Author Topic: Howdy fellow walkers  (Read 1075 times)

Tux

Howdy fellow walkers
« on: 17:52:45, 10/11/20 »
Hello there! I'm Davide, from Padova, Italy. I'm one of those guys who used to hate walking - as a kid my mum would force me into those Sunday walks I spent blathering "are we there? When are we there? Is it over?  :o ", until I discovered a few years later how beautiful it is, provided I don't do it with my mum.

My favourite hiking regions in Italy are Tuscany and the Euganei Hills in Veneto. I'm really looking forward to raise my game from hills to mountains - which is what actually brought me to this forum. Alps have so much to explore!

I currently live in Heidelberg, Germany, which is surrounded by a beautiful forest offering many a route.

Outside the continent I had the luck to wander around the Drakensberg in Lesotho and to reach la Ciudad Perdida after a 3-days trek in northern Colombia.

See you on the road!

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Howdy fellow walkers
« Reply #1 on: 18:15:45, 10/11/20 »
Welcome from Devon. 

I had the opportunity to visit Heidelberg many years ago when I lived in Germany.  I recall the castle with a very large barrel and a drinking establishment in the town centre, the Bier Museum, where you could buy beers from around the world, each one served in the corrrect glass.
Is it still there?
Solvitur Ambulando

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:23:56, 10/11/20 »
Welcome from Aberdeenshire. It looks like you are in a good area for walking. I have walked in the French, Austrian and Slovenian Alps, but not in Germany or Italy.

Tux

« Reply #3 on: 18:38:17, 10/11/20 »

Thanks for the welcome!

Welcome from Devon. 

I had the opportunity to visit Heidelberg many years ago when I lived in Germany.  I recall the castle with a very large barrel and a drinking establishment in the town centre, the Bier Museum, where you could buy beers from around the world, each one served in the corrrect glass.
Is it still there?

Castle and barrel sure are still there, and the Biermuseum Weisser Schwan is too!

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:15:07, 10/11/20 »
Ausgezeichnet!  O0
Solvitur Ambulando

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:22:27, 10/11/20 »
Welcome from Liverpool.  Interesting places you have walked - how were the Drakensbergs?  Did you do a multi-day walk there?

Paul

Tux

« Reply #6 on: 19:54:15, 10/11/20 »
The Drakensbergs were very suggestive, definitely worth it. We did 2 day-hikes, going back to a hostel (Sani Lodge) for the night. From the hostel one can hike alone in the surrounding orange hills, or drive up and across the Lesotho border with a guide, to the proper mountains. I'll post a couple of pics when I reach 25 posts (:

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 20:35:16, 10/11/20 »
Welcome to the forum from the southern edge of the Lake District.

I have only visited Italy once - but what a visit! Two weeks camping in Valsavarenche, in the Gran Paradiso National Park south of Aosta. Absolutely wonderful, even though I didn't quite manage to get to the top of a mountain.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 13:33:57, 12/11/20 »
The Drakensbergs were very suggestive, definitely worth it. We did 2 day-hikes, going back to a hostel (Sani Lodge) for the night. From the hostel one can hike alone in the surrounding orange hills, or drive up and across the Lesotho border with a guide, to the proper mountains. I'll post a couple of pics when I reach 25 posts (:

Look forward to the pictures.  I have done a few day walks round the Blyde River canyon area - nothing particularly off the tourist paths but would like to spend a little time higher in the Drakensbergs on my next visit.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy