Author Topic: [TR] - Rhinogydd summer solstice  (Read 3769 times)

pasbury

[TR] - Rhinogydd summer solstice
« on: 15:07:36, 20/11/19 »
I went on this backpack in June but thought I'd write about it now to cheer me up now we're in the short days.

TR – Rhinog Ridge Solstice Backpack
I started near Barmouth in the early afternoon (sea level just to make it a bit harder!) and walked the long ridge over Craig-y-Grut in perfect weather to Diffwys; it’s a long way! Cader Idris is always in view and very spectacular from this angle, the sea is on the other hand.

View of Cader

The ever-present wall

View to the Lleyn

Diffwys top

East Face of Diffwys & Mawddach

By 7 I’d had enough so started looking out for a camp.

Camped by a little pool near Llyn Dulyn and enjoyed several more hours of bright sunshine on solstice night.

Late view from the tent

Next day up to the football pitch summit plateau of Y Llethyr and an encounter with several horses. The views are said to be some of the best in Snowdonia, and a large part of that must be having Rhinog Fach in the foreground, I walked around the top taking in the views – though the wall does get in the way a bit.

View back to Diffwys

Mug shot – buff for sunburn protection!

More wall

First views of Rhinog Fach.

Not many more photos for a while here as it’s a very steep up and a long arduous way down to Bwlch Drwy Ardudwy (taking the path that heads NE to begin and ends with a real steep struggle down a heathery slope). Rhinog Fawr looks a bit formidable from the Bwlch but with care a tiny path can be followed – thanks to the helpful people for the small cairns to guide. At one point I had to crawl through a big hole in a wall pushing the rucsac in front of me.

Rhinog Fawr top

Rhinog Fawr view

These hills are tough! The descent to the Roman Steps took ages, scrambling past Llyn Du was interesting and then a lumpy path.

Bog Asphodel

I found Bwlch Tyddiad a bit forbidding, and the descriptions of the Badlands made me tiny bit nervous but I did want to get to one of the lakes near Craig Wion. A solitary Bog Asphodel cheered me up. The Badlands lived up their reputation and next time I think I’ll tackle them without having been up Rhinogs Fach & Fawr first! I found a scrape of a path several times. There’s always a temptation to try and skirt round the platforms of rock but that just lands you in deep heather and rocks so it’s up and over every time. Not many pictures as I was pretty boxed by now. A last effort and I found Llyn Perfed, an ideal spot to camp.

Badlands

Spot the tent

Up early next morning as I had to get back to my car somehow and do the long drive home. Easy going to Bwlch Gwylim and up to the ridge Craig Ddwrg, then it was more of the Badlands, at least I wasn’t so tired and could appreciate the extraordinary rock formations.

More Badlands

Moel Ysgyfarnogod may be the acme of unpronounceable Welsh hill names but it’s a cracking little hill, I got up it via the very steep south ridge (there are probably more sensible ways up). The view north is excellent.

Moel Ysgyfarnogod top

Finally a scramble over Foel Penelau and down to a track and Trawsfynydd.

« Last Edit: 15:19:51, 20/11/19 by pasbury »

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
Re: [TR] - Rhinogydd summer solstice
« Reply #1 on: 16:41:08, 20/11/19 »
Excellent photos O0  Looks a great walk 8)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:00:37, 20/11/19 »
I enjoyed reading that, a fantastic walk I've always done it the other way, north to south.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:31:19, 20/11/19 »
Great photos    :)

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:57:20, 20/11/19 »
A grand traverse and pics  O0
We did most of that traverse north to south, Trawsfynydd to Diffwys, as part of a circular backpack back in 2004. The central badlands section was the hardest walk in terms of effort per mile we've ever done, but absolutely splendid and well worth it.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:24:16, 20/11/19 »
Great report, thanks for posting it. That trip was quite an undertaking! Any idea of the mileage?

Moel Ysgyfarnogod, it's wise guy far no good, innit?

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 05:53:21, 21/11/19 »
Great pics  O0
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

pasbury

« Reply #7 on: 08:53:36, 21/11/19 »
Thanks all, it certainly was a good trip with perfect weather and loads of daylight!

I think it was about 22 miles in all but took two short days and one long day. The going is very tough all the way from Y Llethyr to the end really. The one mile an hour thing that many people mention proved true for me.

Doing it North to South would be a good excuse for a re-visit.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 09:22:06, 21/11/19 »
That looks a cracking route - hard work but great views and I bet is was quiet.  Thanks for sharing.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 10:50:18, 21/11/19 »
The one mile an hour thing that many people mention proved true for me.

It certainly is true. I've previously done calculations of the hours spent walking and the distance covered on mountain routes with no paths in parts, and my average has been 1.2 mph

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 19:43:43, 21/11/19 »
Fab photos  O0
Hate will never win

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 11:10:15, 23/11/19 »
Beautiful photographs, and a really interesting report.
I was on the summit of Diffwys last Monday afternoon, and almost froze to death, the windchill was savage, even though i went fully prepared.
Ive now located a clear path across the Badlands from the Bryn Cader Faner side, it must have been a route used by quarrymen, as there is some evidence of rock blasting in its upper reaches.

A full 22mile traverse i recon is easier from the Bryn Cader side, as all the brutally hard walking is tackled first, and from Yr Lethr onwards, is very easy ground.

Its still one of the quietest areas in the whole of Snowdonia, as i rarely see anyone in the hills, when i am out walking.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 13:09:00, 23/11/19 »
Smashing write up and pics.  I enjoyed reading that on this drab and dull rainy day.

Thanks for posting  O0

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 17:20:38, 27/11/19 »
Excellent. Love the Rhinogs.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy