Author Topic: Been hiking on/off for past 5 years all abroad, looking at uk hikes from April  (Read 1338 times)

CaminoSteve

Hi .
 Been Hiking, trekking , walking for past 5 years , Mostly on Camino’s or trekking in Nepal or India.
I am currently in Portugal after walking “Fisherman’s Trail” In April I am coming back to UK to walk some trails, rough plan between April and July is to walk Hadrian’s Wall, Coast to Coast and Welsh Coastal Path (covid permitting)

I have only stayed in Albergue’s , hostels or homestays but as accommodation is so expensive in the UK or limited if cheap I am planning to use a Bivvy bag most of the time. Anybody with general advise about using a Bivvy bag on these routes would be much welcomed.

Thanks Steve

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
I would like to do the Fishermans Trail myself. Any good?

I am a Bivvy person. In my opinion, to enjoy it certain equipment is needed, a 6' X 4' minimum groundsheet is needed, half to lie on and a half to do everything else, changing clothes, socks etc. I like to use a Bivvy with a long zip down one side for ease of getting into and out of. Also good in my opinion to have a good inflatable mattress, to either be in the bivvy with you or underneath the Bivvy. Obviously a sleeping bag or sleeping quilt of your choice and in my case a tarp to cover my head and torso to cope with varied weathers. I also carry a bug mesh headcover just in case I'm being attacked by midges.

For me, these are the basics that I need.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Welcome to the forum, Steve. Not a long distance walker myself, but have you considered a small inconspicuous tent as an alternative to a bivvy bag?
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

windyrigg

• Veteran Member
Welcome to the forum, I walked the Rota Vicentina a couple of years ago, really enjoyed it!

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Does anyone else, when they glance at this topic title, think for a moment that it refers to April the forum member rather than April the month?

No, just me being stupid then...

GnP

• Veteran Member
Does anyone else, when they glance at this topic title, think for a moment that it refers to April the forum member rather than April the month?

At first I thought April started it . :o
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Jac

• Veteran Member

No, there are two of you  ;D ;)

At first I thought April started it . :o

So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
Welcome to the forum from Aberdeenshire. I am not a multi-day long distance walker, so can’t help you with any information.

CaminoSteve

Thanks for info re a Bivvy Bag, it's very helpfull

GnP

• Veteran Member
Welcome by the way & I apologise for not acknowledging you first time around .  O0
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Sorry for the thread hijack, welcome from me too.

Stube

• Veteran Member
Welcome from the south coast.
Remember in Britain it rains some of the time 1 or 2 days in every three all year round - especially overnight - so expect to get wet! Generally it's wettest on the west coast and gets drier as you travel east. A week witihout rain is rare.

If bivvying I would regard a tarp as essential for comfort, but a small lightweight tent can weigh less than a tarp/bivvy combo - or even a hooped bivvy on its own! A tent is certainly a better place to wait out the rain.
OTOH, a bivvy makes wild/stealth camping easier.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy