Author Topic: TR Alphin Pike, Wimberry Stones and The Oldham Way Mon 25 May 20  (Read 3813 times)

April

• Veteran Member
Most of this walk is within the Peak District NP boundary so I've put it in the PD section although the start and finish is outside of it.

We'd met at the car park near Wellihole Bridge near Greenfield and we were off up Alphin Pike first. It was sunny but there was a breeze that kept us cool for much of the walk.

Looking back from the climb up The Oldham Way

We took the first footpath right up Noonsun Hill that lead to access land.

Pots and Pans and Aldermans Hill from Noonsun Hill

On the way up Noonsun Hill

Rhododendrons

We'd chosen an off piste route up to Alphin PIke, there was another route that others were using but that would have involved more descent then re-ascent. We preferred the peace and quiet where we were. We could see quite a few people on the usual route to the left of us as we walked across the moorland.

Alphin Pike

There were a lot of people here and this was the only shot I could take without a lot of other people on  :D

On the way to Wimberry Stones

Wimberry Stones is also known as Indian's Head. There was quite a breeze up here.

Dovestone Reservoir and Yeoman Hay Reservoir

The rocks at Wimberry Stones

Any shots of the rocks were limited because of people standing on them

Wimberry Stones

Wimberry Stones

Looking back at Wimberry Stones

Another view of the reservoirs

Another look back at Wimberry Stones

More wonderful rock formations

Chew Road seen as we made our way to Chew Reservoir

On the way to Chew Reservoir

Looking back at the path

Dish Stone Rocks and Chew Road seen from Chew Green

Alphin Pike and a peep of Dovestone Reservoir

Dish Stone Rocks

I wonder if there are any caves over there?

Looking back to Indian's Head and Alphin Pike

Chew Reservoir

Looking back up toward Chew reservoir

We walked down Chew Road for a while.

The footbridge over Chew Beck

We turned left off the road and joined the footpath leading over the bridge and onto the old tramway that used to bring up the clay that built Chew Reservoir. We were back on the Oldham Way and this would lead us back to the start.

On the old tramway path

It was quite busy here too on this path as it had been all day, it seemed everyone is making the most of some freedom.

The sugar lump rock

Beefy called this the sugar lump rock but he isn't sure if that is an official name but he said, himself and his friends always called it that as children. I think it was about 15ft high maybe?

Indian's Head from below

We stopped for another brew and some more food, sheltered in some trees to get out of the sun for a while.

On the Oldham Way

Another grand walk. 8.9 miles and about 450m of ascent. Wellihole Bridge car park - Noonsun Hill - White Gate - Alphin Pike - Wimberry Stones - Chew Hurdles - Chew Reservoir - Chew Road - Oldham Way - Intake Lane - Wellihole Bridge Car park.
If I'd known Karl was probably driving south on the M6 at the same time as I was driving north on it I would have waved  :)
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
Great pics and write up as always Ape O0
What a lovely walk this is, the views are tremendous
Shame about the litter lots leaving bottles and stuff they are going on the banned list ;D
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

April

• Veteran Member
Shame about the litter lots leaving bottles and stuff they are going on the banned list ;D

I know, there does seem more litter in this area than what we see in the Lake District would you say?  :(
Hate will never win

pleb

• Veteran Member
 O0 O0 O0  Its only since yesterday I realised you were deffo allowed to walk on Indians Head cos I saw folk doing it, next time maybe for moi. You had a sunnier day than me!  ;D
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Great set of pics, lovely rock formations.  O0
Do you think with the Lake District generally people have made a real effort to get there so they are people who perhaps care about it more. A lot of the Peak District is within less than an hour from Sheffield or Manchester.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Great pictures, April - you're really getting to know Gritstone Country..
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

April

• Veteran Member
Its only since yesterday I realised you were deffo allowed to walk on Indians Head cos I saw folk doing it, next time maybe for moi.

It is a good walk but not as good as your walk near where the Trinnacles are at Ravenstones  :)

Do you think with the Lake District generally people have made a real effort to get there so they are people who perhaps care about it more. A lot of the Peak District is within less than an hour from Sheffield or Manchester.

I really don't know tbh, I would rather say non "walkers" than point the finger at people from any particular city  :-\ The areas that were more accessible near to the car parks have been the worst for litter, there was much less higher up on the tops.

you're really getting to know Gritstone Country..

It is a surprise that the area is so nice  :) Just as well as I am likely to be seeing a lot more of it before things get back to normal  :)
Hate will never win

karl h

• Veteran Member
Great pics again April. O0
 I've only walked a couple of times in that area but do like to do a bit of scrambling and pretend climbing on the rocky outcrops
Litter is depressing >:(  And I've just realized I never saw any at all in the Howgills.
If I'd known Karl was probably driving south on the M6 at the same time as I was driving north on it I would have waved
I started really early so was on my home at 1.45. you were probably still on your second lunch then  :D

April

• Veteran Member
I started really early so was on my home at 1.45. you were probably still on your second lunch then  :D

:o Crikey, we were having second lunch at 2.45 I think ;D I started the drive back at about 5.10 so you were most likely home by then  :)
Hate will never win

Ridge

• Veteran Member
I really don't know tbh, I would rather say non "walkers" than point the finger at people from any particular city  :-\ 
I wasn't clear, I meant that there are large centres of population that can be there very easily and quickly so it attracts more people who haven't the investment of travelling for hours to get there.
Having said that them Mancs are scruffy wotsits.

April

• Veteran Member
I wasn't clear, I meant that there are large centres of population that can be there very easily and quickly so it attracts more people who haven't the investment of travelling for hours to get there.

No, I'm just a bit tired and didn't read what you said properly  :) Yes that is possible why there is a lot of litter. The late Geoff Frost the ranger with the wonderful website wrote about it on there.
https://www.doveheritage.com/litter/

Aye, bleddy scruffy lot  ;)
Hate will never win

pleb

• Veteran Member
^^^  ;D  At the last bit.
People are a pest, arent they? When I become supreme ruler and dictator of the universe, they wont be allowed!
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Mel

• Veteran Member

Is that an orange stream?

I'm enjoying reading about you discovering new places.  Cheers for posting your non-lakey adventures  :)

April

• Veteran Member
People are a pest, arent they? When I become supreme ruler and dictator of the universe, they wont be allowed!

;D

A bit drastic if you mean everyone else except yourself  ;D
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member

Oi... :(

Aye, bleddy scruffy lot  ;)
Oi... >:(

^^^  ;D  At the last bit.

Oi...  :tickedoff:
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy