspicion about condensation in single skin tents, although I do take note of your comments.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 08:03:23, 02/07/20 »
For tents, check out Andrew Park's Youtube channel - he has owned over 100 tents!

https://www.youtube.com/c/g768rh/videos

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy