Author Topic: Ladybower Reservoir Walk  (Read 2529 times)

Lee in Doncaster

• Veteran Member
Walking every week in the Peak District...or somewhere else   http://peakwalking.blogspot.com

pleb

• Veteran Member
Re: Ladybower Reservoir Walk
« Reply #1 on: 18:25:50, 03/10/20 »
Nice views of a nice area.
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Lee in Doncaster

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:28:58, 03/10/20 »
Yes, some lovely views. The weather was quite a bit better than we were expecting too.
Walking every week in the Peak District...or somewhere else   http://peakwalking.blogspot.com

GnP

• Veteran Member
Howden dam crossing.??
« Reply #3 on: 12:57:40, 20/10/20 »
Superb photos Lee. By coincidence I am hoping to do a walk with a friend in the near future near to Ladybower reservoir.

I cannot tell from any maps I have looked at if you can walk across Howden dam holding the waters of Howden reservoir  .. Do you know if it is possible.?

I know there is a road between Upper Derwent and Ladybower reservoir , but I was hoping to trap on a tad further up toward Howden dam and cross there if it is possible.  O0
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Lee in Doncaster

• Veteran Member
Re: Howden dam crossing.??
« Reply #4 on: 13:00:54, 20/10/20 »
Superb photos Lee. By coincidence I am hoping to do a walk with a friend in the near future near to Ladybower reservoir.

I cannot tell from any maps I have looked at if you can walk across Howden dam holding the waters of Howden reservoir  .. Do you know if it is possible.?

I know there is a road between Upper Derwent and Ladybower reservoir , but I was hoping to trap on a tad further up toward Howden dam and cross there if it is possible.  O0

No. You can't walk across Howden Dam - you can't even get a good view of it to photograph.

GnP

• Veteran Member
Re: Howden dam crossing.??
« Reply #5 on: 13:07:11, 20/10/20 »

No. You can't walk across Howden Dam - you can't even get a good view of it to photograph.
That`s a pity ....thanks though . !

I will get back to the drawing board and plotting the walk .

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 20:44:26, 22/10/20 »
It's a nice walk round Ladybower.  Last time I walked there Derwent Dam was overflowing so it was interesting to see it "dry", so to speak.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 09:29:14, 23/10/20 »
It's a nice walk round Ladybower.  Last time I walked there Derwent Dam was overflowing so it was interesting to see it "dry", so to speak.
Mel I am thinking of walking up the west side from Snake road , crossing over on the track/road then up toward the cairn at Lost lad then along the ridge of Derwent Edge high up on the other side of Ladybower , then back down toward Ashopton by Snake road.Do you know that area . Would you recommend it . ?
I want to plot a walk of between 10 and 15 mile .

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 13:07:14, 23/10/20 »
Hi G&P.  Yes I would.  It's about 10 miles.  If you're crossing at Fairholmes then Derwent Dam is worth the short detour (you'll recognise some of Lee's photos!), particularly if it's "flowing".  To add an extra mile or so the "plug-holes" at the southernmost end of the reservoir near the Heatherdene car park are worth a look too - again, particularly if there's been a lot of rain and they're "flowing".

You've jogged my memory a little - I believe I've done this walk some years ago now on a forum meet  :)

Hope this helps.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 13:34:27, 23/10/20 »

Hope this helps.

Yes indeed. Much appreciated, I will be looking over the OS map on walklakes again later .. :)

Pagegiam

« Reply #10 on: 09:12:20, 01/12/20 »
Hi G&P

Earlier this year I did a nice 10 miler starting at Cut throat bridge on the A57, I parked at the big layby 100 meters up the road.

Then walked round the side of Ladybower and climbed up to Lost Lad hill, as you mentioned, then back across Derwent edge and down to the bridge again. It was a great walk that could easily be added to. Disappointingly the cloud came in as I climbed so i missed most of the views from Derwent Edge :-[    

snaderson

« Reply #11 on: 13:56:40, 01/12/20 »
G&P, note that the car parks alongside the reservoirs are pay & display (unlike Cut Throat Bridge). There is/was a bus along that road all the way to the top end (Lee might know the details, as a dedicated bus user). I took it once and crossed the river at the aptly named Slippery Stones. Only at the other side did I notice there was a footbridge. D'oh!

Lee in Doncaster

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 15:13:53, 01/12/20 »
G&P, note that the car parks alongside the reservoirs are pay & display (unlike Cut Throat Bridge). There is/was a bus along that road all the way to the top end (Lee might know the details, as a dedicated bus user). I took it once and crossed the river at the aptly named Slippery Stones. Only at the other side did I notice there was a footbridge. D'oh!

Several of the car parks are free - the ones on the right as you are going up the valley.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 15:18:13, 01/12/20 »
Thanks folks , I have still yet to walk it , so information is all appreciated .  O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy